what will it take with a 2.5

Started by sumozmom
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I got my BS about 10 years ago with a 2.7/2.8 GPA. My grades ranged all over the place. I got As and even some Fs. Obviously, I was not very serious about school and pretty misguided. 8 years later, I enrolled in a MBA program and finished about 6 months ago with a 3.75 GPA while working full-time. Does my MBA count for anything.... probably not. Maybe it'll show how I have turned things around??? I'm about 1/2 way through my post-bac program and so far so good (4.0) and I'm fairly confident I'll continue to do well. I'm also volunteering at a couple hospitals and mentoring a little bro for big bro/sis program.

All that's left is the MCAT. Based on how I do will really determine whether I stay in the States for MD, DO, or going abroad for my MD. I went to an info session for SGU and it didn't seem all that bad. I'd rather go to a US school, but if it came down to it, I'd go to SGU rather than not going to a med school at all. If you haven't been to one of their info sessions, I'd recommend checking it out.

Best of luck to you, be persistent, maintain a high gpa in your post-bac, do well on your MCAT, and I'm sure there will be a school out there for you.
 
In case I missed it, what is your story? How did you get that GPA up enough to get in?
I, uh, didn't. Really, everything is in the link in my signature.

rhlsg - The first thing is getting over the 3.0 GPA. A lot of schools won't look at you unless you're over it. Even then, you'll need something beyond that to sell yourself to the school. MCAT is the one, best, and easiest thing to do at this point. Check out the AAMC's website for practice exams. Try one out, with a friend acting as exam proctor, and see how you do. Get around a 30 - you're doing well for the average applicant. You'll want something more (you have other parts of your application working against you,) but getting better than a 40 won't get you the same returns as getting over a thirty.
 
I got my BS about 10 years ago with a 2.7/2.8 GPA. My grades ranged all over the place. I got As and even some Fs. Obviously, I was not very serious about school and pretty misguided. 8 years later, I enrolled in a MBA program and finished about 6 months ago with a 3.75 GPA while working full-time. Does my MBA count for anything.... probably not. Maybe it'll show how I have turned things around??? I'm about 1/2 way through my post-bac program and so far so good (4.0) and I'm fairly confident I'll continue to do well. I'm also volunteering at a couple hospitals and mentoring a little bro for big bro/sis program.

All that's left is the MCAT. Based on how I do will really determine whether I stay in the States for MD, DO, or going abroad for my MD. I went to an info session for SGU and it didn't seem all that bad. I'd rather go to a US school, but if it came down to it, I'd go to SGU rather than not going to a med school at all. If you haven't been to one of their info sessions, I'd recommend checking it out.

Best of luck to you, be persistent, maintain a high gpa in your post-bac, do well on your MCAT, and I'm sure there will be a school out there for you.


I also graduated 10 years ago with a horrendous GPA (2.53) but I went to graduate school for science and was almost a 4.0. I scored well on the MCAT and I will be attending a DO school this August. It is possible. Just keep the upward trend going and do well on your MCAT and you should be fine.