What would you do? Lower GPA/DAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

shhmarco

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

I'll cut to the chase:

GPA ~ 3.0 all around
DAT - 17AA/18TS/18PAT
URM
Great EC's with plenty of shadowing, leadership positions, sponsored athlete, and scholarships when I studied abroad in Barcelona.

I realize gaining admission will be an uphill battle for me. I knew it from the beginning. It didn't stop me then, it sure isn't going to stop me now. I know I am by no means "competitive," however, I am seeking advice on what would be the smartest move from this point.

Apply now which is still real early and gamble with my odds?

Retake the DAT (which I am total open to) in September and still apply this cycle? And if I do, would it be smarter to apply next year instead of this year?

Any advice anyone can offer would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers!

"It's hard to beat a person who never gives up" -Babe Ruth

Members don't see this ad.

Are you a junior or have you graduated already?

Members don't see this ad :)
I would recommend a post-bac program. It is really competitive to get into dental school. If you have the money, then you can apply for dental school and see how it goes. There have been rare cases where people have gotten in so you never know. Also if you do decide to apply this cycle, then retake the DAT.

May the odds be ever your favor! :xf::laugh:

I would actually recommend you retake the DATs. If you have good ECs and are a student athlete, I think you have a decent chance if you up your DAT scores.

I'm not sure a post-bac program is necessary unless you for sure get rejected by dental schools. As a backup, maybe start applying to post-bac programs in addition to applying to dental schools, but I would definitely retake the DATs.

This is only my two cents!

Reactions: 1 user
You definitely need to retake the DAT. I'd take post-bac classes to raise your GPA.

Maybe only apply to your state school(s) this cycle, just to see what happens. Go ahead and apply now, since September will be really late. Indicate that you will retake, but I would bank on having better luck next year.

Your ECs are unlikely to compensate for your numbers, which are probably too low to gain you admission anywhere this cycle. I agree with others have said -- re-take the DAT and unless there's a significant improvement, save yourself some money and apply only to your state schools, Howard, and Meharry. The latter two are majority African American, but they'll consider other URMs if you have a desire to work with underserved populations. If you re-take the DAT and score 22-23+ though, then it might be worth it to apply broadly and take a shot. In that case, your strong ECs would come into play and combined with the DAT, would likely get you several interviews. Either way, enroll in a post-bacc program and get that GPA up.

You definitely need to retake the DAT. I'd take post-bac classes to raise your GPA.

Maybe only apply to your state school(s) this cycle, just to see what happens. Go ahead and apply now, since September will be really late. Indicate that you will retake, but I would bank on having better luck next year.

I am California resident. I keep hearing apply to state schools. Most here are tough to get in as it is.

So would you say:
1) Apply this cycle as is since it is really early and give it a shot?

Then

2) Worst case scenario....I get rejected...I would retake the DAT and apply again next year? Sound like a good plan of action?

I would recommend a post-bac program. It is really competitive to get into dental school. If you have the money, then you can apply for dental school and see how it goes. There have been rare cases where people have gotten in so you never know. Also if you do decide to apply this cycle, then retake the DAT.

May the odds be ever your favor! :xf::laugh:

Noted. Thank you for the advice =)

Your ECs are unlikely to compensate for your numbers, which are probably too low to gain you admission anywhere this cycle. I agree with others have said -- re-take the DAT and unless there's a significant improvement, save yourself some money and apply only to your state schools, Howard, and Meharry. The latter two are majority African American, but they'll consider other URMs if you have a desire to work with underserved populations. If you re-take the DAT and score 22-23+ though, then it might be worth it to apply broadly and take a shot. In that case, your strong ECs would come into play and combined with the DAT, would likely get you several interviews. Either way, enroll in a post-bacc program and get that GPA up.

I am not too familiar with the different post-bacc programs out there...which ones would I want to look for? I am only familiar with the post-bacc programs for pre-health profession students in which I have taken all of the courses available in the program....

