What would be most beneficial for me to do this summer? Research or clinical experience?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

didyouknow96

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I'm a junior in college, my major is Behavior and Health. I had been planning to be an Occupational Therapist for a WHILE but last month I just realized I was picking that career because I thought I wasn't "smart enough" to go into research/PhD work like I wanted to back in high school. I want to study schizophrenia, specifically the prodromal phase and the onset of psychosis.
Here is what I've done in college as far as extracurriculars:

Tae Kwon Do
SAT Tutor for low income school students
Prison Book Club
Worked at a rehab facility for people with Alzheimers, Dementia, Parkinsons
Worked as a teacher for at risk children (full time, wrote curriculum, 8 weeks over the summer)
One semester research experience in a lab studying the risk of falling after Bariatric (Weight-loss) surgery.
One semester intern at a mental health outpatient facility, interacting with and helping with therapy for bipolar disorder, schizophrenic patients, individuals that failed to respond to therapy.
One semester research in a lab studying verbal and social language development in children with autism. Will continue working here

I'm wondering what internship I should pursue this summer that would be most valuable to getting into a PhD program (I'm going to take a gap year though). Research or clinical experience?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)