What's missing?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cafetim222

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently a Sophmore at a liberal arts college. My GPA is about 3.75 on practice MCATs I have gotten scores of about 8 on physical sciences, 7 on biological, and 6 on verbal sections. I am a member of some service organizations. I have done chemistry research over the summer and through the school year. I will be doing research at a med school this summer. I am not sure whether I want to major in Biology, Biochemistry, or Economics. What do you all think I need to be doing? I also feel that I am not the best interviewer. Please help me!!!!

Members don't see this ad.

I would think an economics degree combined with a high overall and science GPA would be very appealing to med schools. Do you have any idea how many biology majors apply to med school? This would be way to help you stand out in the crowd.

For MCAT verbal, this is probably the hardest score to bring up (IMHO). One thing I would recommend is to read, read, and read. Anything you can, it doesn't have to be science related, in fact it probably shouldn't. I got a 12 verbal score the first time I took the MCAT with no preparation for that part of the test, except a practice test. I spent all my time studying sciences (9's). The only thing I can attribute my high score in verbal to is the fact that I have always read a great deal, newspaper every day, magazines, books (fiction and nonfiction). I know its hard to read anything other than textbooks when taking classes, but try not to become an intellectual vegetable over your school breaks. Take advantage of the time and try to read things other than science or medicine related topics.

To improve your interview skills, particularly for applying to med school, talk to anyone who will listen about why you want to be a doctor. Yeah, your friends and family will get sick of hearing about it but you will be learning to articulate your motivation for pursuing this career path. Remember, that's what adcoms want to hear, that you've thought about why you would make a great doctor. When the interview comes you will be naturally prepared to answer their questions in this area. That's not necessarily all you need to do to prepare but it's a start. Good luck to you! I hope this helps.

I was able to get a practice interview with my GP (family doc, whatever they're called in the US) which was really useful - they asked all sorts of difficult questions that hadn't occurred to me and it was v. useful. So you could try that.
wink.gif

Members don't see this ad :)
As a current med student and MCAT instructor at kaplan I could not agree more with Late Bloomer. I, too have always read a lot, and, in addition, while studying for my MCATs I started reading magazines like scientific american, atlantic monthly, and newspapers like the NY times every day. I ended up with a 15, and it had everything to do with just being great at reading comp, which you will have to be really good at in med school to handle the reding load...
Other than getting your mcats up a bit, I think you're on the right track. I also agree that you should major in econ, if you like it. Remeber, though, you have 2 years in which you can study anything you like- take advantage of them!! you'll have the rest of your life for medicine, right now, spend some time taking classes or joining groups you may never have the chance to again.
smile.gif

Thanks alot guys, you're alot of help. I have to admit this is the 1st time I've tried this and I am deeply impressed at the helpfulness of people who don't even know me. I am proud of you guys. I don't wanna sound corny but I really appreciate what you guys are doing. I mean no one told you to do this. So thanks alot. Keep the comments coming, I appreciate whatever you have to say, and if I can help with anything I would like to be able to.
smile.gif
Thanks ya'll!!!!!