I know an URM student who applied last cycle with a 20AA, oGPA 3.2 sGPA 2.9 and just good ECs and got in a school that also offered him a scholarship that pays off 50% off his tuition... sooooo as long as you're URM, your chances are 10x higher than most of the other applicants

Reactions: 2 users
Is it just me or is URM completely unfair? Can someone please give me the reason why it's fair as I may just be ignorant. I've gone through my share of hardships in my life, but am not a URM. Why should URM have such a huge advantage by being able to click one checkmark on any higher educational application. Same deal with undergrad. Not hating. Enlighten me.

Is it just me or is URM completely unfair? Can someone please give me the reason why it's fair as I may just be ignorant. I've gone through my share of hardships in my life, but am not a URM. Why should URM have such a huge advantage by being able to click one checkmark on any higher educational application. Same deal with undergrad. Not hating. Enlighten me.

You say you're not hating, but it sure sounds like you are. It comes down to equality vs justice. Just because something is unequal, it doesn't mean it's unjust nor unfair. In many instances, URMs have hardships built into their lives on a structural/cultural level that are difficult to quantify. They're not gaining an advantage, it's a matter of leveling the playing field to promote a more progressive society. Of course it doesn't always work out on an individual level, but that doesn't change the philosophy behind why such policies exist. Should they be eliminated in favor of a system that is based 100% on merit? That's for the politicians and courts to decide.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I am not too familiar with the different post-bacc programs out there...which ones would I want to look for? I am only familiar with the post-bacc programs for pre-health profession students in which I have taken all of the courses available in the program....

There are career changer post-bacs and there are academic enhancer post-bacs. The third option is a special master's program (SMP). Since you've completed your pre-reqs, you'll be picking between an academic enhancer and an SMP. The general consensus around here seems to be that if your GPA is below around 3.0, then you should go with the academic enhancer and take as many upper-div science classes as you can. If you're above 3.0, then SMPs might be a good bet. SMPs tend to cost a lot more.

Check out the threads on the post-bacc board. There's a lot of great info on there.

You say you're not hating, but it sure sounds like you are. It comes down to equality vs justice. Just because something is unequal, it doesn't mean it's unjust nor unfair. In many instances, URMs have hardships built into their lives on a structural/cultural level that are difficult to quantify. They're not gaining an advantage, it's a matter of leveling the playing field to promote a more progressive society. Of course it doesn't always work out on an individual level, but that doesn't change the philosophy behind why such policies exist. Should they be eliminated in favor of a system that is based 100% on merit? That's for the politicians and courts to decide.

If you think I'm hating, then hate is born out of ignorance. Either way, I really am not hating. If one day I can really understand the true disadvantage that someone has by being URM, then I won't be a tad bit bitter about it. I have no regrets with anything with my life and appreciate the very little things in life and am a proponent of love lmaoo. However from my experience with URM, I have felt injustice. I worked hard in an american high school with 2320 SAT and 3.7gpa and was varsity athlete and part of the state orchestra. I had many things going for me except I was not a permanent resident at the time. I ended up at Boston U, while a black friend of mine who had 1800 SAT and not many extracurriculars went on to princeton. He laughed with me and said he checked the URM box. No hate to the guy I love him but I just don't find that was "leveling the playing field". He lived in my same town, and went to the same high school. I'll also add that YES I know it's not always fair and this is an individual case, but it's just a case I've seen first hand so it's affected me. Rant over. All love man.

I totally agree with FlossFloss, I know many of my friends who got into my school with NO HARDSHIPS in their lives and pretty low stats, but checked URM and got crazy scholarships! Same thing for dental and med schools, as long as you're URM, they expect much less for some reason! I would say giving scholarships for URM is totally fair, considering their backgrounds and family income (after detailed analysis of their income of course) however, giving them an advantage in admission, i think that is really really unfair to all the other applicants who worked so hard to get higher grades while they were living in hell, but still not considered URM...

