What would be the impact on physicians if Obamacare is repealed?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Fried Plantaris

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I guess first ACB has to get confirmed, but if she does what is the risk to Obamacare? Would that lead to higher physician reimbursements? What are the other consequences that may result?

Members don't see this ad.

reimbursements would increase. But a Biden win would lead to universal healthcare (or 2-tier system) which will cause salaries to plummet. Hard to say the trajectory at the moment.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would imagine reimbursements increase. Also, if I am not mistaken, Physician employment under Hospitals might come to an end too. The legislation really worked favorably for hospitals, and was hard on private practices by increasing overhead. Without the focus on the metrics, ACOs and pro-integration aspect, hospitals may not find it profitable to create Physician Groups. Couple that with Trump's transparent pricing plus CMS killing off facility fees for site neutral payment, that could really tilt the tables.

Last edited:
Physicians would be able to practice without the financially burdensome EHR system and Medicare guidelines that are designed to control costs.

Physician reimbursements are facing massive cuts by CMS from the current administration, I don’t understand how getting rid of ACA will change that.

The ACA did work out well for large hospital systems. I’m not a fan of physicians being employees but I’m not sure that getting rid of the ACA will turn that boat around.

I guess first ACB has to get confirmed, but if she does what is the risk to Obamacare? Would that lead to higher physician reimbursements? What are the other consequences that may result?
It will likely lead to more cash payments rather than billing insurance. That's the biggest thing I see ahead.
More cash payments change the supply/demand curve and will force the invisible hand to price reimbursements for txs/procedures higher and higher over time.

So vote Republican :D

Physician reimbursements are facing massive cuts by CMS from the current administration, I don’t understand how getting rid of ACA will change that.

The ACA did work out well for large hospital systems. I’m not a fan of physicians being employees but I’m not sure that getting rid of the ACA will turn that boat around.
The ACA was very well-intentioned but became a huge mess. I feel like it is costing us way, way, way too much money to keep it going. It's time to cut out the red tape and let people decide for themselves if they want to invest in their health.

It would be nice to see some actual numbers to support this claim that getting rid of ACA would increase reimbursements. I didn’t notice any change in reimbursement after ACA was passed and I doubt I’ll notice a change if they get rid of it - just maybe more uninsured patients at the hospital’s ER. There was no drop in physician incomes after the passing of the ACA.

It would be nice to see some actual numbers to support this claim that getting rid of ACA would increase reimbursements. I didn’t notice any change in reimbursement after ACA was passed and I doubt I’ll notice a change if they get rid of it - just maybe more uninsured patients at the hospital’s ER. There was no drop in physician incomes after the passing of the ACA.
Do you have data to support this?

Here’s a random report I found on the web by a healthcare consulting company showing that physicians salaries have actually increased. You can also look at mgma data, etc

This one is more specific to the ACA. Again showing an increase in physician salary post ACA

Here’s a random report I found on the web by a healthcare consulting company showing that physicians salaries have actually increased. You can also look at mgma data, etc

Well, in fact, all salaries have increased. It's called inflation.

Reactions: 1 user
I would gladly take a small paycut in terms of my annual income if it means an end to the BS with "metrics," allowing physicians to own hospitals again, ending biased legislation toward hospital consolidation, increased overhead, ACOs, and promoting policies that help foster more independent private practices. Right now, as it stands, this bill works to kill independent practices and reward large groups/hospitals/consolidated corporate care.

Reactions: 1 users