What's the hardest class, so far?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Toran

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a senior, and I will be applying next June. My question is: what is the most difficult class you've taken so far?
Your answer will help me to determine which classes to take now to be better prepared in Medical School.
Thanks for all your help,
Toran

Members don't see this ad.

We aren't very far underway, so the hardest is tough to say. But, I do know that my Cell Physiology course has sure helped me so far in Histology. Biochemistry will help as well.

All of the classes are pretty tough. It's not that the material is difficult to understand, but the volume of it that can be overwhelming. Any class that is related to the med school classes will help you prepare. Whatever you learn ahead of time might make your life easier in med school.

Members don't see this ad :)
After going through the first year I would say: #1 hardest is microbiology
#2 is physiology

Although pharmacology is very difficult too, however, not many undergrad colleges offer that as undergrad course.

If you take microbiology, don't take the general microbiology. I suggest you take the one that the med-tech students are taking. I can assure that the name of all the bugs will drive you crazy.

I am a first year in only my first year of classes but I would say that I sure wish that I had taken biochem before coming to medical school. I am finding that class to be the hardest of the ones we have so far.

------------------
Carrie
KCOM '03

Cardiovascular system...second year!

Good luck!

Do you have to take any nutritional classes?

Let me unequivocally state BIOCHEM!!! Ahhhhhhhh....pulling my hair out over that one. I wish I had taken it as an undergrad.

------------------
'Old Man Dave'
KCOM, Class of '03

Regarding nutritional classes, the first three lectures in biochemistry were over nutrition. I think taking a nutrition class would over prepare you for a small part of the biochem class. It would be nice to know, but we didn't cover it in any great detail.

At different schools different classes are harder than others. Our(COMP) histo was short and sweet. I wish I had taken an anatomy class as an undergrad. I also wish I had listened to my advisor's advice and taken micro, biochem and physiology. All of these classes are review for some people. If you are serious- take as many of them as possible. Biochem. Histo. Embryo. Microbio. Phsyio. Pharm. Anatomy- are some of the classes I have as an MSI.

G-luck.

Chemistry was one of my best subjects in undegrad and biochem is still tough! I think it all depends on the person though because I'm really getting into histology - which friends are hating!

Scott

If you can take a good anatomy course I think it would be extremely helpful. The practical exams in anatomy are hard, but most people find that the written exams are even more difficult. Origins, insertions, innervations, arterial supply, actions, functions, Lions and Tigers, and Bears, OH MY!! Most schools don't offer undergraduates a good anatomy course though. Buy an anatomy text and an atlas to sit by your toilet for some leisurely reading over the next year.
Definately a good biochem. class, and if you can, human embryology, upper level micro, and physiology. That will prepare you well for the first semester. After your first semester of breathing the fumes in the anatomy lab, you won't remember anything else from your undergraduate school.

Anatomy, hands down! I have almost finished my M.S. degree in Cell Biology/Cancer Research and have a strong background in molecular biology in college and nothing even prepared me for this. Not even leisurely reading Netter's Atlas......

EDGAR

[This message has been edited by edgar (edited October 07, 1999).]

Looking back, OMT courses were the hardest for me, if you go by course GPA.