Reactions: 5 users
OP seems to have lived a pretty good life in college if you ask me :shifty: even got to do what millions can only dream of studying abroad in barcelona, so after 4 years of good college education and those kinds of experiences, what other reason than for the advantage would he be clicking the URM box?:poke:

We all have stories we can tell. For example, I had an ex who was 100% Asian with wealthy parents, but she was able to check African because her dad was born in Madagascar and it ended up opening a lot of doors for her. But that doesn't change the reason why the methods are as they are. We're also a self-selected bunch -- most of us attended decent high schools and even if lower-class, were likely raised in families well above the poverty line. Just by virtue of proximity and association with you, the URM friends you guys refer to probably were not significantly worse-off. Even if they were, they probably were still in a much better position than a large chunk of the URM population. I'd argue that some of the kids I've seen in Compton with 3.2 GPAs have overcome and accomplished much more in life than somebody who grew up in West LA or Santa Monica and hit a 3.8.

Remember, it's not all about the numbers. There's also the matter of increasing diversity in schools and in the workplace. Even if it's not important to you, it's probably a good thing for society. Finally, there's the matter of the bias that's inherent in everyone. There's been a lot of research in social psych that backs this up -- in many settings, even in highly educated individuals who've been trained to recognize their own bias, it still exists and it tends to be pointed specifically against Hispanic and black males. It occurs just by seeing a box checked when reviewing paperwork and it exists in face-to-face/interview situations. It's usually passive and most individuals have no awareness of it, but it's present nonetheless. The craziest part is that the bias was evident even when the people in charge were Hispanic/black themselves.

In my opinion, living life as a white male offers far more of an advantage than any of the URM policies in place at any institution. There isn't a breakdown in the d-school numbers, but I'd wager that outside of Meharry/Howard, URM status provides only a minor boost. It's not the most precise way to do it, but you can look at this indirectly by browsing the ADEA guide and comparing the percentages of applicants vs enrollees -- black and Hispanic are both within 0.6%. I've also seen studies examining affirmative action that look at UG numbers and while there's definitely a gap, it's not as large as people seem to think.

Talk about OP all you want, but he's just one guy who's not really relevant in the discussion you're trying to foster. That said, if affirmative action were eliminated, being Asian, I would benefit and, truth be told, it wouldn't bother me all that much. Still, there needs to be a distinction made in how its elimination would benefit us selfishly as individuals and recognizing why it exists and the good it does.

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users
I'm a URM. Born in Brasil and moved to the United States later on. I've been incredibly lucky and have had a really solid life. I'm more than sure that there are MANY white males or white females that have had harder classes than I. I do not fill discriminated against in the slightest, anywhere I go. Just because your skin is a certain color, doesn't mean you're automatically discriminated against. I'd go so far to say that money matters more than race in most cases.

Reactions: 2 users
I'm a URM. Born in Brasil and moved to the United States later on. I've been incredibly lucky and have had a really solid life. I'm more than sure that there are MANY white males or white females that have had harder classes than I. I do not fill discriminated against in the slightest, anywhere I go. Just because your skin is a certain color, doesn't mean you're automatically discriminated against. I'd go so far to say that money matters more than race in most cases.

This. Good luck in the process man. They should get rid of URM and base it on household income. A good majority of URM should inevitably be included in that pool. That way, not too many affluent "URM's" don't go taking the spot of actually discriminated URMs who need the assistance.

Of course there are white males and females who've had it harder than you. That's not the point and is a gross oversimplification. We are far from representative of the general population. The fact that you were able and willing to immigrate suggests an intrinsic advantage, if not in class, then in motivation, over your average peer. Again, self-selection. You even say you've led a solid life, which probably has mitigated differences in how you've been treated. If you believe the research, then the existence of bias against you is a fact. It's also a fact that, like it or not, due to URM/affirmative action policies, many organizations will look favorably upon you due solely to the diversity you'd be able to provide them. Whatever bias there is may not affect you much because you or your family have already scaled the mountain and have resources available to you that others may not. The challenge isn't dealing with bias, it's dealing with bias while being disadvantaged while trying to get over the hump.

