robotchicken

10+ Year Member
Nov 27, 2008
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
I will be graduating with a B.S. in Biology this semester and I have taken all the pre-medical pre-reqs. My problem is my very low undergrad GPA of 2.5 and MCAT score of 22 O. I am thinking of three options at this point to help me get into medical school.
1) Retake all of my pre requisites to boost my GPA and retake MCAT.
2) Retake all of my pre requisites at another institution (perhaps a community college). But ONLY send my retaken pre-req grades and not my grades from undergrad degree (to schools that do not require a bachelors degree). And retake MCAT
3) Apply for a masters program (perhaps in in Public Health) and retake MCAT.

Please note I am open to applying to D.O. programs as well as M.D. (and M.D. programs at the Caribbean schools as well).

I appreciate your input thanks!

cbrons

10+ Year Member
Jul 29, 2007
Jungle
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
I will be graduating with a B.S. in Biology this semester and I have taken all the pre-medical pre-reqs. My problem is my very low undergrad GPA of 2.5 and MCAT score of 22 O. I am thinking of three options at this point to help me get into medical school.
2) Retake all of my pre requisites at another institution (perhaps a community college). But ONLY send my retaken pre-req grades and not my grades from undergrad degree (to schools that do not require a bachelors degree). And retake MCAT

Please note I am open to applying to D.O. programs as well as M.D. (and M.D. programs at the Caribbean schools as well).

Definitely retake MCAT, I would say retake some of the pre-req courses too but I'd also go the masters route as well. If you are okay with a DO program, I would retake 2 of the pre-req classes that I did the worst in at a 4 year university while also completing a masters.

airplanes

10+ Year Member
Jun 30, 2008
Miramar
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician

I don't think you can get away with hiding transcripts by not sending them in. All schools need is your SSN to look these kinds of things up and believe me, they will. I don't want to sound mean or condescending and I don't know if there were any extenuating circumstances that led to your low grades but you definitely need to get back on track if you want to become a doctor. Retaking courses or joining a masters program isn't going to help if you approach classes the same way. If you do find the motivation you need to get your ish together then DO schools will take the new grade if you retake a course. MD schools will average the two grades. Retake the MCAT but put in the work to get a good score, you don't want to take it again, nor can you really afford to score low a second time. Carribbean MD schools should be somewhat of a last resort, some are decent at preparing their students for the boards and getting US residencies but beware. You have a big mountain to climb but if you're persistent, theres no reason why you can't put yourself in position to be accepted somewhere in the future. Good Luck.

About the Ads

batman1983

10+ Year Member
Mar 4, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
I think if you study hard enough for the MCAT, you can get 25-30 on MCAT, which along with good ECs, should be enough for DO schools. As for your option 2, is that considered illegal by AAMC? However, I do wonder how they can even verify it.

sleepy12

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 25, 2008
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
A master in public health will NOT help make up for a low science gpa. You have to send all transcripts. Your best bet would be to do a postbacc and retake mcat.

searun

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 31, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
The D.O. route might work because I believe they will allow you to substitute the better grade in a course that you take again. But forget the MD route. You would be wasting your time. Of course, you need to figure out whether you even have the science aptitude to become a doctor. Given your record, that remains an open question.

About the Ads
This thread is more than 12 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.