What will you do?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

IMBD

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
\

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Why not do well on the remaining 75% of your course and raise your grade to a high B or A-?

Dude its the first paper...calm down. .and just work harder for a better grade 4 the next assignments. Don't be a quitter.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Tapatalk

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi all,

I am taking a English class right now and I just received my grade for my first paper (25% of my grade) and I got a C on it. Should I play safe and drop the course? I have two days to decide.

Here is my little profile:
I am a senior right now with (sgpa/ogpa) 3.66/3.63 and 22/22/20 (20RC).

If I were to drop it now, I will be taking it again in the summer. I am guessing from the other posts that I could take the course while applying to dental school right?

Any other class and I'd agree with the other two. But this is English...where the grading can be completely subjective.

If you're worried about it then maybe dropping the class and taking it again this summer w a different prof/classmates may be all the difference.

I was a little borderline psychotic w my grades in UG...but I then didn't have any problem w dental school acceptance, so to me it was worth it

Any other class and I'd agree with the other two. But this is English...where the grading can be completely subjective.

If you're worried about it then maybe dropping the class and taking it again this summer w a different prof/classmates may be all the difference.

I was a little borderline psychotic w my grades in UG...but I then didn't have any problem w dental school acceptance, so to me it was worth it

i'd argue that subjective grading is easiest to manipulate. just go to their office hours with a draft, they'll make changes and tell you what they actually want to see. if you follow that, in my experience you're pretty good

social science classes are kind of required that you see the ta/professor outside of class. us science people often forget that since science is usually either true or false.

i'd argue that subjective grading is easiest to manipulate. just go to their office hours with a draft, they'll make changes and tell you what they actually want to see. if you follow that, in my experience you're pretty good

social science classes are kind of required that you see the ta/professor outside of class. us science people often forget that since science is usually either true or false.

I'll agree with that. So probably the best advice would be to talk to your prof/ta...see what can be done, if anything... And if doom is imminent then drop it

Hi all,

I am taking a English class right now and I just received my grade for my first paper (25% of my grade) and I got a C on it. Should I play safe and drop the course? I have two days to decide.

If I were to drop it now, I will be taking it again in the summer. I am guessing from the other posts that I could take the course while applying to dental school right?

Have you taken any other english or writing classes? I believe there are schools that have these classes as one of their prerequisites. If so, I see no benefit in risking it by finishing the course. You might be able to work hard and pull it up to an A-, but you might not. With your current grades, anything lower than an A- brings you down overall.:scared: The ultimate goal is to be a competitive applicant for dental school, which you seem to be right now.:) You can just take the course this summer, after having sent in your application on June 1. Even if you are missing one english prerequisite, they will review you and will often extend you interviews. You will just have to complete the course before matriculating as a student. I was missing one prerequisite class at the time I applied, and ended up being offered 10 interviews. Just do the November update with the course grade. You can always just use the extra time to do more shadowing/volunteering/research this semester before applying. :thumbup:

Last edited:
Hi all,

Yes you can, I would probably drop it if you think you'll get a C. There's no need to lower your GPA, even thought it will be a minor bump downwards. Retake it and knock it out with and you'll be fine.

The thing is, even though grading in English courses can be subjective, bad writing is, well, bad writing. The only way to get better at writing is to practice. I would take this opportunity to work with the prof and see what areas you can improve upon. Odds are better for you to improve in the class if the prof knows you are serious about it and are willing to do the work. If you haven't applied yet, you will still need to write your personal statement. Your English course will help with that.

Stick it out and do better. You will thank me later.

just drop it and retake the class online in a local community college near you to get an A without even trying.

Sent from my SGH-T959V using SDN Mobile

just drop it and retake the class online in a local community college near you to get an A without even trying.

Sent from my SGH-T959V using SDN Mobile

I agree.

It's only one paper. I got a 54% on my first Biochem test. I thought about dropping, but stayed with it... I still ended with a B in the course. It's English... I think you can do it!

Remember you don't get to drop any class in dental school! Good luck and try harder!!! Giving up is not an option :)

Hi all,

Do you know why you got a C on it? Was it bad writing on your part or do you think the professor was unfair with grading?

If it was bad writing, you can improve and get better grades on your next assignments.

If it's professor like he/she didn't give you good feedback as to why you received a C... then maybe it's better off to drop it.

If I were you, I would tough it out. Getting a C on an english paper is not that bad, especially when you have time to make it up.

worst comes to worst stay enrolled and if ur grades are still bad withdraw right before the deadline...