what would you have done?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

swoop

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know that getting into medical school is hard to get into and it doesn't stop there, but what would you guys have done if you hadn't gotten into medical school. Saying that you would have applied again doesn't count. Maybe a better question to ask would be what is your second career choice? I know there isn't anything else you would rathe be doing, but what if you had to?

Members don't see this ad.

PhD baby. Guess that's why I'm applying PSTP. Although, I can't decide between structural bio and micro. Decisions....decisions!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by DrMom
I was teaching college classes...probably would have continued. I might have started a PhD (was teaching with a masters).

Dr. Mom,
Did you finish your masters before leaving for med school. I'm in that exact same boat...

Thanks!

I'd have found a job, gotten a bit of money saved, and married my honey a little earlier. :p

Gone onto a brilliant career in engineering (either mechanical, electrical, civil, or biomedical).

Damn. :)

Culinary school. I would have loved to have become a pastry chef. Honestly! I guess it's always a post-retirement option...

I've always kind of jokingly said I would buy a riding lawn mower and cut grass for a living. Maybe have a big truck with a trailer, a weed eater, a couple of push mowers for places where the riding mower wouldn't fit, and a couple of high school kids to help out. Actually, with 5 tests coming up before the Christmas break, that plan looks very attractive.

I was a professional skier. I guess I would go back to a salaried position coaching at the national or international level.

Although, you do have to grow up sometime. Starting med school at 26! Cheers to all my Non-Trads!

I would have either gone to grad school in neuropsychology-- I debated for a long time between that or med school-- or I would have become a vet (I love animals!).

Originally posted by swoop
I know that getting into medical school is hard to get into and it doesn't stop there, but what would you guys have done if you hadn't gotten into medical school. Saying that you would have applied again doesn't count. Maybe a better question to ask would be what is your second career choice? I know there isn't anything else you would rathe be doing, but what if you had to?

your question sounds like the secondary question for the U of MN. are you applying to the U?

I would stay in the Air Force for a little while longer trying to figure out what I want to do when I grow up, work on a Masters and probably end up teaching either high school biology or math.

I didn't get in on my first attempt, so this is what I did:

I applied for research positions and tech jobs (scrub, monitor, etc.), and the best offer I got with my BS in bio was 16K/yr, no benefits, working in a lab. The jobs qualification sheet actually required a masters in bio, so I decided against getting a masters b/c of the low pay. I ended up taking a job as a secretary in a large company to make ends meet. I saw a need that my department had, so I figured out a way to meet the need. I realized that other departments (and later other companies) had the same need, so I started a consulting company. The company did very well, and I was able to get out of the debt I assumed during undergrad. I retook the MCAT, applied again, and was accepted.

Hi,
I thought it is possible to get an idea if you'll get accepted to med school before senior year (if you're grades are below certain point, it is straightforward). If my grades go down, i will seriously consider a criminal career ha.

I would work for the automotive industry somehow. Be a head of a certain division and control where the vehicle models are going towards, and keep the vision of the model lineup clear.

Either that or I'd work for Car and Driver as an editor.

If I didn't get in? First, I would think about getting a PhD in the science, but now that I am in medical school and have seen first hand of what that experience is like, boy, I am glad I didn't have to make that choice. Second, maybe go into web design, a job that fits my other talents. Other than that, I thought about performing music professionally, but that is not exactly the kind of life I want to live. And last, the absolute sure thing for me was dadie's company. :D