What would you do?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jtk3

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone....I just got my secondary application for CU Health Sciences Center School of Medicine. I don't have the best grades or MCAT score, as a matter of fact, I have less than average. But, I found out that my family had donated enough money to the school that there is a foundation named after us. I don't know if I should try to mention that in my secondary application or not. My last name is not common at all. I even know of a couple MD's who used this foundation to help fund their medical school costs. I know I probably will get people flaming me for this post and that's ok. But, would you mention the fact of what your family did for the school or just keep it to yourself? Do you think the medical school would even care about this fact? Or by mentioning the foundation just a bad thing to do? I'm open to any helpful comments....Thanks for reading.

Members don't see this ad.

Keep it to yourself. You don't want to seem like you deserve a spot b/c your family donates money to the school. It could be taken the wrong way....ie. if you accept me, my family will keep funding you, if you reject me, we'll cut off funding. and then you get into messy ethical issues.
You want to show them reasons why you deserve a spot and why you'll make an excellent physician. important part is that you received a secondary. use it to your benefit.

Members don't see this ad :)
I wish my family could buy my way into a school. :idea:

More than a couple of people are probably going to read your post and hint, or just flat-out say, that your mentioning it would equate to you believing that you are owed a spot in the school. It's possible that some adcoms will see it this way too, but don't be too quick to decide based on this fact alone.

I think the way in which somebody mentions something like that is just as important as if they mention it at all.

At the end of the day, your family donated money to the school without (I assume) the expectation that one of their children would apply to, and have a better chance at, the school. In this way, I think that the donation shows a general benevolence towards education, or some other noble cause. If you were involved in any way with the donations, I'm inclined to think that the whole matter should reflect only positively on you, for wanting to give.

Bottom line: I'd imagine that having a foundation named after your family has played some type of role in your life. If you feel that you've had any substantial involvement in that process, or if you feel that it has influenced your values or character, then I feel that you should mention it.

i would mention it!! dude... as much as im sure others may be jealous, but if you can buy your way into med school.. well rather it has been done for you at least a little bit.. why the hell not? might as well give it a try. worst thing that happens is that they put no weight on it and thats it

Hi everyone....I just got my secondary application for CU Health Sciences Center School of Medicine. I don't have the best grades or MCAT score, as a matter of fact, I have less than average. But, I found out that my family had donated enough money to the school that there is a foundation named after us. I don't know if I should try to mention that in my secondary application or not. My last name is not common at all. I even know of a couple MD's who used this foundation to help fund their medical school costs. I know I probably will get people flaming me for this post and that's ok. But, would you mention the fact of what your family did for the school or just keep it to yourself? Do you think the medical school would even care about this fact? Or by mentioning the foundation just a bad thing to do? I'm open to any helpful comments....Thanks for reading.

Interesting dilemma. I think the admissions committee would care to some extent, although I don't think a financial contribution qualifies as "ties to the medical school". Thus by mentioning it you could risk immodesty. I'd try hinting at it without being too explicit. For instance "my [grandfather's] dream was to help underprivileged people pay for their education, and after amassing his fortune he was able to do that."

If only your family sponsored a science building or hospital wing...

Interesting dilemma. I think the admissions committee would care to some extent, although I don't think a financial contribution qualifies as "ties to the medical school". Thus by mentioning it you could risk immodesty. I'd try hinting at it without being too explicit. For instance "my [grandfather's] dream was to help underprivileged people pay for their education, and after amassing his fortune he was able to do that."

If only your family sponsored a science building or hospital wing...

I really like that way of how you would mention it, but as I keep doing my 2 essays for my secondary, the more I figure I am just keeping it out. But I like your example as it is tactful. I really would like admissions to see me for who I am and why I deserve a seat for Fall 2009.

As far as a hospital wing, Lutheran Medical Center, my great grandfather sponsored that also. The hospital is in Wheatridge, Colorado if you happen to live in Denver or visit here, check it out.

Last edited: