What would you do?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sweeti8286

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,
Sorry for posting this here but I thought that since the majority of the users on this board are dental students and would have had the experience....

anyway..here's my situation. I interviewed at CASE and they already sent me a letter of acceptance 4 days later. However, I have U.Mich's interview at the end of the month. I personally prefer to attend U. Mich since it's closer to my hometown and a lot cheaper financially. The deposit due for CASE is due within 30 days of the date of the letter. So,the time between the date on the letter and the time I hear from U. Mich on the decision- it would be slightly over 30 days. Should I send in the deposit to ensure a seat at CASE and if I get into U. Mich- just lose the deposit? Or should I wait til the last possible second and see? What are the chances of the CASE of giving me a slight extensioin...say a week?

Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

Wait as long as you can, but make sure you get your deposit into Case on time. You don't want to lose your dream after getting accepted to one school and then losing a spot at both schools. The money is worth it in the long run. The chances of Case giving you an extension are probably zero, but you could call and ask if you want.

I'd try giving case a call, but I don't think they'll be very accomodating unless you have a really good reason. And your reason isn't a good reason. This situation happens to people all the time; and they know it.

When you interview at UMichigan you should tell them your situation. Tell them that UMichigan is your top choice. And ask them if they could call you as soon as possible if you get an acceptance - beats snail mail which may take a few days. And yes, leave sending your deposit to case till the very last minute - UPS it.

Sadly, this situation is part of the process. I lost a $1500 deposit because of timing and it still stings. OUCH!! :mad: But whatever, you gotta do what you gotta do. You can't lose a spot.

Members don't see this ad :)
You also have to be realistic in sizing up your situation. Your GPA is great, but your DAT scores are in the average range for accepted students. So, unless you bring some unique qualifications to the table, CASE may have folks on their waiting list who have stats similar to yours and therefore may not be open to negotiating the deposit date. Likewise, if you applied fairly early to UMICH and did not make the Dec 1 cut, you might be taking a significant risk if you put all of your eggs into that basket. I would STRONGLY advise you to firm up that offer from CASE and then hope for the best with UMICH.

Thanks for all your replies. I was leaning toward that CASE would not extend the deposit deadline since I know that there are so many people who wants in or on the waiting list. I feel pretty confident about U. Mich....I know a few (at least three) who's on the admission committee....well, more like I guess..one main but influencial connection in the admission process. In addition to a summer dental program I went there last summer....so the people there still remember me. I know it's not a garantee acceptance- but it does give me a little bit of advantage.

But I will take your advices to wait as long as I can and just send in that deposit overnight--at least that will garantee me a seat.

Sweeti8286 said:
Thanks for all your replies. I was leaning toward that CASE would not extend the deposit deadline since I know that there are so many people who wants in or on the waiting list. I feel pretty confident about U. Mich....I know a few (at least three) who's on the admission committee....well, more like I guess..one main but influencial connection in the admission process. In addition to a summer dental program I went there last summer....so the people there still remember me. I know it's not a garantee acceptance- but it does give me a little bit of advantage.

But I will take your advices to wait as long as I can and just send in that deposit overnight--at least that will garantee me a seat.

Good call Sweeti :thumbup: I would have done the same! I knew it! I should had taken that summer dental program. Too late now! I knew there was something fishy about that program :D

people getting in because of connections makes me :mad:
but i know it happens all the time and nothing anyone can do :rolleyes:

uhh oh! I hope Sweeti and Biogirl won't be in the same class at Case! cat fight, cat fight! :laugh:

haha- naw- I'm sure biogirl is a very nice and sweet gal. We go to the same university. :oops:P I'm sure we've ran into each other many times and we just don't know it.

awww, you are a sweetie! ;)

yeah, i'm not :mad: at you, just at the system where connections can get you in. I'm sure we'd get along fine :)

Biogirl361 said:
yeah, i'm not :mad: at you, just at the system where connections can get you in. I'm sure we'd get along fine :)

Ya both would love Case's environment. Umich undergrad has surely produced many inteligent and studious students for Case dental school :) :) . Few of them are in my class. My great respect's for all of them. :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: