What will compensate for low GPA?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gbey

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
4 years of clinical experience.
Exellenet rec letters.
MCAT 36.
GPA 2.7.

Any hope for admission?or what would you do if you were in my place???

Members don't see this ad.

Hopefully, your MCAT will help you out a lot. I do think that an upward trend in your grades for the past year or two would help you out even more. Good luck!

Your letters, clinical experience (if it really exposes you to medicine) and your MCAT score should help offset your GPA (from what I hear)and will probably get you an interview, but its your interviews that will get you in if you do well and can explain why your GPA is kind of low. Good luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
you have hope. 36 MCATs are terrific. If you don't get in, i would do a post bac/MS or some further studies, and get a good GPA in that.

It looks like you have did all that you can do to offset your gpa. That is a great mcat score so I think that if you have a good personal statement and do well in your interviews that you will definitely have a solid chance. Maybe not at some of the top five schools but definitely at other schools.

Yes, I agree with Sonya. A post-bac program might be real help also. If you don't get in this year, I would definitely take that route and try to perform solidly.

Your MCAT score is great and can only help you. Yes, your GPA is low, but what is your Science GPA? Do you have a strong upward trend in your grades over the past couple of years? A higer Science GPA coupled with an overall upward trend can be helpful in offsetting a low overall GPA.

How much do adcoms pay attention to your science gpa? My problem: 2.97 cum GPA, 3.5 BCPM. Will my cummulative gpa keep me from getting interviews, assuming I have an average MCAT?

A million dollar donation to the school of your choice wouldn't hurt either. I would say that your GPA will be somewhat overlooked. High MCAT, low gpa, they will just label you a "slacker" or think that you were "bored" with class. Either way, they know you can handle the workload.

research, leadership, community service. i think.