what would u do

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

disruptor

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, just want your opinion on a situation I am in. I have a midterm tonight in a 400 level biology class but just got sick yesterday and am not feeling 100% at all to write this test. However, there is no deferred midterm and the professor said the remaining components of the course grade will be prorated to arrive at a final grade. Obviously the final which is worth 40% can be worth alot more, maybe even 75% since the midterm is worth 35%. I'm debating if i should go write it even if im not feeling well because I have studied quite a bit for it, but am also unsure because I do not know if being sick will affect my thinking because it is more a thinking test with alot of written.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

disruptor said:
Hey guys, just want your opinion on a situation I am in. I have a midterm tonight in a 400 level biology class but just got sick yesterday and am not feeling 100% at all to write this test. However, there is no deferred midterm and the professor said the remaining components of the course grade will be prorated to arrive at a final grade. Obviously the final which is worth 40% can be worth alot more, maybe even 75% since the midterm is worth 35%. I'm debating if i should go write it even if im not feeling well because I have studied quite a bit for it, but am also unsure because I do not know if being sick will affect my thinking because it is more a thinking test with alot of written.

Thanks

suck it up and take the test. Unless your seriously sick, which requires medical attention, there should be no reason for you to miss the exam. If you require medical attention, make sure you keep the note from your doctor, so that you can prove to your professor you were sick.

Thing is with food poisoning, I've had to throw up alot so i might have to go out of the exam room alot and who knows if it'll even happen in the exam room (as gross as that sounds). I already have a doctor's note.

Members don't see this ad :)
disruptor said:

Thanks

why don't u try contacting your professor and explain to him your situation. if he's willing to have u run in and out of the classroom then i would go ahead take ur test and get it over with, especially since u've already done quite a bit of studying for it. i know some professors say they don't give a deferred exam, but sometimes in case of legitimate sickness, they may allow u to write it at a later date. good luck. hope u feel better.

As much as it sucks, HD is right. If you are not in need of a hospitol bed, thant you have to take the exam. I just took three exams last tuesday with a fever of 101. It sucked pretty badly, but better get some points than no points right? Feel better,

I don't think that you have to be confined to a hospital bed to get a test postponed . . . although, I would go to a doctor and get a note that you could show your teacher. I took a history test last semester while I had food poisening (I ate a little too many nachos the night before). Halfway through the test I was feeling a little nasty so I finished the essay part really really fast, turned in my test, and the very second I walked out of the building I heaved all over the steps. Pretty nasty site, plus there was puke right outside the most crowded building on campus!

I had a situation similar to yours last summer. Two days before my O-chem final I came up with a severe case of body hives. The hives were so thick it looked like I gained ten pounds. It attacked my entire body and face (every imaginable place, it was there). I could not concentrate nor think because it was extremely itchy and hot (yeah, steam was literally seeping through my skin). So I was not able to study at all for two days. I went into my final telling myself that everything will be okay. And because I have been somewhat prepared throughout the quarter I knew I wouldn't completely fail.

I prayed for a long time, took my final and ended up with a B+ in the class. I felt that I could have gotten an A if this had not happened. But I truly believe everything happens for a reason. I knew my body was telling me to calm down and take it easy. I talked to my doctor soon after my final and found out that it was caused from stress. See, it was really not worth it.

So my advice is to take it easy. Do what you can and you'll be ok. Your health is a lot more important than a grade. It seems like you are pretty prepared for it, so go in there knowing that and I think you will be just fine. Hope that helps.

Agreed. Take it and then go home and sleep it off.

Thanks for the comments. I've already confirmed with my professor that I am going to be writing it. I know there's much worse things out there that could happen to an individual in these circumstances so I know I should be confident seeing as I have studied all the material.

just take a bucket with you; when u have the need to hurl, go for it. It'll make everybody else sick, and they'll screw up their exam from the disgust. so u wont have to worry too much about doing too bad

go buy some cola syrup at meijers or your local pharmacy if you can find it. one time over the summer i had a stomach flu but i could not miss an orgo class because summer classes are like 4 hours long and cover a ton of material. anyways the cola syrup did wonders to settle my stomach. my second piece of advice is make sure you sit in the very back of the room and at the end of an aisle. i doubt if your professor will let you leave and come back (in case you are trying to cheat and call someone or something), so just sit as far away from other people as possible.

Take your barf bucket that contains some recent puke into class. Go up to the prof before the test is handed out, get a good whiff of the vapors arising from your bucket, and puke gain. Let him know you want to take the test but are concerned about infecting others...throw the ball in the prof's court. Bet the prof will excuse you from class with a promise that you can take the test at a later date. :D

Thats weak do you plan on making it in the real world?

give the guy a break, do you want to be taking an exam and have the guy next you u throw up? i didn't think so. also, try to remember last time you were sick and how bad it feels. i just thank goodness i have never been really sick on an exam day because i wouldn't know what to do either.

originally posted by smang
Thats weak do you plan on making it in the real world?

First of all I know each one of us have experienced different things in life. Do not tell me if i can make it in the real world because I cannot write a test because I might be constantly puking. Have you ever gotten asthma that made you not be able to stay outside for longer than a few minutes? Have you ever seen your best friend die infront of you? Do not tell me if i can make it in a real world because I know we all can by our life experiences. I am about to get my degree, and there has been many times where i wrote tests not feeling well. This was just the worse out of them all. Do not base making it in the real world on a test, because like biogirl361 said:
do you want to be taking an exam and have the guy next you u throw up? i didn't think so.

By the way I wrote the exam, I guess that means I can make it in life now?

Lets close this thread as I do not want to be taking up any more comments over such a debatable topic and one that is quite useless since its moment of purpose has passed. I do not want one of these threads to be one of those immature ones where people keep on arguing over something idiotic. I am sorry for posting this if I have offended some of you.

did u take the bucket like i said

take it man. and dont make stupid threads like this. call you mom. laters

I cannot comprehend this question to begin with.

If you are a guy, your penis might as well just pack up the balls and settle somewhere else.

I can't believe you can't make this decision by yourself.

Next time you go outside, make sure you have a sign on your back with "Free-give-away: a pair of testicles".