What was your second choice?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MrBurns10

Excellent, Smithers
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm just curious what everyone's second choice specialty was or is. For med students, do you plan on ranking a second field or just trying again if you don't match?

The only thing I remotely could see myself doing besides rads is psych, and the gap between the two is pretty big. I'm curious to see if there's any sort of consistency between what other fields people who like radiology enjoy.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm just curious what everyone's second choice specialty was or is. For med students, do you plan on ranking a second field or just trying again if you don't match?

The only thing I remotely could see myself doing besides rads is psych, and the gap between the two is pretty big. I'm curious to see if there's any sort of consistency between what other fields people who like radiology enjoy.

I liked psych, but I don't think I could do the everyday job... The other fields I considered as viable options were pathology > rad onc > derm

My second choice would be a toss up between EM or gas. EM because its residency is only 3 years and they usually work on average 45 hours a week for about $200k. Gas has better income than EM at about $300k. However, they need 4 years of training and the average anesthesiologist works as much as the average surgeon these days with about 60 hours per week.

Members don't see this ad :)
I also considered IM and rad onc.

I never considered surgery, but I know a lot of people interested in IR thought seriously about one surgical field or another.

<p>nothing but rads for application. give me rads or give me death damnit!</p>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
<p>I was that person in my class that had no clue what to do...till I met radiology.</p>

Peds (But only interviewed/ranking radiology)

After this presidency, I don't think I want to earn more than $250k/year, unless I hit the $1mil mark (ha!).

I'd agree, I'd gladly take a salary <$250K with minimal working hours

Funny how these new policies are going to discourage work ethic

:thumbdown:

I'd agree, I'd gladly take a salary <$250K with minimal working hours

Funny how these new policies are going to discourage work ethic

:thumbdown:
I don't get why people think this way. You're not going to be taxed at the higher bracket for all your money but just the additional money above $250k. Meaning even if you earn $251k you'll still take home more than if you earned $249.

I don't get why people think this way. You're not going to be taxed at the higher bracket for all your money but just the additional money above $250k. Meaning even if you earn $251k you'll still take home more than if you earned $249.

For me, it's because if I get taxed to the extreme on every dollar I earn over $250k, I'd rather spend that time enjoying myself than working. By enjoying myself, I actually mean things like: getting more sleep, going to the gym, devoting time to my marriage, raising my (future) children well... Working isn't fun. I work to make money. If you tell me that I'm going to get paid well up to $250k and then paid not very well after that, I'll just stop at $250k, thank you.

radiology was my only choice. i suppose pathology was a very distant second.

Surgery... and even then it was a distant second for me. I was also one of those people who didn't know what I wanted to do until radiology came along

Surgery... and even then it was a distant second for me. I was also one of those people who didn't know what I wanted to do until radiology came along
Me too. Psych was the only other thing I could see myself even doing, and it was/is far behind rads.

Last edited:
I'm thinking path or gas but they're way down the list.

Me too. Psych was the only other thing I could see myself even doing, and it was/is far behind rads.

Psych...interesting. I honestly don't know if I could imagine something more different than rads.

My distant #2 was gas, and I decided against it mainly because of a combination of the CRNA issues (the fact that the debate even EXISTS is enough to deter me away) and having to endure comments such as, "A little more Trendelenberg +/- please," or "Can you snap this up for me +/- please?"

the mere thought of putting up with the personalities in the OR nauseates me

from the surgeon down to the circulating nurse (even those can be a handful)

the mere thought of putting up with the personalities in the OR nauseates me

from the surgeon down to the circulating nurse (even those can be a handful)

The circulating nurses at my institution are particularly horrible, much worse than the surgeons themselves.

I fondly remember a circulating nurse during my second OR case yelling at me to finish suturing so she could get a cigarette. She was dead serious, too. The surgeons just laughed. :thumbdown: