What Would You Ask an Admissions Counselor???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

JMarcusDPT

Jasmine Marcus, PT DPT CSCS
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi All,

In this crazy time, I had an idea to create a resource for pre-PT's interviewing a friend and former professors of mine who do PT school admissions. What questions do you want me to ask them??

Thanks!
 
This is more geared towards questions about the admissions process. Anyone else?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
This is more geared towards questions about the admissions process. Anyone else?
Doctor Marcus,

I am currently sending out my applications but after being waitlisted at one school I have really started to worry. I recently left the Army after serving for the past 5 years as an Engineer Officer with one deployment to Iraq. I have 107 observation hours, 3.9 GPA for pre requisites and I feel very confident in my essay questions. I was a mathematics major in college and unfortunately only received a 2.89 GPA. At the time all I wanted to do with my life was branch combat arms in the Army but after serving for 5 years I have matured greatly and discovered that I have passion to become a physical therapist. Is my 2.89 undergraduate GPA going to significantly effect my application and is there anything else I can to improve my application. Thank you!
 
Doctor Marcus,

I am currently sending out my applications but after being waitlisted at one school I have really started to worry. I recently left the Army after serving for the past 5 years as an Engineer Officer with one deployment to Iraq. I have 107 observation hours, 3.9 GPA for pre requisites and I feel very confident in my essay questions. I was a mathematics major in college and unfortunately only received a 2.89 GPA. At the time all I wanted to do with my life was branch combat arms in the Army but after serving for 5 years I have matured greatly and discovered that I have passion to become a physical therapist. Is my 2.89 undergraduate GPA going to significantly effect my application and is there anything else I can to improve my application. Thank you!
I would try to add more observation hours, and if you didn't do well in any pre-reqs, retake them
 
What qualities do they look for during an interview? What do interviewees do that is a big mistake and makes a negative impression?

As someone on an admissions committee, I can tell you that we look for honesty and self-reflection. We can tell when you are reciting a googled response to common questions and we can tell when you are really being truthful with us and, more importantly, yourself. Also, it is a misstep to think of other applicants (if you are doing group interviews) as competitors. Do not make the mistake of continually trying to "one up" the applicant next to you.
Show us your passion. Geek out a little. Try not to have a panic attack.