You state money matters. Of course it matters. That goes without saying. But unless you believe that URMs, especially underpriviledged URMS, are innately less capable, then I'm sure you're aware that money and race do not exist independently of each other, are strongly correlated, and exist due to external factors difficult to control. If we all had equal access to money, then the entire argument would be moot because affirmative action would not exist. Whether we like it or not, socioeconomic status is inherited and passed from generation to generation. People will rise, people will fall, but it remains a defining characteristic.

If it is about money and you want to take it to an extreme, then what's the best way to eliminate the differences in race and class? Offer a leg up to disadvantaged URMs, which will result in greater earning potential, which will eventually result in everybody becoming equal, which will the end the need for affirmative action. Most economists and sociologists agree that increasing social/class mobility make for a stronger healthier society and everybody wins. Now, if anybody wants to argue the legality of the system, then that's an entirely different can of worms.

Last edited:
This. Good luck in the process man. They should get rid of URM and base it on household income. A good majority of URM should inevitably be included in that pool. That way, not too many affluent "URM's" don't go taking the spot of actually discriminated URMs who need the assistance.

I get what you're saying and I mostly agree with you. I'm also aware of studies showing that URM/affirmative action policies actually reinforce differences even within racial classes. A lot of those spots end up going to minorities that are already middle/upper class. The problem is that there's no legal standing allowing organizations to look at income alone in making admissions and/or hiring decisions. So they end up looking at race because it's all they're allowed to do. It's flawed, it's imperfect, but it's something. Beyond that, I was trying to discuss the ideas behind why such programs are in place, which is what you originally stated you didn't understand.

Of course there are white males and females who've had it harder than you. That's not the point and is a gross oversimplification. We are far from representative of the general population. The fact that you were able and willing to immigrate suggests an innate advantage, if not in class, then in motivation, over your average peer. Again, self-selection. You even say you've led a solid life, which probably has mitigated differences in how you've been treated. If you believe the research, then the existence of bias against you is a fact. It's also a fact that, like it or not, due to URM/affirmative action policies, many organizations will look favorably upon you due solely to the diversity you'd be able to provide them. Whatever bias there is may not affect you much because you or your family have already scaled the mountain and have resources available to you that others may not. The challenge isn't dealing with bias, it's dealing with bias while being disadvantaged while trying to get over the hump.

You state money matters. Of course it matters. That goes without saying. But unless you believe that URMs, especially underpriviledged URMS, are innately less capable, then I'm sure you're aware that money and race do not exist independently of each other, are strongly correlated, and exist due to external factors difficult to control. If we all had equal access to money, then the entire argument would be moot because affirmative action would not exist. Whether we like it or not, socioeconomic status is inherited and passed from generation to generation. People will rise, people will fall, but it remains a defining characteristic.

If it is about money and you want to take it to an extreme, then what's the best way to eliminate the differences in race and class? Offer a leg up to disadvantaged URMs, which will result in greater earning potential, which will eventually result in everybody becoming equal, which will the end the need for affirmative action. Most economists and sociologists agree that increasing social/class mobility make for a stronger healthier society and everybody wins. Now, if anybody wants to argue the legality of the system, then that's an entirely different can of worms.

I respect your point of view and it's certainly good to take a step back and look at the big picture. I think it's respectable that brazilianrider, whether he had the innate advantage of being able to come here, does not check his URM box because he knows that it does not apply to him. So I agree with your big picture, but I'm still wondering if you're defending OP here, who looks to have had a "solid" undergraduate life who for whatever reason has got a lower gpa and looks to offset it by checking the URM box. I'm not bashing his gpa because mine is pretty bad too, but it seems to me it's included with his other merits. BUT since I see that you still can look at the big picture and the benefits despite obvious fact that these cases exist, I respect you for that.

