Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

what would you choose and why?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by sweetsaja, Dec 13, 2008.

1. sweetsaja

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Let's just say you feel like you have no hope of getting into a med school in the US even after a gap year and your life situation is such that you can't spend 2-3yrs extra after graduation improving your application. GPA 3.35cum/3.16bcmp/3.21DO. No MCAT/DAT/OAT/anything yet. Help!!

What would you do?

No gap yr and just apply straight to a caribbean medical school?
    No gap yr and just apply to optometry school really late(march deadline)?
    Take a yr off and then apply to optometry school?
    Take a yr off and apply to dental schools?
    Take a yr off and apply to DO schools.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. drhouse42

7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Take a yr off and apply to DO schools.

4. RySerr21

RySerr21 i aint kinda hot Im sauna
    10+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]

you shouldn't apply to optometry/dental school as a back up to medical school. Thats not how it works. They are all very different professions. If you want to be a dentist, apply to dental school. Optometrist? Then apply to optometry programs. But if you want to become a physician, then apply MD, DO, or caribb.

If youve decided that you want to become a doctor, i suggest you 1) take your MCAT and depending on that score i apply to both MD and DO and make sure you apply early. GPA is a little on the low side for even DO schools (average is about 3.45) but if you apply broadly and if the rest of your app is solid, you should be fine. good luck.

5. iA-MD2013

Moderator Emeritus 5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    :thumbup:

6. halekulani

halekulani Member
    10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    none because it seems like i'm not really interested in any of the fields

7. phospho

phospho SDN Lifetime Donor
    Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    :thumbup:

8. hoya09

2+ Year Member

MD/PhD Student
    I just got into the MD school of my choice (OOS) with your cGPA and a lower sGPA (about 2.97). I didn't take any time off. It's not impossible for you to do the same, but you need to make sure everything else about your app is as close to perfect as you can get it. Also, do quite a bit of thinking about whether or not this is what you really want. You may only get one or two interviews so when you get the chance- you have to sell your ideas with enthusiasm and sincerity. Best of luck :luck:

9. EpiPEN

EpiPEN Aegis of Immortality
    2+ Year Member

Medical Student

Yes, now all he needs is a 35+ MCAT score, years of research experience, and clinical exposure to prove he is actually interested in doing medicine

10. hoya09

2+ Year Member

MD/PhD Student
    Well he (or she) didn't give us much info.. I didn't say it would be easy. In fact, I know from experience how difficult it is to overcome a subpar (my MD standards) GPA. Nonetheless it can be done, and for lack of a complete picture, I have no reason to think that the OP doesn't have research, clinical, experience, and a shot at a decent MCAT. Having a low GPA doesn't exclude someone from having the other pieces of the puzzle...

11. EpiPEN

EpiPEN Aegis of Immortality
    2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    yea I know, wasn't trying to say you were wrong, just wanted to bring some realism to the OP too. Hopefully not too much to discourage.

12. qtMD

7+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    That's a bit harsh.... I know ppl who got into both MD and DO school with a 3.0 and 27 mcat. It is harder, you have to apply early and have a good application in regards to extracurrriculars and essays, but it's def possible to get in.

I would take my mcat and work on other parts of ur app while trying to keep my grades up. Hope that helps & best of luck

13. JJMrK

JJMrK J to the J
    Physician Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    EpiPEN said that as a response to hoya09, who has a lower gpa but also has a 35 MCAT and ridiculous ECs.

14. Kaustikos

Kaustikos Archerize It
    7+ Year Member

When your gpa is 1 SD from the mean or more, you have to try harder to prove you want this more than someone with an ave gpa and ave MCAT. That's all Epi was getting at. Also, if you had looked at the profile of the person Epi was quoting, you would understand what was meant by the comment as well.

I would take a year off and go DO. Definitely not Caribbean and definitely NOT any profession outside of being a physician.

15. dally1025

7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    i got into 2 MD schools with a 3.3 overall, 3.1 so it's worth a shot (at least with a reasonable mcat). i only took a year off (but i enjoyed it so much i decided to take another)... you probably should figure out what you want before you take one of the exams. shadow some people of each profession and figure out what you want to do.