Medical What's the best route for pre-med as a non-trad with ADHD and questionable credits?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Goro

Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello there, (sorry in advance for the lengthy post!)

I am a 23 year old female , and I am seriously considering (at least attempting to) pursue Medicine (optimally MD).

Just so you get an idea of my background, in High School I barely studied, skipped a lot of class, and managed to still receive a diploma as I have a very good memory.
After High School I took a gap year (2015/16) overseas where I accumulated 27 credits (3.5 GPA) in religious studies from a program which is NCCRS accredited.

Then, once I returned from abroad I decided to go to a joint accelerated BSN/RN program. I chose this program on a whim, because of the joint aspect- the first year of the program were all the general ed and the pre-reqs for Nursing, which were done simultaneously to make it slightly accelerated.

For the general ed credits, The program had their own small college courses where I completed 37 credits with a 3.21 GPA. The Nursing the pre-nursing, were done in Georgian Court University in a separate cohort. There I took:
Statistics (C+), A and P I (B+) and II (B), Chem 1 for health sciences (c-), English I (A) and II (B+), Intro to Psych (D), Economics (A) and Intro to Nursing (c-)
Totalling in 30 credits with a 2.59 GPA

While I was in the program, I had an extremely difficult time focusing and bombed the whole second semester, and was diagnosed with ADHD. This wasn't much of a surprise as i had been tested multiple times as a kid, but the results were always borderline. I always had trouble focusing but it was mainly attributed to being lazy or playful, as I compensated with my memory. At this point though, I had actually put in effort to focus and still wasn't able to do so.

So, I went home for the summer (2017) because I was held back and needed to retake Chem and intro to Nursing in order to progress in the program.
Thus I got a summer intern job in a non for profit social service agency, which was largely focused around health related needs, elderly, immigrants and low income families. I thoroughly enjoyed my summer there and accepted a job there as the Office Administrator (while having a plethora of other responsibilities) instead of returning to my BSN RN program. I was very exposed to the Medical world and found myself getting more and more passionate about the medical world and helping people.

In addition, I attempted to finish my bachelors as a BS, but found a MOST schools didn't recognize the Joint part of the Nursing program, or didn't accept ones I had taken overseas as a valid accreditation (was either or with a lot of places.)
*I needed to test my ADHD medication so I took 2 online courses with Coopersmith Career Consulting, earning 6 credits for Intro to Psych and Human Growth and development.(both As with 4.0 gpa)*

During my employment I also acted as a volunteer in my own time, visiting elderly, delivering food to shut ins and hospitals, and taking people to medical appointments (sometimes accompanying them to speak to the doctor.) I also had various other volunteer jobs with other organizations in my spare time.

I have worked now for about 3 years, and I am more ready than ever to jump back in to school. I hope to be enrolled for Spring 2021 semester.
Ideally, I would love to aim for NYU Grossman otherwise any US mid to upper tier schools in NY area. I am willing to do whatever it takes to get there.

Am i being unrealistic (you can be honest)?
1. Even if I am, what would you recommend I do to try to get as close to my goal as I can?
2. Being that I was Diagnosed with ADHD so late in the game, if I prove a strong upward trend now, will that help me at all (NYU)?

What do I do about my pre-existing credits (aside from the Georgian Court ones)-
3. If my religious study from abroad (more legit than the Gen ed) or Gen ed credits seem to be invalid in many Institutions, does that mean that they will not affect my overall GPA? ( should I not even bother trying to use them)
4. OR Should I pursue a new major (BIo or wtvr) and use my pre-existing credits (as likely only either/or may work) as electives?
5. OR Should I attempt to use all my sketchy credits (as they are not sciences) to complete my undergrad, and then pursue a post-bacc or SMP?

Given the above:
6. When selecting a pre-med program, what should I look out for in a program (or whichever type of program you recommend)?
a *ADHD programs?
b *returning after a while, don't want to screw up my GPA more while adjusting.*
7. Do my volunteering hours for the social service agency I worked for act as volunteer hours and what other extra curriculars, experience etc. should I consider?
8. When should I start prepping for MCAT, what should my timeline look like- given that I did not take the pre-reqs yet?
*i did start going over Chem basics on my own, just to prime myself for school*

In conclusion: With taking everything addressed here in to account, what do you recommend I do, to reinvent myself as a competitive student for US Med schools?

I apologize for such a lengthy post. A lot of my questions are contradict each other, to highlight the aspects I am most confused about.
If my situation is a bit too complicated, can you point me in the direction of someone that can advise me?
I hope you can help.

Thank you!
P.s. The SDR is so amazing! I got so many answers to so many questions I had on here, and found loads of helpful advice!
I have worked now for about 3 years, and I am more ready than ever to jump back in to school. I hope to be enrolled for Spring 2021 semester.
Ideally, I would love to aim for NYU Grossman otherwise any US mid to upper tier schools in NY area. I am willing to do whatever it takes to get there.

A lot to unpack there. But first off, your goal is to eventually get into A medical, and not focus on one of the most competitive schools in the world.

Am i being unrealistic (you can be honest)?
1. Even if I am, what would you recommend I do to try to get as close to my goal as I can?

I'm not an expert in what credits are accepted and what aren't, but on the surface, but I do know what most schools do not accept foreign credits. Hence, I suspect that you're going to have to start from near scratch. Nursing classes aren't taken that seriously by Adcoms either, in my take.

Wise @lord999 and @Mr.Smile12 can you comment?

2. Being that I was Diagnosed with ADHD so late in the game, if I prove a strong upward trend now, will that help me at all (NYU)?
Forget about NYU. That's off the table unless you're a 3,9+/517+ MCAT score candidate.
Med schools will not give you slack for your ADHD. However, there are plenty that reward reinvention.

What do I do about my pre-existing credits (aside from the Georgian Court ones)-
3. If my religious study from abroad (more legit than the Gen ed) or Gen ed credits seem to be invalid in many Institutions, does that mean that they will not affect my overall GPA? ( should I not even bother trying to use them)

This seems to be the case

4. OR Should I pursue a new major (BIo or wtvr) and use my pre-existing credits (as likely only either/or may work) as electives?

This also seems to be the case.

5. OR Should I attempt to use all my sketchy credits (as they are not sciences) to complete my undergrad, and then pursue a post-bacc or SMP?
This seems to be the best path, provided whatever credits you have are valid.

Given the above:
6. When selecting a pre-med program, what should I look out for in a program (or whichever type of program you recommend)?

One that has good advising and a track record of sending their graduates to medical school.

a *ADHD programs?
b *returning after a while, don't want to screw up my GPA more while adjusting.*

Is your ADHD under control? If not, you nee dot get it so, and also seek out accommodations.

7. Do my volunteering hours for the social service agency I worked for act as volunteer hours and what other extra curriculars, experience etc. should I consider?
yes, very much so.

You need clinical exposure (employment or volunteering). Your nursing training may or may not count. (at least 150 hrs)
You need clinician shadowing (wait until the COVID crisis is over; you're in a marathon now, not a sprint. Get about 50 hrs
You need > 150 hours of nonclinical volunteering. This seems to have been checked off.
Research is good to have, but not required, especially as a non-trad student.

8. When should I start prepping for MCAT, what should my timeline look like- given that I did not take the pre-reqs yet?
*i did start going over Chem basics on my own, just to prime myself for school*

When you get all the MCAT pre-reqs out of the way. And do NOT take the exam until you are 100% ready for it.

In conclusion: With taking everything addressed here in to account, what do you recommend I do, to reinvent myself as a competitive student for US Med schools?

You need to have the academic bonafides to demonstrate that you can handle the rigors of a med school curriculum.

Read this:
Med School Rx: Getting In, Getting Through, and Getting On with Doctoring Original Edition by Walter Hartwig
ISBN-13: 978-1607140627

ISBN-10: 1607140624

Members don't see this ad.

Thank you so much for responding so quickly!

I realize I was not so clear so to clarify,

NYU is the "stars", I figured if I reach for that, I will hopefully get in to a US school. from what I've seen, they don't love reinvention, is that accurate?
That said, I do recognize that I will not be given more freedom with my ADHD, as far as admissions go.
I am prepared to "run the marathon" so to say, and put in the time and energy to be competitive for Medical school.

Being that it is likely that none of my gen ed credits would work, that would make me a Sophomore?
to rephrase- What do you recommend i do for my reinvention to make myself competitive?- because if it's my sophomore year, and I need to retake Chemistry I and Statistics(?), I have quite a long time ahead in school.
Is that enough time to reinvent myself or should I still pursue a post-bacc and backup plan as well?

In regards to my ADHD, I am medicated for over a year, and I have a Psychologist/coach, and Doctor, who are both very helpful. Still, this is my first time returning to real school on medication so I am unsure what to expect.
I am concerned that I will have time adjusting to school again since it's been some time that i have attended as a student. I thought to start brushing up on chemistry in my own time, so I can be better prepared. Or do you think it wise to start off in a CC. My initial doubts with that was that I have credits from all over the place and was hoping to finish the rest in one institution, to avoid adding more schools to the mix.

I saw Hofstra has good ADHD support but when researching, found people were not so excited about it being a contender when applying to Med school and being prepared for the MCAT. Being that I do have a support system and many schools have some sort of support for ADHD, when deciding on a school, should I prioritize the ADHD programs or the Premed advisory?
(Hunter has a Learning disabilities and I was told is more reputable, the other CUNYs do as well)

I see though, there are very limited resources and articles that are for ADHD pursuing Med school. Not such a shock, Medicine is not exactly the career choice for those of us with ADHD. Is it frowned upon by Medical Schools?
What are your thoughts on ADHD pursuing medicine?

I will definitely check out those articles. I also found your post on reinvention very insightful :)

Thank you so much for your help!
NYU is the "stars", I figured if I reach for that, I will hopefully get in to a US school. from what I've seen, they don't love reinvention, is that accurate?

There are a fair number of MD schools (and all DO) that reward reinvention.

Being that it is likely that none of my gen ed credits would work, that would make me a Sophomore?

Haven't a clue. You need ot discuss this with a real pre-med advisor.

to rephrase- What do you recommend i do for my reinvention to make myself competitive?- because if it's my sophomore year, and I need to retake Chemistry I and Statistics(?), I have quite a long time ahead in school.

You probably have anywhere from 3-5 years before you're ready to apply. IF you can do well (like 3.6+ GPA) from no one, that will make you a competitive candidate. A post-bac or SMP might not be needed at that point.

I saw Hofstra has good ADHD support but when researching, found people were not so excited about it being a contender when applying to Med school and being prepared for the MCAT. Being that I do have a support system and many schools have some sort of support for ADHD, when deciding on a school, should I prioritize the ADHD programs or the Premed advisory?

This is outside my expertise. I suspect that you're going to have to do your research to find the most supportive school

I see though, there are very limited resources and articles that are for ADHD pursuing Med school. Not such a shock, Medicine is not exactly the career choice for those of us with ADHD. Is it frowned upon by Medical Schools? What are your thoughts on ADHD pursuing medicine?

Sustained academic excellence will allay any Adcom member's concerns

I don't know that I can answer all of your questions. That being said, here is some general advice.

ALL undergraduate credits will be counted, so those will need to be averaged into your GPA. If your goal is to get into medical school, you need at the bare minimum a GPA > 3.0, and 3.5 is honestly ideal. If this is not the case, a post-baccalaureate program will help with GPA repair.

In addition, you will have to take the MCAT.

All of the story stuff matters very little if your objective measures aren't up to par.

Status
Not open for further replies.