What's the best way/ book to learn how to scan with US?

Started by jzmati
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

jzmati

New Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm an R2 and I still feel like my scanning skills are not up to par. Would the Requisite help? Other ideas?
 
I'm an R2 and I still feel like my scanning skills are not up to par. Would the Requisite help? Other ideas?

A book may help you understand the physics/technical aspects of scanning but in order to improve you have to actually scan. Practice on co-residents. Shadow an US tech if you can. For US-guided biopsies you can purchase or make a phantom (would practice with a 25-gauge)...you guys scan on call/night-float?
 
I tried to read a book aimed at US techs and just didn't find it helpful. Practice and experience were the best for me. Can you go scan patients during your US rotations? We have the freedom to do that before or after the techs finish their exam and it's helpful. If your workflow is too busy, then may not be feasible.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Thank you all for your valuable input. I guess my best bet is to stick with the ultrasound techs during my next rotation.

Thanks again