Whats the reason why professors don't respond to LOR emails?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

eyebrowdoc

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Like why do they just see and ignore it?

I dont get this logic because don't they realize how important it is and we can't go to grad school if we don't get any recs? didn't they go through this process themselves and have any sympathy for us? at least respond by saying they are busy so just stop by my office but plainly ignoring it is just unprofessional, leaving the student wasting his time and feeling lost. am i wrong for thinking this way?

Members don't see this ad.

Not sure. But I know they do tend to get flooded with email. For something like this, it's better to go in person and bring along a cover letter, resume, and personal statement. See if they hold office hours. Otherwise email again at a later time about making an appointment.

Yeah, I think it is pretty disrespectful. I know they're busy but typing out a simple sentence shouldn't be so time consuming.

Members don't see this ad :)
Not sure. But I know they do tend to get flooded with email. For something like this, it's better to go in person and bring along a cover letter, resume, and personal statement.

yeah but we need to email them first to see when we can come in. im not gonna randomly stalk his office for hours hoping he is there and waste my time

A lot of times student emails tend to go into the spam folder right away so the professor might not have seen it at all. This happens all the time to my PI with emails about working in the lab.
I definitely agree with Ohyeah about going in person. Professors get so many emails that it's probably really easy for them to lose track of a couple.

A lot of times student emails tend to go into the spam folder right away so the professor might not have seen it at all. This happens all the time to my PI with emails about working in the lab.
I definitely agree with Ohyeah about going in person. Professors get so many emails that it's probably really easy for them to lose track of a couple.

why would student emails go to spam folder. doesnt make sense to me. if it does what a fail in communication within the school

yeah but we need to email them first to see when we can come in. im not gonna randomly stalk his office for hours hoping he is there and waste my time

Yea I agree it sucks. I personally had to stalk office hours for one professor.

Sometimes emails just get lost in the mix in between all of the course-related questions, kids challenging their grades, research requests, faculty demands, etc. I know some professors who just won't respond about letters of rec if they have never spoken to the student before (such as after a class).

Stalk and try, try again. Idk how else

I dont get this logic because don't they realize how important it is and we can't go to grad school if we don't get any recs? didn't they go through this process themselves and have any sympathy for us? at least respond by saying they are busy so just stop by my office but plainly ignoring it is just unprofessional, leaving the student wasting his time and feeling lost. am i wrong for thinking this way?

I personally chose to email each of my LOR writers requesting an appointment to meet with them, and I waited to see if they would be willing to write a strong LOR during our meeting. More than one mentioned they appreciated that I had asked them in-person. I think this also helps the pre-med, as it is much easier to detect any hesitancy or reservations when you ask them face-to-face. Just my two cents.

Because they are busy. Schedule an appointment with them... Or visit their office hours.. Not everything is about you

Because they are busy. Schedule an appointment with them... Or visit their office hours..

did u not read my post? how am i suppose to schedule an appt if they dont respond to my email? I feel like I shouldnt be visiting their office hours because Im not in their class anymore and that time is reserved for ppl in the class. then again i can stop in just to ask them to meet another time. god damn it, it shouldnt be this hard!!

p.s. i emailed a doctor(surgeon) who wroks sometimes 7 days a week to write me a rec and he reponded in an hour. if a doctor can do it a professor can do it also. like c'mon are u really THAT busy that u can't even respond to a email/rant

I have the same exact issue right. No response, but I did get response from a Literature professor fairly quickly and gonna meet up for some coffee....I am also out of school for quite a while as well...maybe its because its only been a week since Spring Quarter started....but it effing blows waiting for that response.

did u not read my post? how am i suppose to schedule an appt if they dont respond to my email? I feel like I shouldnt be visiting their office hours because Im not in their class anymore and that time is reserved for ppl in the class. then again i can stop in just to ask them to meet another time. god damn it, it shouldnt be this hard!!

p.s. i emailed a doctor(surgeon) who wroks sometimes 7 days a week to write me a rec and he reponded in an hour. if a doctor can do it a professor can do it also. like c'mon are u really THAT busy that u can't even respond to a email/rant

Well, find other professors then. Sounds like they are not interested in you and aren't taking your emails seriously.

Well, find other professors then. Sounds like they are not interested in you and aren't taking your emails seriously.

well all of them already agreed in person so i dont think thats the case

Members don't see this ad :)
haha! I can understand your frustration. Many of us can. This is part of the grueling process that is applying to med school. A lot of it will be dependent on others. Just be persistent. Show up at office hours. You may have to wait around, or show up several times. You have to figure out a way to get it done. And when they agree to write a letter, you may still have to hound them to get it done. GL!

