Whatever you do... don't lie

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by Amy B, Oct 15, 2002.

1. Amy B

Amy B I miss my son so much
    Moderator Emeritus Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Some of you may not realize but the schools you apply to know things about your application.

1. They know what other schools you have applied to.

2. They know what schools accept you. They get a list from AMCAS that has their current applicants and where they have acceptances from.

A number of posters last year said they were going to lie and say they had interviews in the same city even though they hadn't applied to the school. Bad idea.

Also, last year a dean of admissions told me that during an interview an applicant mentioned she was accepted elsewhere but really wanted to go to their school, so they needed to accept her quickly before she moved to this other school's new city. The dean knew she was lying because of the AMCAS list. Needless to say she was rejected.

Don't ever lie in your application, 2ndary, interview or anytime.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. pwrpfgrl

pwrpfgrl Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

I thought they weren't supposed to know any of that stuff until after may 15th? in any case, i think that Amy B is right, lying is NEVER a good thing with these applications - it's just not worth the risk.

like we learned in kindergarten, honesty is the best policy!!

:)

4. medapp03

medapp03 Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

I agree, you should never lie. However I don't think the schools know where else you have applied unless you had to put than on a secondary application. I remember reading somewhere on the aamc website that AMCAS does not send a list of the other schools to which you are applying to each school. They would have to get that information directly from you, unless schools share that information with each other (which I doubt).

5. whyadoctor?

whyadoctor? Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

it was my understanding that they didn't know which schools you applied to. they shouldn't have that information if it's true that they do. does anyone know for sure if they know which schools you've applied to?

6. Gaberman

Gaberman Member
    7+ Year Member

Page 79 of the AMCAS Instruction Book for the 2003 Entering Class:

"Medical schools do not receive a listing of the other schools to which you have applied."

good for me...applied to lots.

7. Gumshoe

Gumshoe LARGE Member
    10+ Year Member

The funniest thing about this, guys, is that Amy B is ....

lying ...

:p

Gumshoe

"What's really going to fry your noodle is when you think that if I hadn't said anything, would you have still broken that vase?"

Gnothi seauton = know thyself

Cheers

8. Amy B

Resident [Any Field]

Oh HA HA:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

This was all discussed last year by posters. I had one of my schools ask me about a school I applied to, but I had not told them I had applied there, so how did they know???????? A number of posters had this very same thing happen to them. So where did the schools get this information? It remains a mystery, I guess, if indeed AMCAS doesn't tell the schools.

However, they will know about your acceptances and this is FACT straight from the dean of admissions.

I, Amy B stand by my post and don't lie, cause I'm so cooool:cool: :cool:

9. CaNEM

CaNEM Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Schools do know where you applied and where you were accepted, but NOT UNTIL April 15th. This is when AMCAS sends the list to the schools. Applicants then have until May 15th to withdraw from all schools except for one - the one they intend to go to. If you hold more than one acceptance after May 15th... bad things, man.

Unfortunately, it is true that some schools have their buddies over at the AAMC tell them where else certain applicants applied, BEFORE April 15th. This, however, is against the rules. So it is NOT true that all schools know where you applied/were accepted before April 15th, although you still have to be careful. Watch out for those that cheat!

10. Amy B

Resident [Any Field]
    Here are some links from last year.
    http://www.studentdoctor.net/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=6512&highlight=AMCAS

http://www.studentdoctor.net/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=10169&highlight=AMCAS

I was trying to find the one with the adcoms knowing where you applied, when my memory came back to me and I started to remember things I blocked out of my mind due to the AMCAS NIGHTMARE.

I started to remember how the schools knew where we applied.

Due to the problems AMCAS was giving us, we were sending in our paper applications directly to the schools so they saw where we applied. Some elected not to send that page.

So that is what I was remembering. Those of you who didn't apply last year have no idea how lucky you are that AMCAS got their butts in line. ASk SMW how horrible it was. We both lived through it .:mad:

11. keptium

keptium Member
    7+ Year Member

okay this is a little off the subject, but if schools don't know where you are applying and the interviewer asks...should you tell them?

I only ask becuase I interviewed at one of my "safe" schools and after looking over my file he asked me where else I applied, and I didn't want to tell him. Do you think it hurts one's chances if they know you think of them as a "safe" school?

12. Neuronix

Neuronix Total nerd
    Administrator Physician PhD Faculty SDN Advisor 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I don't know how it is for MD programs, but information I've heard suggests and leads me to believe that MD/PhD coordinators know each other very well and are talking to one another about their candidates.

In which case, I'm sure a typical conversation goes:

*blah* *blah* *blah* jot is an incredible applicant *blah**blah**blah*

But I think Amy B is probably right.

13. Amy B

Resident [Any Field]
    here is a link to that question from last year
    http://www.studentdoctor.net/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=5446&highlight=AMCAS

14. Street Philosopher

10+ Year Member

for those who are depending on AMCAS to keep quiet about your list of schools, just remember that students weren't supposed to get acceptance letters before Oct 1 or 15th. look how strictly that was followed.

15. jot

jot

hah neuronix
    :laugh:

16. CaNEM

CaNEM Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Haha, Jot's the posterboy for MSTPs. Screw the malboro man or half-naked Coors light chicks. Highway billboards of tomorrow: "Choose MSTP! Jot did!" with a huge pic of him, folding his arms and grinning. :)