What will you do if you know you will not be accept by med school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

grettlin

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
Do you ever think if you try your best, but you
still do not get any acceptance from any school.
Moreover, we might say that you had tried twice and feel frustrated. Then, what is the next step and your career plan? Could anyone talk about what do you think?

Members don't see this ad.

I would have at least tried 3 times before considering another career.

I was in a position where I knew I was not going to be accepted last year. Here's what I did.

1) Decided to divide my remaining 4 classes between the following Fall and Spring semesters

2) Used the summer, during which I WAS going to finish my classes, to prepare for the August MCAT

3) Shadowed a surgeon (going on 9 months now)

4) Worked (I've paid off my car and am furnishing an apartment so I can live comfortably while in med school)

If I don't get in I'd try again and again until I do. I'd rather spend a year, two years , x years attempting to pursue what I love and want to do in my life than spend the REST of my life doing something I hate.

Failing isn't falling, it's staying down :)

Members don't see this ad :)
I know it's probably a bit early to be thinking this, but I am already planning my re-application for next year -- I'm kind of a plan ahead type of person.

First I plan to contact schools to find out why I was not accepted -- what was missing, where can I improve. I'm already thinking about how to re-write that damn personal statement and practice vision. I've also further researched osteopathic schools. Before I began my application cycle last year I knew very little about it, but for what I'm looking for in a career, osteopathic medicine seems very fitting for me. I've expanded my list of M.D. schools for next year will contact some local D.O.'s for shadowing opportunities.

I do hope all this is for naught, but I must keep busy doing something since I'm sure not busy going on interviews or opening envelopes with acceptance letters in them.

I know it's probably a bit early to be thinking this, but I am already planning my re-application for next year -- I'm kind of a plan ahead type of person.
••
You are not alone mpp, I am also doing the same!

If I don't get in this year, I am going to improve my application where it is lacking; namely my MCAT score. I will retake the MCAT and I will participate in more EC actvities. I must admit that the thought of having to rewrite all of those essays (especially the personal state.) gives me a stomach ache! :eek: :( :eek:

I would apply three times before giving up. :)

Let's see... Last year when my final rejection came, I got drunk and my friends took me out to dinner. Then I made an appointment with one of my profs and discussed my options with him. I was doing an independent study in his lab and had done the grunt work on an experiment that was really important to him, so he was very helpful. I also spoke with other profs and the docs I got my LORs from. I got my act together and pulled a 4.0 my final semester of college. My course schedule wasn't that heavy, but a 4.0 is always nice. I decided that I would apply two more times before giving up (my orthopedic surgeon's wife applied four times before she was accepted) and that the third time I applied, I would also apply to a master's program. Once I had completed the master's program, I would apply again one more time-- I am a masochist, I know ;) I had a DO LOR so I applied to DO school as well as allopathic. I made sure that I had EC activities lined up. Basically I did everything but retake the MCAT. I'm currently at a temp agency (I hate the economy!)-- I had a job in a neuropharmacology lab, but that's a long story...

Anyway, I just buckled down and decided I couldn't give up. I did almost everything in my power to try and improve my app. If none of my allopathic schools come through, I'll be at DO school in Phoenix, which is fine by me :)

Do anyone consider dental school if you decide to change your career in MD field?
I ever saw a post in this web site that a safe GPA to the admission committe of med school is 3.5 and to dental school, you might have chance if one can keep his/her GPA at least 3.0. Any idea?

I would find the weak points in my application and dedicate the next year to fixing them. Do you have low mcat scores? Does your gpa suck? Do you have poor interview skills? What is it about your application that is weak. Find the problem and fix it.

I have thought about this one a lot. Please don't jump down my throat for responding to this because I have been lucky enough to be accepted already.

BUT, even before that happened, I knew this was the only shot for me with AMCAS. This was my reasoning: I have busted my butt for a long time getting my application ready (lining up experiences, taking the classes, etc.). I really felt as though I did everything I could. If I knew of an area I could definitely have improved upon in a year, I would perhaps have re-applied. But I think I would have taken it hard and thought that if med schools didn't want me, screw them. And then I would have become a chef or an english teacher.

This is not meant to be an unmotivating statement. If any of you are discouraged and then reapply after improving whatever you saw as your weakness, I am sure you will have great success. And I admire the tenacity that takes. I am all for 'if at first you don't succeed...', but in this case, I think I only had enough stamina for one round. Maybe I would feel differently after a few years.