EDIT: sounds like they already agreed. So this is just phase two. Hound on :D

They might be busy; meant to get back to you, but forgot. Or, they might not want to write a LoR or the email explaining why they don't want to write you one.

How long has it been since you sent the email? Less than two weeks isn't abnormal. Professors tend to be busy and they'll read an email, think "I'll respond to this later", and then forget about it.

When I sent out my emails I told my potential LOR writers I needed a response from them within a week (deadline issue). Two got back to me within the hour. Another two got back to me 6 days later. It just differs from person to person.

If it's been two weeks try sending another email with a title that has a low probability of getting caught by a spam filter. Or if they're nearby you can always just pop by when they're in the office. The only reason I sent emails to LOR writers is because they were a two hour one-way trip away.

How long has it been since you sent the email? Less than two weeks isn't abnormal. Professors tend to be busy and they'll read an email, think "I'll respond to this later", and then forget about it.

When I sent out my emails I told my potential LOR writers I needed a response from them within a week (deadline issue). Two got back to me within the hour. Another two got back to me 6 days later. It just differs from person to person.

If it's been two weeks try sending another email with a title that has a low probability of getting caught by a spam filter. Or if they're nearby you can always just pop by when they're in the office. The only reason I sent emails to LOR writers is because they were a two hour one-way trip away.

I sent them yesterday

I texted my letter writers to setup a time to meet. We met, had to hound them a bit later to get things in on time, but it didn't seem to be an issue.

Maybe you aren't as important to your letter writers as you seem to think you are? Also, a lot of people don't check their e-mail on weekends or don't respond to everything they are sent immediately. Do they actually know who you are or are you essentially 'cold calling' them?

so? do people not check their emails during weekends?

Some people like to strictly be in professional mode during the regular work week, and keep their personal life intact and separate. But guess you wouldn't know that since you have not been in the professional world. That being said, your professor is likely to, and well within their rights to not respond until Monday. I know a lot of professors like this, you shouldn't be assuming they are rude after less than 24 hrs, and on a weekend at that.

I sent them yesterday

HA_HA_HA,_OH_WOW.jpg

Maybe you aren't as important to your letter writers as you seem to think you are? Also, a lot of people don't check their e-mail on weekends or don't respond to everything they are sent immediately. Do they actually know who you are or are you essentially 'cold calling' them?

I think this is what is going on, OP was not memorable. Professors are still trying to figure out who the heck he/she is.

so? do people not check their emails during weekends?

Yeah dude, I would be a little worried, maybe they don't remember your name but a face...

I would suggest googling their address and popping by their house ASAP while that email is still fresh in their mind. They can then bring a face to your name and know you are definitely a hard worker and really want to go to medical school! You will for sure get a letter then!

Not sure if this applies to your situation, but I was taught to do the following:

After asking for a LOR, go in to the professor once a week at the exact same day and time (e.g. Tuesday at 11 AM) and ask them if they have had an opportunity to start your letter. Regardless of the status of your letter, tell them thank you and that you understand they are busy, and emphasis how important their letter is to you both in terms of applying and personally.

This provides a regular, physical presence without being too overbearing. Good luck.

If it's that important, go see the professor in person.

One of my professors, (who has written me LOR's), will only talk with me in person. At first, I thought he was ignoring my emails or not getting them, but while talking to him in person, he would refer to the emails I sent, (so I know he does read them). Maybe he just doesn't have time to respond, but he always ends up submitting everything correctly and on time, (which my emails tell him how to do).

Professors, especially busy and popular ones, tend to get tons of emails each day. Find a way to talk with him/her in person and that way you'll get an immediate answer also.

Yeah dude, I would be a little worried, maybe they don't remember your name but a face...

I would suggest googling their address and popping by their house ASAP while that email is still fresh in their mind. They can then bring a face to your name and know you are definitely a hard worker and really want to go to medical school! You will for sure get a letter then!

Hopefully that won't creep them out :eek:

A week is standard.

How can you expect to get good LORs when you can't even be bothered to get off the computer and see them in-person? It's kind of like personally going into a place of employment to hand in your resume. :cool:

How can you expect to get good LORs when you can't even be bothered to get off the computer and see them in-person? It's kind of like personally going into a place of employment to hand in your resume. :cool:

why dont u read the rest of the thread genius. I cant just go to their office when I feel like it that's disrespectful and also most likely the professor won't be there.

