What would you do?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

UMpredent

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Would you choose the cheaper state school (even if you had gone there for undergrad), or would you choose the more expensive private school that seemed to be a better fit for YOU personally?

Members don't see this ad.

If I were you, I would take a year off and think about it. You don't want to rush into anything. For me personally, I would go where it is cheaper.

Would you choose the cheaper state school (even if you had gone there for undergrad), or would you choose the more expensive private school that seemed to be a better fit for YOU personally?
Cheaper school.

I'll let you in on the dark side.
Dental schools are pretty much the same. Every school will have its sales pitches.
Depending where you want to rank, you will not have a significant amount of free time the first few years
You will make friends at both institutions, they will help you go to hell and back.

Take the cheaper road and take some more "personal" time when you have less debt and interest to pay back.

Members don't see this ad :)
Why is this same question appearing on a daily basis now?

GO TO THE CHEAPER SCHOOL. Dental school is a four years jail term that will soon be over. Save your money for your self and your future and by not giving it to your dental school.

Why is this same question appearing on a daily basis now?

GO TO THE CHEAPER SCHOOL. Dental school is a four years jail term that will soon be over. Save your money for your self and your future and by not giving it to your dental school.

- « But Mom... I want a sheet of paper with PRESTIGE » :rolleyes:

Haha, it seems like people still really don't get how big of a factor money is

Well....who's payin? you? your momma? the government..military??/

If it was coming out of my pocket I'd do state school..significantly cheaper!! If I were in the AF Scholarship program I'd go where I wanted and let them pay it back for me :)

What fits "YOU personally" ??? This really is how much do you care about your money? Do you like to light it on fire? Do you like to flush it down the toilet? Do you spend it on hookers, booze, and drugs or other stupid **** that means nothing in the long run (like a more expensive ""name"" brand degree)? If you like to do these things, well shoot, you might as well go to the more expensive school, because money is no object for you. Except at the end of the day, I got to spend my money on booze, hookers, and drugs, and you spent yours going to the more expensive school. Personal Preference. And I'm kidding about the drugs part. :laugh:

Cheaper school.. period...

Cheaper state school. EASY answer. I know that before dental school, $80,000, $100,000, or $150,000 seems like imaginary money. (Because you will get loans and pay it off later with a "dentist's salary".) But get back to reality. Imagine if you were on Deal or No Deal and you could press a button to make $150,000. If you didn't press it, you would not get anything. Going to a state school is like winning $150,000 (in money you are not paying in tuition.)

And no matter WHAT they tell you, you will not enjoy any school more for that kind of money. Sometimes you just get a better sales pitch, but don't buy it. You will be just as happy... or sad, at either school. It's what you make of it.

What fits "YOU personally" ??? This really is how much do you care about your money? Do you like to light it on fire? Do you like to flush it down the toilet? Do you spend it on hookers, booze, and drugs or other stupid **** that means nothing in the long run (like a more expensive ""name"" brand degree)? If you like to do these things, well shoot, you might as well go to the more expensive school, because money is no object for you. Except at the end of the day, I got to spend my money on booze, hookers, and drugs, and you spent yours going to the more expensive school. Personal Preference. And I'm kidding about the drugs part. :laugh:

Another way to waste money! Better get the brand name.