I get what you're saying and I mostly agree with you. I'm also aware of studies showing that URM/affirmative action policies actually reinforce differences even within racial classes. A lot of those spots end up going to minorities that are already middle/upper class. The problem is that there's no legal standing allowing organizations to look at income alone in making admissions and/or hiring decisions. So they end up looking at race because it's all they're allowed to do. It's flawed, it's imperfect, but it's something. Beyond that, I was trying to discuss the ideas behind why such programs are in place, which is what you originally stated you didn't understand.

Thanks =). you gave clear arguments of both sides and I think I understand the issue so much more now. But it's actually made me more upset than before regarding OP =(..I received mediocre grades as well which I'm completely at fault for as well, but I don't have some magical box I can check to help me out. I worked hard by myself to do my best in the DATs. And looks to me OP has spectacular extracurriculars too! Shouldn't play the URM card imho.

Thanks =). you gave clear arguments of both sides and I think I understand the issue so much more now. But it's actually made me more upset than before regarding OP =(..I received mediocre grades as well which I'm completely at fault for as well, but I don't have some magical box I can check to help me out. I worked hard by myself to do my best in the DATs. And looks to me OP has spectacular extracurriculars too! Shouldn't play the URM card imho.

Dunno what OP's background is, but if he's not disadvantaged, I'm with you man. It's not fair, but it's not OP's fault. It's not as if he's wearing it as a badge and shouting it to the world. He merely listed it as a part of his app and then asked for some advice (which we're not offering at all, haha). Let's be honest, if we needed the help, who among us wouldn't check that box? I'd do it in a heartbeat and never look back!

Dunno what OP's background is, but if he's not disadvantaged, I'm with you man. It's not fair, but it's not OP's fault. It's not as if he's wearing it as a badge and shouting it to the world. He merely listed it as a part of his app and then asked for some advice (which we're not offering at all, haha). Let's be honest, if we needed the help, who among us wouldn't check that box? I'd do it in a heartbeat and never look back!

touche lol maybe im just jealous deep inside x). All love to OP and good luck in process! OP, I think you should retake your DAT if possible to bump it up a little bit and then apply broadly. You have a great chance.

I know an URM student who applied last cycle with a 20AA, oGPA 3.2 sGPA 2.9 and just good ECs and got in a school that also offered him a scholarship that pays off 50% off his tuition... sooooo as long as you're URM, your chances are 10x higher than most of the other applicants

That's awesome to hear! I know I will get myself in somewhere. Thanks for the positive vibes!

There are career changer post-bacs and there are academic enhancer post-bacs. The third option is a special master's program (SMP). Since you've completed your pre-reqs, you'll be picking between an academic enhancer and an SMP. The general consensus around here seems to be that if your GPA is below around 3.0, then you should go with the academic enhancer and take as many upper-div science classes as you can. If you're above 3.0, then SMPs might be a good bet. SMPs tend to cost a lot more.

Check out the threads on the post-bacc board. There's a lot of great info on there.

Noted...thank you soo much for all of the info and advice...much appreciated!

Hello all,

I'll cut to the chase:

GPA ~ 3.0 all around
DAT - 17AA/18TS/18PAT
URM
Great EC's with plenty of shadowing, leadership positions, sponsored athlete, and scholarships when I studied abroad in Barcelona.

I realize gaining admission will be an uphill battle for me. I knew it from the beginning. It didn't stop me then, it sure isn't going to stop me now. I know I am by no means "competitive," however, I am seeking advice on what would be the smartest move from this point.

Retake the DAT (which I am total open to) in September and still apply this cycle? And if I do, would it be smarter to apply next year instead of this year?

Cheers!

I think you are safe to apply this year, depending on where you're looking.

I had a very low DAT ( 17 AA/16 TS/19 PAT), but GPA of 3.6

With those stats, I was offered interviews at 4 schools, and was accepted at 2.

