1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

What will you do if you know you will not be accept by med school?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by grettlin, Jan 7, 2002.

1. grettlin

grettlin Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Hi,
    Do you ever think if you try your best, but you
    still do not get any acceptance from any school.
    Moreover, we might say that you had tried twice and feel frustrated. Then, what is the next step and your career plan? Could anyone talk about what do you think?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. THE instiGATOR

THE instiGATOR Cow Tipper
    7+ Year Member

I would have at least tried 3 times before considering another career.

I was in a position where I knew I was not going to be accepted last year. Here's what I did.

1) Decided to divide my remaining 4 classes between the following Fall and Spring semesters

2) Used the summer, during which I WAS going to finish my classes, to prepare for the August MCAT

3) Shadowed a surgeon (going on 9 months now)

4) Worked (I've paid off my car and am furnishing an apartment so I can live comfortably while in med school)

4. Lecular

Lecular Member
    7+ Year Member

If I don't get in I'd try again and again until I do. I'd rather spend a year, two years , x years attempting to pursue what I love and want to do in my life than spend the REST of my life doing something I hate.

Failing isn't falling, it's staying down :)

5. mpp

mpp SDN Moderator
    Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I know it's probably a bit early to be thinking this, but I am already planning my re-application for next year -- I'm kind of a plan ahead type of person.

First I plan to contact schools to find out why I was not accepted -- what was missing, where can I improve. I'm already thinking about how to re-write that damn personal statement and practice vision. I've also further researched osteopathic schools. Before I began my application cycle last year I knew very little about it, but for what I'm looking for in a career, osteopathic medicine seems very fitting for me. I've expanded my list of M.D. schools for next year will contact some local D.O.'s for shadowing opportunities.

I do hope all this is for naught, but I must keep busy doing something since I'm sure not busy going on interviews or opening envelopes with acceptance letters in them.

6. daisygirl

daisygirl woof
    15+ Year Member

7. Kadyra

Kadyra Will drive for music.
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Let's see... Last year when my final rejection came, I got drunk and my friends took me out to dinner. Then I made an appointment with one of my profs and discussed my options with him. I was doing an independent study in his lab and had done the grunt work on an experiment that was really important to him, so he was very helpful. I also spoke with other profs and the docs I got my LORs from. I got my act together and pulled a 4.0 my final semester of college. My course schedule wasn't that heavy, but a 4.0 is always nice. I decided that I would apply two more times before giving up (my orthopedic surgeon's wife applied four times before she was accepted) and that the third time I applied, I would also apply to a master's program. Once I had completed the master's program, I would apply again one more time-- I am a masochist, I know ;) I had a DO LOR so I applied to DO school as well as allopathic. I made sure that I had EC activities lined up. Basically I did everything but retake the MCAT. I'm currently at a temp agency (I hate the economy!)-- I had a job in a neuropharmacology lab, but that's a long story...

Anyway, I just buckled down and decided I couldn't give up. I did almost everything in my power to try and improve my app. If none of my allopathic schools come through, I'll be at DO school in Phoenix, which is fine by me :)

8. grettlin

grettlin Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Do anyone consider dental school if you decide to change your career in MD field?
    I ever saw a post in this web site that a safe GPA to the admission committe of med school is 3.5 and to dental school, you might have chance if one can keep his/her GPA at least 3.0. Any idea?

9. UCLA2000

7+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I would find the weak points in my application and dedicate the next year to fixing them. Do you have low mcat scores? Does your gpa suck? Do you have poor interview skills? What is it about your application that is weak. Find the problem and fix it.

10. alice

alice Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

I have thought about this one a lot. Please don't jump down my throat for responding to this because I have been lucky enough to be accepted already.

BUT, even before that happened, I knew this was the only shot for me with AMCAS. This was my reasoning: I have busted my butt for a long time getting my application ready (lining up experiences, taking the classes, etc.). I really felt as though I did everything I could. If I knew of an area I could definitely have improved upon in a year, I would perhaps have re-applied. But I think I would have taken it hard and thought that if med schools didn't want me, screw them. And then I would have become a chef or an english teacher.

This is not meant to be an unmotivating statement. If any of you are discouraged and then reapply after improving whatever you saw as your weakness, I am sure you will have great success. And I admire the tenacity that takes. I am all for 'if at first you don't succeed...', but in this case, I think I only had enough stamina for one round. Maybe I would feel differently after a few years.

11. Kadyra

Kadyra Will drive for music.
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student

12. Smoke This

Smoke This Sweet cuppin' cakes!
    10+ Year Member

13. grettlin

grettlin Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Hi Smoke This,
    I sincerely hope you can be accept by one of the med schools you apply and make your dream come true. Since I am just at the beginning to head to pre-med and med stuff, I could not have any concrete suggestion. However, I believe you can make it! Let us know when you get "thick" envelope. :)