1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

What would you do?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by free_radical, May 8, 2008.

1. free_radical

7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Downstate=

35,000/year, 10 minute walk from my house

(slim chance I'll prove in-state residency, and pay only ~20,000/year.)

UMDNJ-NJMS=

13,000/year, 1 hour commute, minimum, from my house.

(slim chance I'll be awarded a full scholarship.)

----Schools are academically similar, I think.
    ----For certain reasons, I can't move closer.

What sayest thou?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. ChubbyChaser

ChubbyChaser Yummmy
    2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    geeze...I would go to the cheaper one but 2 hours everyday roundtrip is bound to take its toll....cant you get an apt closer to school?

4. Bibbed

Bibbed Just call it.
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Yeah, lease an apartment with the $22,000 you're saving each year...

5. HanginInThere

5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    You'd be in-state after the first year anyway though, right? So the price difference over four years is 35K+(20K*3) vs. 13K*4 = 95K vs. 52K = 43K. Still significant, but better than 35*4 - 13*4 = 22*4 = 88K.

How would you be doing that NJMS commute - drive? bus? train? Don't forget to figure either the gas money and tolls or the bus/train fare into your decision.

If you really can't move, that long commute sounds like a killer. If it were me, I'd be very tempted to go with Downstate.

6. flip26

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Is this at your parents' house? Assuming yes (and at no rent), what matters is total cost to attend...and to go to NJ, you would need to move closer...and pay rent...a lot of hassle...and not likely to save much money...unless you would simply be paying rent either way...

If you don't have to pay rent in your current location, I would stick with Downstate...and I think it is the "better" school to boot...

7. EpiPEN

EpiPEN Aegis of Immortality
    2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    if your house refers to living with your parents, then i would say go for the further one and rent an apartment near there. You gotta leave the nest some time :rolleyes:, especially if there won't be that big of a difference in overall price.

8. free_radical

7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    thank you very much.

the fact that i may get full scholarship to umdnj complicates it more. because while the commute may not be worth it for cheap tuition, what if i were to get in free?

9. ar2388

ar2388 rads resident
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    \

why is that you cannot rent an apartment closer? if i were in your situation, i would do downstate unless i got a full ride and if i got a full ride, i would DEFINITELY rent an apartment or even pon campus housing? how come that isnt an option?

10. HanginInThere

5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I saw another post where you mention that your wife is a law student - I'm guessing that's why you're tied to your current location. Are there more considerations (kids in school, parents you're living with, etc) that add to it? Would it be possible to move somewhere in between so you'd both have an almost-reasonable commute? Would she be willing/able to transfer to a different law school? (I've got a friend who did her first two years of law school in NYC, then her third in Boston for family reasons.) After she graduates, in your MS3 and MS4 years, would she be willing/able to move so you could be closer to NJMS, or will she be looking to practice in Manhattan? What options will you have for locations in your clinical years at NJMS - will you be stuck doing this 1-hour commute after long shifts at the hospital?

You're asking for advice based on very little information. We can bring up questions and offer opinions, but none of us know the details of your situation, much less your priorities and where you're willing to compromise.

Saving close to 100 thousand dollars is a huge deal, but I think the commute you're talking about would be a huge deal too. (And if your wife will be going to a big firm in a couple years to make the big bucks, the money might be a little more managable for you than it would be for most people...)

11. EpiPEN

EpiPEN Aegis of Immortality
    2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    gas burnt is money gone. But money paid on morgage is real estate that might come back up one day.

12. nonesuchgirl

if you get a full you go there

13. Rikkye

7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    rent an apartment & go to UMDNJ