whats the deal with Finch?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

3aliyah

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
With Finch's low entering class GPA I'm wondering if I will get a decent residency - if they truly base it on the school. It sounds like Finch has the reputation for low GPA and those who can't make the cut go there...

Members don't see this ad.

supposedly the low GPA is due to the fact that around a third of their class comes from their one of their masters programs, which is kind of like a post-bacc program designed for those who have had or may have trouble getting into med school due to their low undergrad GPAs. if they pull at least a 3.0 or something in the masters program, they're pretty much guaranteed a spot in the med school class at finch. this is what i've heard. anyway, the low GPAs of these students gets averaged in with everyone else's, which is why, overall, it appears low. but supposedly for those people who are accepted the traditional way (they simply apply), the average GPA and MCATs are more typical (something like a 3.5-3.6 and 10s).

some people do match well for residencies, but it's just the top students in the class. overall the school still has a pretty bad rep that it can't shake, although it's improving. but it's still a med school and you'll still graduate a doctor. it's not as easy to get in there as people think.