What will compensate for low GPA?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by gbey, Jan 12, 2002.

1. gbey

gbey Junior Member

4 years of clinical experience.
    Exellenet rec letters.
    MCAT 36.
    GPA 2.7.

Any hope for admission?or what would you do if you were in my place???

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Medical123

Medical123 Senior Member

Hopefully, your MCAT will help you out a lot. I do think that an upward trend in your grades for the past year or two would help you out even more. Good luck!

4. SolidGold

SolidGold Florida winters are the best!

Attending Physician
    Your letters, clinical experience (if it really exposes you to medicine) and your MCAT score should help offset your GPA (from what I hear)and will probably get you an interview, but its your interviews that will get you in if you do well and can explain why your GPA is kind of low. Good luck.

5. Sonya

Sonya Senior Member

you have hope. 36 MCATs are terrific. If you don't get in, i would do a post bac/MS or some further studies, and get a good GPA in that.

6. reesie0726

reesie0726 Senior Member

It looks like you have did all that you can do to offset your gpa. That is a great mcat score so I think that if you have a good personal statement and do well in your interviews that you will definitely have a solid chance. Maybe not at some of the top five schools but definitely at other schools.

7. reesie0726

reesie0726 Senior Member

Yes, I agree with Sonya. A post-bac program might be real help also. If you don't get in this year, I would definitely take that route and try to perform solidly.

8. racergirl

racergirl Senior Member

Your MCAT score is great and can only help you. Yes, your GPA is low, but what is your Science GPA? Do you have a strong upward trend in your grades over the past couple of years? A higer Science GPA coupled with an overall upward trend can be helpful in offsetting a low overall GPA.

9. spanky

spanky Member

How much do adcoms pay attention to your science gpa? My problem: 2.97 cum GPA, 3.5 BCPM. Will my cummulative gpa keep me from getting interviews, assuming I have an average MCAT?

10. DarksideAllstar

DarksideAllstar you can pay me in bud

Resident [Any Field]
    A million dollar donation to the school of your choice wouldn't hurt either. I would say that your GPA will be somewhat overlooked. High MCAT, low gpa, they will just label you a "slacker" or think that you were "bored" with class. Either way, they know you can handle the workload.

11. rajneel1

rajneel1 Senior Member

research, leadership, community service. i think.