Not sure if this applies to your situation, but I was taught to do the following:

After asking for a LOR, go in to the professor once a week at the exact same day and time (e.g. Tuesday at 11 AM) and ask them if they have had an opportunity to start your letter. Regardless of the status of your letter, tell them thank you and that you understand they are busy, and emphasis how important their letter is to you both in terms of applying and personally.

This provides a regular, physical presence without being too overbearing. Good luck.

I'm sorry, but how is this not overbearing? :confused:

What is the size of your institution? I go to a small liberal arts college and I can personally say that I'd be able to ask any of my professors in person if needed ( and I will soon). I think that this is one of the benefits of going to a small school.

maybe if you are currently in their class it's ok. But if you've been out of their class for years or semesters I don't think they like random people popping in. Professors are really busy people.

And it really depends on your relationship with them.

Some people like to strictly be in professional mode during the regular work week, and keep their personal life intact and separate. But guess you wouldn't know that since you have not been in the professional world. That being said, your professor is likely to, and well within their rights to not respond until Monday. I know a lot of professors like this, you shouldn't be assuming they are rude after less than 24 hrs, and on a weekend at that.

This. And even a few weeks isn't abnormal either. There are other things they have going on. This is why it's advised to request LORs way in advance.

why dont u read the rest of the thread genius. I cant just go to their office when I feel like it that's disrespectful and also most likely the professor won't be there.

Why do you feel it's disrespectful? Professors have plenty of students they taught in the past reach out to them in person. You aren't the only one or the first to do so. If they are currently talking to a student in their office, sit outside and wait until he is done. It's not like as soon as office hours are over, he'll ignore you. If he does, it's probably not someone you would want writing a LOR anyway...

You can drop by their office outside of office hours and see if he is there. A quick chat about a letter isnt unreasonable.

I'm curious what people expect the timeline for email responses to be. In the real world, its not as fast as you would expect. Like mentioned, on the weekends, people don't touch their professional emails. I know I don't check my school email on weekends unless I am expecting something.

Hay OP, please stop feeling so entitled. It will serve you well in the future.

On behalf of your professors, I apologize that they have not emailed you back in the 24 hour window you think is considered "professional." They're probably off having normal lives and being normal people. As you have not been in the real world, I assure you a vast proportion of the population does not check work emails once office hours are over. Again, sorry you have to wait SO long to hear back. The university and it's employee obvious exists to serve your needs 24/7.

You ask, "am I wrong for thinking this way?"

The answer is YES. y-e-s. yes, yes, yes.

and FYI Office hours are for everyone.

It's a struggle to get LOR. Think about it, you are asking the professor to take time out of their day to construct a personalized letter. For this they get nothing in return other than knowing they helped you out. If someone asked you to do this would you jump right up and do it immediately? No, kinda sounds to me like it is something I would put off. "Well maybe I'll go home in play with my kids for an hour instead of writing that LOR". THAT is why it takes some prompting, not because they don't want to, but because they have other things they would RATHER be doing!

Survivor DO

why dont u read the rest of the thread genius.

I've read the thread. Thanks for the ad hominem attack though. Stay classy eyebrowdoc. :cool:

I cant just go to their office when I feel like it that's disrespectful...

Personally, I know of no professor that I couldn't at least ASK for a LOR in-person (and I've done so plenty of times for scholarships, at have not gotten a no yet). At worst, it's embarrassing because the professor won't remember who the hell you are, but it's certainly not disrespectful. Come on, LOR are part of the game, they're used to it, and bringing it to them in-person at least shows that you REALLY want it.

...and also most likely the professor won't be there.

It's called a syllabus. More often than not, they're available online and include office hours.

Unless you have a legitimate reason such as no longer living in the vicinity of the college, you should be asking for letters personally after having a conversation during office hours. Most professors won't make the time for someone that isn't willing to make time for them. Also, sent an e-mail yesterday? smh.

I know they're busy but typing out a simple sentence shouldn't be so time consuming.
2a6.jpg

It's a slippery slope. What is you have 20 emails to respond to. How are you going to cherry pick the ones that only require one sentence answers? Hat if there is stressful content in some of those emails?

It's THE WEEKEND

Relax.

It's April... you don't need to start freaking out about LORs for several months at least.

This is not true in some scenarios. One could be applying early in June and have already indicated who one's potential writers are. If the LOR writter turns out to be a flake, then it causes potential delays during the secondary process at best or not considering one's application at worst (one does not meet LOR requirements).

Better to have them ASAP in a school letter service or interfolio than later.

Last edited:
Personally OP I've known my referees for a long period of time within the academic session. By going to their office hours, by asking questions, by participating in class and so forth. Only after that do I request an LOR but its usually in person as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.