What would you do?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

indiandoc

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Please don't be harsh...I have some great choices and am trying to figure out what to do.

I live on the east coast, and received a full scholarship to Vanderbilt. My other choices are UCSF, Stanford, Penn and Duke. I would prefer to stay on the east coast, but to do you think Penn and Duke are worth $140,000. What do you think? Thanks in advance?

Members don't see this ad.

Congrats...it's nice to have such great choices. Vanderbilt is a great school. I know an ortho-guy doing his residency at Harvard, and he turned out just fine. Vandy has one of the highest matching rates, which makes it a very very attractive school.

I didn't apply to Duke because I got turned of by 3 things: the secondary app, the squeezing in of two years of basic sciences into one year, and North Carolina (I'm sure NC is all right, I just wanted to stay in the Northeast).

I'm a bit biased, but Penn is an awesome place. You get to start clinical rotations early, but not as early as Duke (which I think is a good thing). My feeling is that Penn has the best curriculum of the top 5 schools, and, of course, great facilities. Location-wise, Philly has got to be better than your other two options.

If I were lucky enough to be in your position, I would choose between Vandy (the money and the great match rate) and Penn (the best school in the world! :D ). Dude...go to Penn ;) .
Good luck!

Definitely go to Vanderbilt! Not only is it a great school...but you have a full scholarship. Sure, Penn and Duke are great, but in my opinion Vanderbilt has an awesome hospital, a fantastic new library, and great facilities. I think that your education at Vandy will be just as good, if not better than at any other school, AND you don't have to pay.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you want to stay on the east coast and think you'd be happier at Duke or Penn, then go to Duke or Penn.
The $ is only one part of the whole. The scholarship to Vandy isn't worth it if you'd be unhappy in Tenn for 4 years. Because no matter where you choose to go, once you're an MD you will be able to pay back your student loans. And if you should choose a missionary or pro-bono medical career, there are loan forgiveness programs.

Good luck with your decision. All of your options are good ones.

Free Free Free
Take the free ride

go to UCSF and then get in-state tuition after a year.

Thanks everyone for your response. I thought about the UCSF option, but my S.O. is going to be in Baltimore. So Penn or Duke are close. Even though UCSF is cheaper, it's going to require significant airfaire costs. Again, thanks for the responses. I know i'm lucky, and becomming a doctor is what's important. Everything else will fall into place.

it's your decision and you've got to go with your gut on this one.

at first glance, I'd say Vandy, just because of the free ride. Debt is not a good thing.

But since you've got personal reasons for staying near Baltimore, I'd suggest Penn. You will likely score points with your "s.o." on this one, which is a key consideration.

You can't go wrong with any of those choices, though.

best of luck.

p.s. don't worry about the compressed preclinical education at Duke and Penn. Preclinical stuff is mostly b.s. anyway.

another frickin one of these threads?:rolleyes:

Originally posted by lattimer13
another frickin one of these threads?:rolleyes:

yeah, I was jealous too!;) J/K:laugh: :laugh:

Originally posted by indiandoc
Thanks everyone for your response. I thought about the UCSF option, but my S.O. is going to be in Baltimore. So Penn or Duke are close. Even though UCSF is cheaper, it's going to require significant airfaire costs. Again, thanks for the responses. I know i'm lucky, and becomming a doctor is what's important. Everything else will fall into place.

indiandoc, tried to pm u but i guess u didn't set it up
I'm in the same situation (vandy full ride vs. $$ @ others) + I've been thinking about it alot recently- r u coming to 2nd look this weekend?

Hi there indiandoc,

I was struggling with a similar question (full ride to a top 15 school vs. paying my way through my top choice. Luckily my state school is also my first choice, so I also realize that my bag is a bit easier to take.) While reading this thread, I?ve cemented my decision to turn down the scholarship. Here are my reasons:

1. If I choose not to take the scholarship, I know that price of my decision. If I turn down my 1st choice, I will always ask myself ?what if I went where I really wanted to go, would I be happier??

2. Staying close to my S.O. is priceless to me.

3. I am so freakin? lucky to get into any medical school at all, why would I let the fruits of my good fortune bother me. I got what I wanted and something on the side. (i.e. Cheesecake is good, but I never let it distract me from Ice cream. Mmmm?.Ice Cream)

4. When I was a poor undergrad stressing about going in debt to go to college (20K at that time), a prof said something that stuck with me. He pointed to the parking lot and said ?you are talking about the price of cheap car, aren?t you worth more then that?? O.K., so now we are talking in terms of a luxury sedan. Does the question really change all that much?

5. I want it.
=) Try arguing with that one!

Anyway, I hope sharing my musings helps. I am sure that there really are no bad decisions for us at this point. I turned down another full ride to an unranked school a few months ago, and while writing the letter was painful, I did not regret the decision. After all was said and done, I had followed my heart. That (assume complete ethical integrity) can never be wrong.

Best of luck in your journey.

You could try asking your top choice if they will give you a partial scholarship to make your decision easier. Happens sometimes if the want you enough and you ask nicely.

Personally, I would probably choose the full ride. How often do you expect to see your SO if you are at Penn (Duke is a long drive, I've done that one)? Compare that to how often you would see each other if you were in CA or TN. It may not be that much more, in which case the savings would probably be worth it. If it is, than I can see the debt being worth it.

If you are pretty sure that you want to stay on the East Coast, you could make some other applicants really happy by letting spots go at schools you don't plan to accept.

unless you're married, it's a BIG, BIG, BIG....let me reiterate, BIG mistake to go to a certain school for a significant other....just my thoughts.....

We are married....so she is pretty SIGNIFICANT!!! Thanks everyone for all your advice. I was so hoping that Hopkins was going to work, but it was not meant to be -- received the rejection three weeks after submitting the secondary....

indiandoc, u're married? cool- how old are u and when did u get married?

Penn.
It is 1 1/2 hours from Baltimore (at the most), and an easy commute compared to the other schools.
It has 1 1/2 preclinical years, better than 2 (most every school) and better than 1 (Duke).
It is the best city to be in out of the schools you mentioned on the east cost.

And while it makes wife time harder, you will one day be glad you didn't get into Hopkins!

Having made a car trip to DC from Philly recently, I can attest that it shouldn't be difficult at all to go back to Baltimore on weekends if you don't mind longish drives. I-95 is pretty straightforward. :)

Assuming you're committed to your marriage and there's no possibility of your wife relocating, I'd go with Penn as well. Is there no chance of your getting at least some partial financial aid from the school?