cys19

10+ Year Member
Apr 29, 2006
Status
Pre-Dental
Is it the one on the market? Or do they give it to you when you take the Kaplan course?

biocmp

I'm a computer
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Oct 24, 2005
Indiana
Status
Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
Just curious, what's the difference between 2007-2008 edition and the one printed in 2005? Do they have all different questions and explanations? I may buy the new one, but I already have the old one.

About the Ads

drdoodle

10+ Year Member
Jun 4, 2006
Status
Pre-Dental
Any difference between the Blue Book and the book Kaplan gives you when you take their classroom course? Just wondering if I might have been better prepared for the exam with the BB than the other one.

Lucass

RunswithPredents
10+ Year Member
Jul 26, 2006
California
Status
Pre-Dental
drdoodle said:
Any difference between the Blue Book and the book Kaplan gives you when you take their classroom course? Just wondering if I might have been better prepared for the exam with the BB than the other one.
You're better off with the white book that the KAPLAN course gives you. I didn't take their course so I bought the blue book from the bookstore. I went through everything in there--front-to-back, back-to-front and then my friend gave me his white book he got from taking the course and I did the same thing with it. What I found was that the only minor difference was 1)the white one came with more practice questions after each section 2)there was a lot more information about plants on the biology section in the white one than there was in the blue (which you will definitely need to know for the DAT). You're fine without getting the blue book sold at the bookstore, but if makes you feel more comfortable about taking the test, go for it.

reapply2007

10+ Year Member
Jun 23, 2006
Status
Dental Student
There was a thread on Kaplan versions earlier. They are the same book. The change in editions is designed to separate you from your money. It is possible that some very minor revisions occurred but nothing large. Save the money on the new edition and buy a used copy of the old edition. Better yet, but the used Kaplan white copy with practice problems not in the blue book. You can find all of this stuff used on amazon at substantial discounts off new.

OP
C

cys19

10+ Year Member
Apr 29, 2006
Status
Pre-Dental
How many books does Kaplan give you? I know Kaplan's MCAT review gives a book for each section, plus a lesson plan book. Also, are the practice tests in the books? And how many CD's are there?

reapply2007

10+ Year Member
Jun 23, 2006
Status
Dental Student
Basically, pay >$1,000, then you either listen to a live lecturer or listen to an on-line lecture. Then there are some on-line problems and some hard copy problems. Then there are publications. Anything not on-line can be purchased used (class work and homework assignments).

Here's the Kaplan link to DAT stuff, with the MSRP.
http://www.kaptest.com/Kaplan/4/Dental/DAT/View-Kaplan-Programs
DAT - 2007- 2008 Edition
$65.00
ISBN: 1419577913

This DAT version does not have the review notes. Buy the White book used, it is the same book but with practice problems dispersed throughout plus practice test.

Organic Chemistry Edge - 2nd Edition
$40.00
ISBN: 0743241002

Good orgo review with problems to work.

drdoodle

10+ Year Member
Jun 4, 2006
Status
Pre-Dental
For the Kaplan classroom course they give you 2 books: one huge thick white one that reviews Orgo, Bio, and General Chem, and then one smaller white "Lesson Book" that you bring with you to class every time, and that covers PAT, Reading Comp, and QR in addition to the sciences. The instructor reads aloud from the Lesson Book (which I thought was kind of a rip off) and you do sample problems/questions from the book together. Also included in the classroom package was the Orgo, Bio, and GChem flashcards, which I thought were REALLY helpful, probably the most helpful part.

LNinlove

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 31, 2004
California
Visit site
Status
Dental Student
Hey guys I posted this link in the DAT forum but walmart sells the book for like $35.00 + $0.97 shipping. Unfortunately, I already have the new book or else I would have got it here. Also, very unfortunate, my saving money supercedes my hate for walmart.

Do as you wish...just wanted to help everyone save a few bucks....

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=4873422

About the Ads