what's the average step 1?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

medstudent123

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know the average step 1 score for seniors who matched in ortho?

Members don't see this ad.

Numbers that usually get tossed around are 220-230 to get interviews. No one knows the matching Step I average.....

bigfrank said:
Numbers that usually get tossed around are 220-230 to get interviews. No one knows the matching Step I average.....

Actually this info is released by the NRMP each year. Last year, average Match for Ortho was 233. Average non-match was 223.

The numbers may increase each year, since scores just keep getting higher. A 230 isn't what it used to be...

Members don't see this ad :)
Can you cite this information?

I'll look, but so should you. It is definitely published somewhere, because I remember ENT average match was 237 in 2004, and I was pissed that they beat us. But to say that no one knows is silly. The data are known. People match, and the NRMP knows our scores. It's just a matter of finding the article I read it in.

Read this in the meantime:

http://www.sma.org/smj2004/12/00007611-200412000-00012.pdf

OSU03 said:
I'll look, but so should you. It is definitely published somewhere, because I remember ENT average match was 237 in 2004, and I was pissed that they beat us. But to say that no one knows is silly. The data are known. People match, and the NRMP knows our scores. It's just a matter of finding the article I read it in.

Read this in the meantime:

http://www.sma.org/smj2004/12/00007611-200412000-00012.pdf

ENT uses the SF match which publishes average step 1 scores, the NRMP does not release step 1 averages for the specialties. To say anyone but the NRMP knows is silly, it's just a matter of knowing wtf you are talking about.

OSU03 said:
I'll look, but so should you. It is definitely published somewhere, because I remember ENT average match was 237 in 2004...
P.S. It's not published by the NRMP. (I didn't have to look because I know it wasn't published.)

BTW, ENT does an entirely different match. ;)

hey - what's this free ipod thing?