Dismiss Notice
Last chance to give your feedback! Fill out the 2019 SDN Member Survey to let us know what's important to you (and win prizes!)

What would you like in an iPhone app?

Discussion in 'Tech: Medical Apps, iOS, Android, medical devices' started by Soleil9, Nov 30, 2008.

1. Soleil9

Soleil9 Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Hello!! I have been hired as a consultant for an iphone app developer to help develop medical apps. I'm an iphone junkie myself, and am excited to have new applications to help me in my daily work. I know what I'd like, but I'd like some input from the rest of the medical world. These guys are really good, and write high quality code with nice intelligent user interface. I'm excited to see what comes out of this collaboration. So:

What new app would you like to see in the app store?

What would you improve in existing apps?

How much are you willing to pay?

Anything else?

Thanks!!!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. tscottturner

tscottturner Member
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    For med students, something like Maxwell's, but with the addition of lab algorithms like Ferri's Best Test. Included could also be lab interpretations like Bakerman's.

3. FruitFly

Moderator Emeritus 5+ Year Member

voice recording for dictation, with pausing, playback, password protection (HIPAA compliance)... voice to text...

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. divemeddoc

Resident [Any Field]
    1. Ability to create and edit Notes on the iPhone, and then sync notes to the desktop (Mac and PC). Ability to create and edit notes on the desktop, and sync them back to the iPhone. Would pay up to $45.00 - $60, USD.

2. ePocrates essentials / similar medical suite with ACLS/PALS tables, steroid conversion tables, opioid conversion tables (i.e. converting Dilaudid PCA to Methadone therapy, or IV morphine to oxycodone oral therapy) for the iPhone. Depending upon how well featured, and how similar to ePocrates essentials would pay up to $100

3. Voice memo recording. Would pay $25 - $50, depending upon feature set. If full feature set (i.e. able to be synced to dictation software or transferred to transcription service), would pay up to $100.

5. FruitFly

On this subject, some of the medical calculators I've seen are just outlandish with the dosage ratios between opioids, especially methadone. Of coruse, they should be based on literature. Equianalgesic dosing ratios vary from clinic to clinic, so it would be nice if a program could account for this and give the clinician the option to input institution-specific ratios used (as well as default values given...)

6. DOctorJay

10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    check out dial2do, reqall, and jott for simple transcription - not medical grade by any means but helpful nonetheless and if you spell the word out they'll get it right.

you should be able to find free voice memo recording for the iphone.

7. FruitFly

How do these programs work? Do they get transmitted to a third party, then converted, and back to your phone? (that wouldn't abide by HIPAA) Or does it all happen just over the phone in the program itself?

Also, do these programs use text messaging by default to produce transcripts? I'm asking since I don't want to pay $5/month for unlimited text messages. :(

#7 FruitFly, Dec 8, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2008
  8. DOctorJay

10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    no it is not hipaa compliant so do not use those apps for confidential info. you can set them up to send you an email or a text message of whatever you say. your speech gets sent to someone who transcribes it (probably with the aid of some software) and you also get a copy of the voice message itself as an attachment. there is also a limit of like 30 seconds of how much you can dictate so it wouldn't work for patient notes.

9. ahata

Attending Physician
    I have held off from buying the iPhone because the most important function on my handheld is the Memo App. I use a Palm Centro with the Palm OS. Here is where I keep track of my inpatients, outpatients, scheduled patients, etc.

I am rather surprised to find out that so many physicians such as myself have expressed an interest in this application since the original iPhone came out, and see that nothing has been done to answer this request.

10. DOctorJay

10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    have you tried evernote on the iphone? blows any "memo" application out of the water. I ported all my palm os memos to evernote and can now access them from ANY internet connected device (iphone, blackberry, wm phone, treo, pc, mac). I have it hooked up to dial2do as well and can dictate notes into evernote.

11. polarbebe

2+ Year Member

Other Health Professions Student
    An app to be able to read the attending's handwriting. :p

12. JobsFan

JobsFan ASA Member
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    i want all my patient's lab results on my iphone, with scroll down the screen for more results, and swipe across to get to next patient.

would somehow need to sync with the hospital path results database

13. DrJosephKim

DrJosephKim Advisor
    Physician Verified Expert 10+ Year Member

I hope we see more electronic health record (EHR) platforms for the iPhone. There are a few in the works (Nextgen, eClinicalWorks, etc.) but more are definitely needed.

There are also many opportunities in the worlds of radiology and dermatology.