what's the best way to prepare for post-bacc?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

echinoderm

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
echinoderm said:
regardless of which post-bacc program you go to, what is the best way to prepare? e.g. audit classes (such as neuro) before graduating? study during the summer before?

my best suggestion is to relax. have some fun the summer before starting post-bac. You want to kill those classes in the program so best get the partying, hanging out with friends, and traveling done beforehand.

if you really want to prepare, it really helps to know which type post-bac you're doing. I think it makes a difference between say a masters degree in a bio or chem vs. mph vs. fulfilling pre-requisites.

I just finished my formal post-bacc last week (woohoo!). It was just the prereqs, not a masters or anything. Before I started, I studied like a little b****. I got the chem and physics books, and just rocked them all summer so I had already done all the sample problems and stuff. I know that sounds totally crazy and gunner-esque, but I knew I had to dominate the classes, and it worked. Not only did I finish with a perfect 4.0, but all my professors think I'm really smart since I always answered questions. I don't think everyone necessarily HAS to do something like this, but in my case it was totally helpful. :thumbup:

I know where you're coming from. I don't think there's any one real way to prepare for a postbac before you know what kind of classes you'll be facing (the teacher's methods, the textbook chapters that will be covered, etc.) but I've found this helpful: if you already know what kind of book will be used in the course, buy it early and study it. That way you won't be suffering with a heavy workload right away because you'll already be familiar with much of the class material.

Also, if you know you're weak in a particular area, get a recently published book on the subject and read up on it. As I've mentioned elsewhere, I was astonishingly bad at algebra. A book wasn't enough to save me so I needed a tutor, but for most folks a book should be enough. If you still need a tutor when you get to class, at least you won't be as clueless as you would be going in without any preparation.

Hope that helps. :)