What's the deal w/ GME funding and pedo?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

greengrapes2006

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can someone please explain why some pedo (not sure if it's just pedo) programs prefer not to accept a candidate that has done a GPR due to GME funding? Also, what if a candidate has completed 2 years of a GPR?
Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Can someone please explain why some pedo (not sure if it's just pedo) programs prefer not to accept a candidate that has done a GPR due to GME funding? Also, what if a candidate has completed 2 years of a GPR?
Thanks!

Those applicants don't enter the program as PGY1 residents, they enter as PGY2 (or PGY3), and therefore must be paid as such. A PGY2 gets more money than a PGY1.

It never made sense to me, since the amount we are discussing is usually $5-7k more per year, but I guess it turns some programs off to various applicants. I've never seen first-hand evidence of this happening.

When I was a resident we didn't have an interest in some applicants that had done GPRs simply because they had bad habits, but we NEVER considered it in terms of having to give them for funding. Maybe that occurred behind closed doors. My guess is that it didn't.

Thanks!

GME also has limits for coverage. After max time training (as set by CODA)
the program will not get 100% of GME funds. I recall, it may be only 50%.
A GPR, if a 2 year program will be paid at 100%, but then the next grad program will be made at 100% for remaining years for years to graduate...If peds is approved for 3 years; 1 year will be at 100%, the other two at 50%.
Its confusing.

GME also has limits for coverage. After max time training (as set by CODA)
the program will not get 100% of GME funds. I recall, it may be only 50%.
A GPR, if a 2 year program will be paid at 100%, but then the next grad program will be made at 100% for remaining years for years to graduate...If peds is approved for 3 years; 1 year will be at 100%, the other two at 50%.
Its confusing.

Good post. Thanks! :thumbup: