What would you recommend? (poll)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

What would you recommend?

• career changer post-bacc

Votes: 3 100.0%
  • DIY at Undergrad

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

saturdazed

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I posted my situation in the pre-med forums but figured I add a poll here since it may be more appropriate/helpful. I apologize if this violates any kind of rule.

About me: Current junior at state school studying finance with 3.82 gpa. Internship for 6 months with F500. Hate it and really have no interest in a full time job in finance/accounting after graduation. Was originally a Bio major before starting college but changed because I was scared of spending my 20's in school/residency. After my internship experience, I am over this fear. I have not done any research/volunteering/shadowing.

My plan: This coming summer I plan to volunteer in a hospital for at least 50 hours, hopefully around 100. I will also try to shadow a physician or two. I will be graduating in Fall 2018. One semester early. I would use the semester I would have been in school to get a paid job in the medical field, ideally scribe. If I can't do this I would continue to volunteer. During this time I would apply for career-changer programs like Bryn Mawr or Columbia.

Mostly looking for critiques on my plan and whether or not I should just do the pre-reqs at my current undergrad and delay graduation. The only benefit I see to this, in my naive mind, is that it is cheaper. In all honesty, I think I would be able to put together a much stronger application doing a post-bacc program because it would give me more time to volunteer and hopefully research. However, I have heard at programs like Columbia and others that you can do a lot more harm than good for your chances (drop out, not get faculty support/recommendation).

Apologies if this is too wordy and appreciate any additional advice.

Members don't see this ad.

Do the post-bacc. Spend the rest of your time in undergrad working on your application through volunteering/shadowing/etc. Your GPA is pretty good and I'm sure if you're passionate you can succeed at Columbia or Bryn Mawr