What ways can I comfort/make life easier for my girlfriend in Dental School?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ghobs

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
My girlfriend of 3 years is currently a D1 in Arizona, I live in NY. She's currently going through a rough patch with her classes and is super overwhelmed. Keeping the distance in mind, what are some things I can do to comfort her and make her life easier during these stressful times? Visits obviously help, but I'd like to be able to do things for her when we're apart as well. I already do things like:
  1. Constant pep talks.
  2. Fill her Starbucks account so she can get coffee and treats on me.
  3. Have pizza delivered to her apt so she doesn't have to worry about making dinner.
  4. Mail her some of her favorite candy.
What are some other things that you would appreciate as a dental student?

Members don't see this ad.

You're already doing a lot of great things. This is something, though, that she has to get through herself. There're are probably resources at her school that can help her with studying or organizing. But again she has to get through this. You cannot study for her.

Reactions: 1 user
Can you move to Arizona to be with her? Four rough years in dental school without you isn't good for your future together.

Members don't see this ad :)
Can you move to Arizona to be with her? Four rough years in dental school without you isn't good for your future together.

I don't agree. He has to have his life too and I'm sure its easier to study this way.

It can be difficult at times with my long distance gf, but she has her goals too. I know a part of her would be happier here, but there a bigger part thats more important at the moment.

Reactions: 4 users
You are doing great. Only thing that I can advice you is to be understanding if she doesn't answer your text or phone call. You lose track of time when one stays in the lab doing projects.
"Ppt presentation makes it look easy, probably gonna take me 30 minutes" = Out of lab in 2 hours.
"I will be out in a bit, give me 5 minutes to pack up my stuff" = takes me 20 minutes.

Reactions: 5 users
You are doing great. Only thing that I can advice you is to be understanding if she doesn't answer your text or phone call. You lose track of time when one stays in the lab doing projects.
"Ppt presentation makes it look easy, probably gonna take me 30 minutes" = Out of lab in 2 hours.
"I will be out in a bit, give me 5 minutes to pack up my stuff" = takes me 20 minutes.
Best advice ever given on SDN! Love the things that you mention you are doing for her, but seriously don't ever get on her for not being instantly or readily available on her phone. Not suggesting you ever would, but if we're honest, 4 years is a long time and frustrations can start to mount. So just print out the advice that LaughingGas gave you and put it on your fridge :)

Reactions: 1 users
Give her the good old one-legged Russian wheelbarrow if you know what I mean. ;)

I'm finishing D1 now. Beginning of the year : 3/4 of the girls in my class had boyfriends, most long term, most long distance.

It is currently end of D1, and I'd say only 1/4-2/4(1/2 lol) of the girls in my class still have boyfriends. Most of those who were long distance broke it off (though I know quite a few are still on). That's quite the drop considering most were dating for years!

Edit : sorry, forgot to make my point. Point being, it would be best if you could be by her side, if it matches what your life needs at this point. If not, some people can make long distance work, but not everybody can