What would you do in this situation?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

iqe2010

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I got a pleasant surprise today when a friend from out of state called me. I met this person at a church youth convention years ago and we still keep in contact with each other. He's in a delima and doesn't know what to do, and asked for my advice. I told him I'd have to sleep on it.

He's 22 and fresh out of school (I'm talking just graduated a few days ago). He's doing a gap year so he's currently applying to med school. His girlfriend of two years has just landed a great internship at the department of treasury. He has no problem following her and just applying to a school that's close to by so they can still be together, but for her that's not enough. She wants him to MARRY her before he starts medical school. She wants to do it "before their lives get too hectic."

I know for a fact that he loves this girl, in two years they've stayed completely true to one another. And their families love each other. It's just that marriage is kind of scary to him, which I find completely understandable. His girlfriend is right, internships can be difficult and time-consuming and we all know how demanding medical school is, if not by experience then from reading people's stories.

I have no idea what to tell him. On one hand I think it's important to see if their relationship can withstand both of their upcoming hectic schedules, so they should hold off on marriage. On the other hand, my friend is only going to get busier. After med school, there's residency which is extremely demanding. So it might be a good thing to get married sooner rather than later.

Blah! I don't know. I've never been in love before so I have no idea how he's feeling. Doctors have extremely high divorce rates, but I hope he can work it out if this is truly the girl for him.

What do you guys think? 2 years isn't a long enough time to want to marry someone, or it doesn't sound like a very long time to make such a big commitment.

Members don't see this ad.

The simple answer: If one person in the relationship is not ready to get married, then the couple should not get married at this time.

Members don't see this ad :)
What would *I* do in that situation? Simple: my best not to completely offend her when I laughed in her face at such an utterly ridiculous suggestion. But I tend to be a bit more callous than most, when it comes to relationships, I suppose.

Also, no one should be pushed or bullied into getting married (or given an ultimatum). It would just lead to resentment and anger down the road.

All the Nos in this SDN world won't sway him either way most likely, but dude is setting himself up for a potentially terrifying situation by getting married at such a young age to someone he's been dating for 2 years...

ORRRRRR it may turn out to be a perfect marriage. I would still tell him to not allow himself to be forced into a marriage especially so early.

The bastard in me thinks she wants to marry him pre-MD so that in divorce court she can get credit for helping him "achieve" his success and guarantee dat alimony.

It's win win for her.

Yep yep

That's what I thought

The simple answer: If one person in the relationship is not ready to get married, then the couple should not get married at this time.

This.

I understand that he has feelings for this girl and wants to be able to stay with her; however, getting married before he is ready is likely to cause problems with both his personal well-being and the well-being of the relationship. It doesn't matter that they're both about to become extremely busy -- that's not a reason to enter into marriage prematurely.

Getting married before you're ready, just because your partner is pushing it, is a recipe for divorce. The ONLY reason you should get married is if you know without a doubt that you want to spend the rest of your life with this person and only this person. If you get married for convenience, for legal purposes, or because you're being pressured, you will probably end up regretting it.