Originally posted by alice:
•This is not meant to be an unmotivating statement. If any of you are discouraged and then reapply after improving whatever you saw as your weakness, I am sure you will have great success. And I admire the tenacity that takes. I am all for 'if at first you don't succeed...', but in this case, I think I only had enough stamina for one round. Maybe I would feel differently after a few years.•••

I didn't think I had the stamina for reapplying (especially with all the crap we had to deal with this year) and I questioned what I was doing many times in the process. I still question it, but I have that stubborn/determined streak in me. So I applied again even though I had a lot of the same feelings as you (I said "screw them!" a lot at first). I had to-- I am one of those people who can't stand to look back and go "what if?" Everyone I know supported me in this decision and even though it has been tough waiting another year, I haven't had to do it alone and that helps a lot too. I also did not think last year that I could improve on anything-- boy was I wrong! Maybe you really didn't have anything to improve on, but unless you are faced with the situation (and fortunately, you won't be), you'll never know ;)

Originally posted by Lecular:
•Failing isn't falling, it's staying down :) ••</blockquote>Word.

Before I applied, I figured that I would either get in on my first try or have unbridled stamina to reapply as many times as it takes. Boy, was I wrong! :( It takes a lot out of you to have med school after med school tell you that you are unfit to be a doctor, which of course was the career that I've had my heart set on. Now, it's starting to look like I might need a backup plan, but we shall see. I don't want to be too melodramatic, since I still have an interview or two left and I might be pleasantly surpised. However, I don't feel that eager to reapply next year. I have been incredibly fortunate to have my parents helping to support me financially, but I feel very guilty about wasting their money on exorbitant app fees, AMCAS (boo! :mad: ), and fruitless interview junkets, and I don't want to stolidly keep throwing their money and mine down a hole. Nothing has changed, so I see little reason to immediately reapply. If I do end up rejected everywhere I applied, I hope I'll be able to pick myself up as Lecular's quote alludes, but again, we shall see.

If I do get rejected everywhere, I've thought about moving to Texas (where I have some family) and getting state residency there since they have so many state schools. My uncle suggested that I come to Houston with him and presumably he or my cousin (a Baylor COM grad student) could set me up with a lab job somewhere. This is somewhat tempting, moreso since there's some great road biking down there. However, I'm not so sure that I'll want to do this med thing, at least not right away.

Dentistry has been a thought. I'm really excited for a good friend of mine who just got into dental school a few weeks ago. That's what he's wanted to do basically all his life, and the way he described the profession (laid-back lifestyle, low stress, autonomy, satisfaction, etc.) makes it pretty tempting. I'd probably have to shadow a dentist or do some pre-dental extracurriculars (?), but if I had a year anyway, this might be a possibility.

Another option, and one that I'll probably do, is to try to work for the government. I don't exactly have a broadly marketable degree, but some government agencies are hiring in my major, and I think that would be a good time. If I don't get one of these jobs, the next step is to become a military officer, or failing that, to simply enlist. I was actually thinking quite a bit about joining the military before 9/11, and even more so now, so I wouldn't exactly be broken up about this. Plus, I think I would enjoy that environment and the travel. I don't want to do grad school, at least not at this point. I'm burned out on undergrad school and jumping through all the premed hoops. Don't get me wrong, I would enjoy more school if it were med school, but my heart just wouldn't be in to getting a grad degree simply to get into med school, and I'd rather do something I enjoy instead of being miserable for 2 to 6 years locked in some lab somewhere. If I don't get into med school, I'm going to say no to more school and more premed hoops to jump through and try to get a job and hopefully marry my girlfriend, which would only be possible if I had a job or serious prospects for the future (like an acceptance), and not if I were whiling away my time in Texas or living in my parents' basement. Then, maybe in a few years, I might try this med thing again. Maybe in a few years I'll love what I'm doing so much that I'll never look back. And maybe I'll get into med school after all.

But again, we shall see. ;)

Hi Smoke This,
I sincerely hope you can be accept by one of the med schools you apply and make your dream come true. Since I am just at the beginning to head to pre-med and med stuff, I could not have any concrete suggestion. However, I believe you can make it! Let us know when you get "thick" envelope. :)