Whats the deal????

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Bill_252001

B+
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok so I have been visiting this forum for couple days now and all I feel is disappointment all around. I see many students with high pcat score, good gpa and pharmacy experience getting not accepted at the same time we have bunch with average stats getting accepted. What's the deal? Is there any pattern pharmacy school follows about accepting students? I have my stats written some wehre on this forum so i am not going to discuss them again, but if those with excellent stats get in after applying second or third time, what are the chances for rest of us????

Members don't see this ad.

Bill_252001 said:
Ok so I have been visiting this forum for couple days now and all I feel is disappointment all around. I see many students with high pcat score, good gpa and pharmacy experience getting not accepted at the same time we have bunch with average stats getting accepted. What's the deal? Is there any pattern pharmacy school follows about accepting students? I have my stats written some wehre on this forum so i am not going to discuss them again, but if those with excellent stats get in after applying second or third time, what are the chances for rest of us????

That's got me worried as well. But my feeling is that many may be applying to very competitive schools, or are applying to too few schools.

Bill_252001 said:

Some of these people may have other 'faults/disadvantages' like not interviewing well, poor English-speakers, just being a general @sshole who's only in it for the money/prestige, etc. If pharmacy is what you really want to do, then just keep on trucking and remaining positive, you'll get in eventually. Just be diverse in the types of school you apply. And also, try to ace the PCAT...bringing your GPA up after a certain point is pretty hard to do. The PCAT can be one stand-out point on your resume. :)

nerdystar said:
Some of these people may have other 'faults/disadvantages' like not interviewing well, poor English-speakers, just being a general @sshole who's only in it for the money/prestige, etc. If pharmacy is what you really want to do, then just keep on trucking and remaining positive, you'll get in eventually. Just be diverse in the types of school you apply. And also, try to ace the PCAT...bringing your GPA up after a certain point is pretty hard to do. The PCAT can be one stand-out point on your resume. :)
Totally agree - pharmacy is generally a very people-focused profession that requires good communication skills. If you don't interview well or don't write well, then I think that can really be a problem with some schools, no matter what your GPA and PCAT are.

There are some schools that accept only astronomically high stats (see UGA's website, for one) and part of the reason they can do that is that Georgia is a very large state and they have a much larger applicant in-state pool to draw from. Plus, they are the only public pharmacy school in GA, so people want to go there because it's so much cheaper.

As far as the wanting to be in it for the prestige, money, etc. I had one prof tell me while I was interviewing with his school that they actively try to deny students who come across as choosing pharmacy school "just because their parents think it's a good idea" or "just because they will make a lot of money". They want people who appear to have a genuine desire to join the profession, and can articulate why they want to do so.