What's the best way to not burn bridges?

Started by UGAZ
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

UGAZ

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I applied a clinical pharmacist job at a teaching hospital A a while back ago, and they called me yesterday to schedule interview (it's been 4 months). Now, I am currently working at my place B as a clinical pharmacist too and I just got a raise (finally). So my question is.....what should I do to decline the offer of the place A so that just in case later I still can land a job at A when B doesn't work out? Should I tell the truth about no long interested in interviewing there? Or should I just show up at the interview for the heck of it?

Place A is where I can see myself working until retirement because it has full pension, benefits, etc...
 
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
If place A is where you can see yourself working until retirement, then why aren't you interested anymore? Just because you got a raise at your current job? I would say interview and take job at hospital A if it is offered to you, since they seem to have everything you are looking for in a job.

I am very interested in place A but meantime, my spouse is expecting baby and place B insurance covers 100% for us. Say if place A hires me, I am afraid there will be a delay in getting insurance ...who knows...then I have to pay out of pocket for labor and delivery cost (20k???).
 
I am very interested in place A but meantime, my spouse is expecting baby and place B insurance covers 100% for us. Say if place A hires me, I am afraid there will be a delay in getting insurance ...who knows...then I have to pay out of pocket for labor and delivery cost (20k???).
Just get COBRA coverage until after the delivery.
 
I applied a clinical pharmacist job at a teaching hospital A a while back ago, and they called me yesterday to schedule interview (it's been 4 months). Now, I am currently working at my place B as a clinical pharmacist too and I just got a raise (finally). So my question is.....what should I do to decline the offer of the place A so that just in case later I still can land a job at A when B doesn't work out? Should I tell the truth about no long interested in interviewing there? Or should I just show up at the interview for the heck of it?

Place A is where I can see myself working until retirement because it has full pension, benefits, etc...

Why are people so afraid of burning bridges?
Burn em!

Instill fear! Establish dominance!
 
I applied a clinical pharmacist job at a teaching hospital A a while back ago, and they called me yesterday to schedule interview (it's been 4 months). Now, I am currently working at my place B as a clinical pharmacist too and I just got a raise (finally). So my question is.....what should I do to decline the offer of the place A so that just in case later I still can land a job at A when B doesn't work out? Should I tell the truth about no long interested in interviewing there? Or should I just show up at the interview for the heck of it?

Place A is where I can see myself working until retirement because it has full pension, benefits, etc...

You don't owe place B anything other than your 100% effort while you are there. If place is the place you want to work until you retire, go to the interview. You don't need the job so see what the offer is....
 
I'd hate to leave after such a short amount of time, but if the other hospital is where you really want to build your career long term then it could be worth it. Like Old Timer said, no harm in going to the interview and seeing what the offer is. Maybe you'll get offered more money for a better position, maybe they will lowball you or the management will turn out to be people you don't want to work for. You'll never know unless you go, and you can always say no.
 
Nothing ventured, nothing gained. No balls, no babies. Just interview at this new place and see what they have to offer. What do you have to lose by interviewing at this new place?
 
I would interview. You do not know if you are going to get offered the job. If you do get the job ,make the decision then. At least you won't regret not going on the interview.


Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
 
If you really like A go for it - but be honest with them up front - if they make you an offer you like - ya - you burnt the bridge with B and won't get hired back there again anytime in the future, but if A is what you want- then you won't care