What would you do if you weren't accepted? How to answer if you already are?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrElliotReid

Double Frick! Where's Carla?
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know that during interviews many schools like to ask you what you would do if you weren't accepted to medical school this year or what your back up plan is. So, how should you respond if you have already been accepted? Tell them that you won't need to worry about that b/c you've already got an acceptance or just pretend like you don't and answer how you would if you didn't have one?

Insight on this is appreciated :)

Members don't see this ad.

I know that during interviews many schools like to ask you what you would do if you weren't accepted to medical school this year or what your back up plan is. So, how should you respond if you have already been accepted? Tell them that you won't need to worry about that b/c you've already got an acceptance or just pretend like you don't and answer how you would if you didn't have one?

Just say you are fortunate to have an acceptance. I don't see any advantage to pretending you don't have one yet. Perhaps emphasize the fact that you are holding an acceptance and yet still interviewing at X school, as a way to show that you have a real interest in ultimately attending X school.

Both of those options are horrible.

How about just telling them what you would probably do in the meantime (e.g., reapply, work, postbac, whatever)?

Members don't see this ad :)
what would you do if you weren't accepted? the question is a hypothetical. so, answer the question :rolleyes:

ronaldo's suggestion is less good because that answer evades what the question is asking.

How about just telling them what you would probably do in the meantime (e.g., reapply, work, postbac, whatever)?

i guess i'm confused as to how this idea is any different from answering the hypothetical i.e. pretending :confused:

Methinks you're suggesting the very same as his second option. Pretending like you don't and answering would necessarily entail explaining what you would do in the meantime if you hadn't been accepted.

I suppose that yeah, it depends how the question is ultimately worded. But I don't think the ADCOM means to ask a theoretical question. If you already held an acceptance, what use would it be to the adcom to theoretically know what you would have done if you didn't have that acceptance?

Usually it's "tell me what you will do if you aren't accepted this cycle"

Last edited:
Well there's a difference between bull****ting and talking about what you plan to do. If you're worried about not getting any acceptances, then I should hope that you have some kind of idea what you're going to do in the meantime. I feel like you probably don't need rock solid plans, but at least SOME idea of how you'll be spending your time.

I interpreted from the OP's post that he was just going to lie. My bad.

There are two different things going on here:

some interviewers want to see how badly you want this and whether you are going to give up after this cycle or if you have a plan to improve your application and reapply.... this can be a backhanded way of saying, "you aren't going to make the grade & should start planning now..." It can also be a way of asking the applicant what the applicant thinks is the weakest part of the application and what could be improved. You could say, "I have an offer (or offers) of admission, but if I didn't, and I didn't get in this year, I would ....."

the other reason for this question is what you would do if medicine were not an option for you (I usually say, "if there was a law passed tomorrow that prohibited you from becoming a physician... what would do instead?" That makes it clear that this is asking a hypothetical that is separate from whether or not you have or will get an offer. Here the interviewer is asking what attracts you to medicine and if there are alternative careers that you would find similar to medicine.... consider the alternatives that an applicant might throw out (I've heard these or my collegues have):

academic biologist (teach college biology)
chef
day care provider
firefighter
stockbroker

and how that might lead to follow-up questions about why that career and medicine are attractive to the applicant.

Well there's a difference between bull****ting and talking about what you plan to do. If you're worried about not getting any acceptances, then I should hope that you have some kind of idea what you're going to do in the meantime. I feel like you probably don't need rock solid plans, but at least SOME idea of how you'll be spending your time.

I interpreted from the OP's post that he was just going to lie. My bad.

I was not referring to lying, but rather answering the question like a hypothetical ie. pretending that you don't have any acceptances and then what would you do? I wasn't sure if one should preface their answer with "though I do have an acceptance, if I didn't get in this year I would...."\

And thanks for the advice LizzyM!

I found out of my 1st acceptance the day before another interview where I was asked this exact question.

In my excitment I explained how I already had an acceptance and didn't need to worry about my backup plan anymore. Did not go over well.

I've been asked this in job interviews(non medical) in my previous career (I'm a non traditional pre med) the recruiters that help you before interviews always tell me to say something along the lines of "I would take time to review and critique myself, find any errors and work to correct them"

I can't speak for med school interviews because I haven't crossed that line yet, but I left a high paying and high competitive job in the IT field and they almost always asked what I would do if I didn't get the job in interviews

The important part is stressing determination, as well as proving that you are self correcting and able to learn from mistakes.

In all aspects if life this is an important skill to have that comes with time

"If I did not get into medical school this year, I would improve my application and apply again next year."

"If I could not go into medicine, I would pursue ______ career, because it would allow me to still _____ "

"If I did not get into medical school this year, I would improve my application and apply again next year."

I know a couple people have touched on this, but if you are fortunate enough to have an acceptance under your belt, what's the best way to answer this question? Still go with the hypothetical "if I didn't get in?" Or graciously acknowledge the acceptance?

I know a couple people have touched on this, but if you are fortunate enough to have an acceptance under your belt, what's the best way to answer this question? Still go with the hypothetical "if I didn't get in?" Or graciously acknowledge the acceptance?

"I have an offer (or offers) of admission, but if I didn't, and I didn't get in this year, I would ....."

You can redirect the interview by stating at the end that you have an offer (or offers) but that you took the time to be there at that school because you prefer it over the schools that have already made an offer.

I was asked this at all 4 of my interviews when I applied. I always took it as a hypothetical. I got an acceptance before 3 of the interviews. Usually it had already come up that I had been accepted at other schools (when they asked where have you interviewed or where have you applied).

I personally went with..."there is no way I am applying to medical school again. It is way too time consuming and expensive. If 21 schools tell me I shouldn't be a doctor then I am going to take their word for it and become an NP or PA."

But I agree with Lizzy...preface with "I have been lucky enough to be accepted somewhere else already, but if I hadn't been accepted this year I would have....blah blah blah"