What would you do???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ashasnarf

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Would you guys give up a spot at a low ranked medical school this year, if you had a chance to attend a top 20 med school. But, to get the top 20 you have to delay medical school for at least one possibly two years??? Is the chance to go to a top 20 worth the gamble of giving up a sure thing at a low ranked school.

Members don't see this ad.

This sounds like a highly improbable scenario. How could a person know that s/he'd have the chance to go to a top 20 school in one or two years? I'd say go with the best school one gets into in a given year.

Exactly. How would you know you'd be in a top 20 med school in the future. What if you re-apply and don't get in anywhere. Could happen.

"Impossible, no, probable"

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree with SMW. :)

I don't think it's worth it. You also need to think about what those rankings are based off of and whether they are important to you and your career. If you like the school and see yourself being happy there for 4 years, I say go for it!

Nikki's post reminds me of a question I have -- does anyone know any books or internet resources that discuss student satisfaction with individual med schools (by having actual student accounts, etc)? Thanks for any ideas... :)

don't get sucked into the "top 20" syndrome - you will be running the rat race your entire life based on what is better for your cv.

ooooo, love that one Jamie!!

1. What if the next year at the Top 20 medical school they asked you if you had ever applied before (it is a question on some applications). If you answered truthfully and said yes, they might ask what happened or did you get in. If you answer truthfully and say you got in but turned it down that would look very badly indeed.

"You say you want to be a physician with an intense passion, but you turned down a spot at being a physician that thousands of folks would die to have?" This might be enough for the Top 20 schools to reject you right there.

2. Why did you waste your money applying to non Top 20 schools if you were not going to attend them even if you did not get in to your top choices?

Hey elle,

I don't know of any books but check out this link from AMSA. There are surveys from medical school students.

<a href="http://www.amsa.org/resource/cardev/medresults.cfm" target="_blank">http://www.amsa.org/resource/cardev/medresults.cfm</a>

bebe!

a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush....
don't pass up a sure thing on a pipe dream.
If you get into med school now, then go now. You have no way of being sure that you will get into a top 20 school in two years.

Ultimately, what it comes down to is being a good physician. Going to a top 20 med school does not guarantee you that. I've been working in a hospital for 6 years, and have seen graduates from Cornell and Columbia who fade in comparison to doctors from state schools. The only thing that's impressive about them are credentials, not skills or knowledge.