Whats important to get into Peds?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

alwaysaangel

Full Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm trying to work out the kinds of extracurriculars I do in my free time during medical school, and since I'm fairly certain that pediatrics (or maybe family practice) is for me, I'm trying to increase my competitiveness. I realize its not considered a 'competitive' specialty, but I am going to be limited by location for my residency (for family reasons) and only have 2-3 programs that I will REALLY want.

So I'm wondering what is the best way to ensure I am a very competitive applicant and can get one of my top matches.

1. Should I do research? I don't particularly like it but will make an effort to find something I would enjoy if it would be beneficial for me.

2. I am extremely passionate about free clinics so I know I will do a lot of work with that during my free time when I'm in school. Also I have some programs picked out to spend for summers working in free clinics/family planning clinics. Will this help me much?

3. Any other extracurriculars you would suggest?
 
(IMHO "free time" and "medical school" should not be used in the same message😉 )

I would look into doing a peds rotation at 2 of the programs you are interested in. This will give you a good look at the program, and them a look at you. May also help you get that all important interview. Keep doing the free clinics thing... shows compassion and devotion to community.

Good luck.
 
First of all, I'd like to clarify for a second about the "competitiveness" of pediatrics. When people state that peds is not a competitive specialty, they often mean that you WILL match. Pretty much no question. In a specialty like ortho, the primary question is 1) Will I match?; followed by 2) Where will I match? In peds, the only legitimate question is "Where will I match?" That said, to match at the top peds programs, it is fairly competitive. Sure, no where near as competitive as matching at the top ortho programs... but still. Not everyone gets an interview at all the peds programs they apply to, especially not the top programs.

That said, I have no idea whether or not these 2 programs you mentioned are competitive peds programs or not... but as a rule of thumb, great board scores, great clinical grades, and great LOR will help you just as much as they would with any specialty. They will help you get an interview above most other things -- for example, I know a good friend of mine that did not get some of the same interviews that I did, even though both of us were very highly involved in extracurriculars and leadership, and I'm guessing it's bc of a difference in board scores, grades, etc. Also, I have another good friend who *did* get one coveted interview at a place that I did *not*... and while I know that I have stronger extracurriculars/leadership experiences than she does, she did much better on her boards and on her grades than I did. Ok, so #1, great stats will help you land the tough interviews. As the poster alluded to above, another way to land an interview is to do an away rotation at that institution. This will likely happen during your 4th year of med school, as most schools allow you to do a few away rotations. Generally, students that do an "away" at a particular program will be granted an interview at that program. Not *always* the case -- I have another friend who did an away (in internal medicine) at his top choice, and they did not grant him an interview. Now, this is bullsh**, but what can you do. Getting an interview at a program gets your all important foot into the door; without it, you can't rank them, and those hopes are over -- and the biggest things that will give you an edge on other applicants are 1) great stats, and 2) away rotations.

That said, I also think extracurriculars are important. I did zero research in medical school (though I did do some in undergrad) and I pretty much got all the interviews I wanted (save one or two). I was, however, very involved in my medical school community -- volunteerism, leadership -- and in international health, which is "my thing". My advice would be that there is no single "best path" to follow -- I encourage you to 1) do well in school, and then 2) follow your passions, be involved, and be a leader. However that is best defined by YOU.

Best of luck! I 😍 peds!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
First of all, I'd like to clarify for a second about the "competitiveness" of pediatrics. When people state that peds is not a competitive specialty, they often mean that you WILL match. Pretty much no question. In a specialty like ortho, the primary question is 1) Will I match?; followed by 2) Where will I match? In peds, the only legitimate question is "Where will I match?" That said, to match at the top peds programs, it is fairly competitive. Sure, no where near as competitive as matching at the top ortho programs... but still. Not everyone gets an interview at all the peds programs they apply to, especially not the top programs.

Well put. FWIW, the same is true of family medicine programs.
 
I just wanted to comment on doing away rotations. I don't think they are always a good thing. If you look really good on paper you may want to think twice about doing an away rotation because all it can really do is hurt you. On the other hand if you are doing an away rotation to see if you like the program I think that is a great idea. If you are mediocre on paper and think getting an interview is questionable then by all means do an away rotation. As far as doing research to increase you chances, I have mixed feelings on this one as I feel people pad their resumes with research even though they hate doing it. I'm not sure if any PDs puruse this forum (i'd be curious to hear your feelings) but my feeling is that it is better to be honest about who you are and what you want to do. Stick with your community advocacy stuff, you are interested in it and it sounds like a passion of yours. When you are asked about your CV your interest will shine through. They want passionate people, no matter if your passion is research, clinical, community advocacy, etc

Z
 
First of all, I'd like to clarify for a second about the "competitiveness" of pediatrics. When people state that peds is not a competitive specialty, they often mean that you WILL match. Pretty much no question. In a specialty like ortho, the primary question is 1) Will I match?; followed by 2) Where will I match? In peds, the only legitimate question is "Where will I match?" That said, to match at the top peds programs, it is fairly competitive. Sure, no where near as competitive as matching at the top ortho programs... but still. Not everyone gets an interview at all the peds programs they apply to, especially not the top programs.

That said, I have no idea whether or not these 2 programs you mentioned are competitive peds programs or not... but as a rule of thumb, great board scores, great clinical grades, and great LOR will help you just as much as they would with any specialty. They will help you get an interview above most other things -- for example, I know a good friend of mine that did not get some of the same interviews that I did, even though both of us were very highly involved in extracurriculars and leadership, and I'm guessing it's bc of a difference in board scores, grades, etc. Also, I have another good friend who *did* get one coveted interview at a place that I did *not*... and while I know that I have stronger extracurriculars/leadership experiences than she does, she did much better on her boards and on her grades than I did. Ok, so #1, great stats will help you land the tough interviews. As the poster alluded to above, another way to land an interview is to do an away rotation at that institution. This will likely happen during your 4th year of med school, as most schools allow you to do a few away rotations. Generally, students that do an "away" at a particular program will be granted an interview at that program. Not *always* the case -- I have another friend who did an away (in internal medicine) at his top choice, and they did not grant him an interview. Now, this is bullsh**, but what can you do. Getting an interview at a program gets your all important foot into the door; without it, you can't rank them, and those hopes are over -- and the biggest things that will give you an edge on other applicants are 1) great stats, and 2) away rotations.

That said, I also think extracurriculars are important. I did zero research in medical school (though I did do some in undergrad) and I pretty much got all the interviews I wanted (save one or two). I was, however, very involved in my medical school community -- volunteerism, leadership -- and in international health, which is "my thing". My advice would be that there is no single "best path" to follow -- I encourage you to 1) do well in school, and then 2) follow your passions, be involved, and be a leader. However that is best defined by YOU.

Best of luck! I 😍 peds!

it sounds like you're hating on your friend...don't hate, congratulate
 
I'm not hating at all. My friend has better stats than me -- just bc I state it doesn't mean I hate her for it. Please no drama.