What's the advantage?

Started by shocker682
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

shocker682

Junior Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I was just wondering how much of an advantage (if any) one would have if one posessed a DVM and a Phd, versus someone with a Bsc, Msc, and Phd? Does the DVM make much of a difference in the research setting?

thanks,
Dan
 
It all depends on the type of research you are interested in doing. A DVM and PhD will certainly hold more of an advantage over a BS or MS when it comes to attaining grants and running a laboratory. Both degrees will serve an equal purpose in an academic research setting as both are respected equally. On the other hand, you can always train for a DVM/PhD at the same time. The additional time spent attaining the PhD is primarily to provide you with the analytical and experimental tools necessary to fulfill a research career in the future. I already have an MS with research experience in both an academic and pharmaceutical setting. In my opinion, I have the skills necessary to follow through with a research career once I attain either an MD or DVM. If you are looking at long-term research careers and have the desire to be the PI, then I suggest you attain one of the more advanced degrees (DVM or PhD).

Herp