What's the P1 Intern like?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mixdown

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What do the make you do as an intern your first year of pharm school? Do you/has anyone gotten paid? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

What do the make you do as an intern your first year of pharm school? Do you/has anyone gotten paid? Thanks!

Needs more clarification.
Are you talking about IPPE's or a regular job as an intern?
One's paid, the other isn't. Both are generally glorified techs, but one you grow out of the other there's not time to usually.

Needs more clarification.
Are you talking about IPPE's or a regular job as an intern?
One's paid, the other isn't. Both are generally glorified techs, but one you grow out of the other there's not time to usually.

I think my big question was if IPPE's get paid. Or if you get paid, can you count those hours towards your IPPE? In general, how do most schools do it, I'm sure it might be different for different schools. I want to see if I have to/should get a job in addition to school and the IPPEs...? Any advice or personal experience would help too! Thanks soo much!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hope you like getting coffee and picking up lunch!

IPPEs and APPEs have to be unpaid. Working at an off site pharmacy for pay cannot count towards your IPPE hours.

So what have most of you here done? Have a job (paid) on top of the IPPEs and school (and life!!!) ?

So what have most of you here done? Have a job (paid) on top of the IPPEs and school (and life!!!) ?

you got it, the money tree hasn't been growing very well lately, Global warming I suppose.

i work 15H QW, school full time, play hockey 1 QW. I did 50 hours of IPPE this semester, 27 tests I think? (we have somewhere in the range of 52 tests P-1 year)and various labs, projects, papers and presentations. Oh and I still make time to see my gf who lives 100 mi away about every weekend one way or another.

You bet it sucks, but this is your career, and if you cannot multi-task and manage the situation at hand, then maybe you should rethink your choices...

wow quiksilver, you are just awesome at time management!!!! can you please be my personal life coach?

I did my EPPE and worked 4 days a week and then worked my other 2 jobs on the 3 days that I had left. However, at the end of the summer I felt like I had been ran over by a MAC truck and i have vowed to never work that much ever again.

I got to be more than a glorified tech. I was able to take care of there MTM program which was great experience in interviewing patients.

I never said I couldn't do it. You should ask what I'm doing now. I just want a break, for a week at least!!! But I guess I'll have to wait a few more years. :D

you got it, the money tree hasn't been growing very well lately, Global warming I suppose.

i work 15H QW, school full time, play hockey 1 QW. I did 50 hours of IPPE this semester, 27 tests I think? (we have somewhere in the range of 52 tests P-1 year)and various labs, projects, papers and presentations. Oh and I still make time to see my gf who lives 100 mi away about every weekend one way or another.

You bet it sucks, but this is your career, and if you cannot multi-task and manage the situation at hand, then maybe you should rethink your choices...