Whats more important for a Derm Residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

IzzyMD09

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Systems is coming up second year, and some of our classes are taught by these BALAGAN (crazy in hebrew) professors with tests that are just out of left field...

now they CAN be honored should one read handouts and powerpoints like a religion...but is it more important to honor classes where maybe 75% of the stuff is going to be take home USMLE style stuff or ....

is it more important to study USMLE style for that specific system...

as usual any advice is most appreciated and welcome

you guys are great btw!!!!

:D :D :D :D IzzyMD

Members don't see this ad.

Best: Honor your courses and get a great USMLE score!

Good: Get a great USMLE score

OK: Honor the courses

Bad: Get a poor USMLE score and fail the courses

That's the spectrum! All in all, I think the USMLE is probably worth the most. After that, it's your classes. But it comes in a distant 2nd.

hm
cdql said:
Best: Honor your courses and get a great USMLE score!

Good: Get a great USMLE score

OK: Honor the courses

Bad: Get a poor USMLE score and fail the courses

That's the spectrum! All in all, I think the USMLE is probably worth the most. After that, it's your classes. But it comes in a distant 2nd.

Members don't see this ad :)
It's certainly a plus if you have done that.

But I think board scores and your grades in 3rd/4th year carry more weight

(in our school, those grades are actually weighted more heavily and have a larger influence on overall GPA!)

How hard is it to get a match in a derm residency? I am just applying to medical school and I really want to be a dermatologist. I have just been reading/hearing from students that it is virtually impossible to get a derm match unless you're pretty much "Super-Student." What exactly do you recommend to a student who is just starting out in order to highly increase my chances of becoming a dermatologist. The other field that interests me as much is Orthodontists (I know it's in dentistry, but it also interests me). I also hear that ortho is extermely difficult to get into... I wonder if one is relatively a little easier to get into than the other. Anyway, please comment on derm if you can. Thank you.

Oh also, generally speaking, what is the average starting salary for derm