It's okay to have one low spot, if you can make up for it in another area, which it seems you should be able to do with shadowing/extracurricular/being a URM/etc.

It's okay to have one low spot, if you can make up for it in another area, which it seems you should be able to do with shadowing/extracurricular/being a URM/etc.

Not really comparable. The problem is that OP has low spots on both DAT and GPA. Your GPA was above average for all matriculants last year. If he had a 3.6, he'd be in great shape.

Not really comparable. The problem is that OP has low spots on both DAT and GPA. Your GPA was above average for all matriculants last year. If he had a 3.6, he'd be in great shape.
but he can check the URM box so he's still in great shape. cough cough :clap::soexcited::banana:

Awesome! Thank you for the input. Always good to have some positive affirmations....I will be applying this cycle and am hoping for the best! Cheers!

Good luck this cycle. Looking forward to your progress! Keep us updated

To be honest, even a retake and a stellar score of 22-ish, and you still have a GPA problem.

I would fix the GPA (post-bacc with all upper division biology courses), when you have a solid 1-2 years of fulltime post-bacc, you can start thinking about the DAT-retake

And regarding applying, you can apply now, you never know... but prepare yourself for the worst.

I wouldn't apply. Take an additional year or two to increase your GPA and re-take the DAT.

Hello all,

I'll cut to the chase:

GPA ~ 3.0 all around
DAT - 17AA/18TS/18PAT
URM

Cheers!

Apply, your scores are basically in range with the national accepted average. 3.0 GPA and 18dat

Gamble 500-800 dollars and you might win an acceptance, if not then you got 1yr to beef up your stats

Posted using SDN Mobile

I am in a similar scenario, 3.1sci and 3.15gpa, but I did not take the dat!!!

And I still applied.

I'm getting in this round no matter what.

I hope
;-)

Posted using SDN Mobile

I am in a similar scenario, 3.1sci and 3.15gpa, but I did not take the dat!!!

And I still applied.

I'm getting in this round no matter what.

I hope
;-)

Posted using SDN Mobile
Thats the kind of talk that gets people into Dental School :)
God bless.

Apply, your scores are basically in range with the national accepted average. 3.0 GPA and 18dat

Gamble 500-800 dollars and you might win an acceptance, if not then you got 1yr to beef up your stats

Posted using SDN Mobile
Maybe in 2000... 2013 ADEA guide listed the following average for accepted students: AA/TS/PA - 19.7/19.6/19.9, oGPA/sGPA - 3.5/3.5

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/2013-ranking-of-ds-based-on-gpa-dat-other.1064713/

OP- I'd echo the advice given to you by several above: Post-bacc undergrad classes + DAT retake. If you've got the funds, you could gamble and apply to some schools this year, but I don't think it's a high likelihood bet.

Maybe in 2000... 2013 ADEA guide listed the following average for accepted students: AA/TS/PA - 19.7/19.6/19.9, oGPA/sGPA - 3.5/3.5

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/2013-ranking-of-ds-based-on-gpa-dat-other.1064713/

OP- I'd echo the advice given to you by several above: Post-bacc undergrad classes + DAT retake. If you've got the funds, you could gamble and apply to some schools this year, but I don't think it's a high likelihood bet.

He's URM, he's pretty average for those guys.

what school was that? I'm also a urm.

I know this is an old thread but I would like to comment in regards to the URM concerns. Being Hispanic in this country is not easy and even less easy is memorizing the classes in a language that is not yours. It’s this a problem from an english speaker individual? no I dont think so. Yes there are exeptions and yes there are people that take advantage of this classifications but most of us need this consideration to finally “make it” Life is not easy in our countries and not many luxuries or commodities were provided to us so we can study. Most dont have a school or medical center near the house and when I say “Luxury” I refer to the even the basic and normal commodity that guves this country that is having “central A/C” and at least a public library to study.

Sorry if there is typos, grammar issues or anything else but I hope you can understand.