What's with the Clogs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RussianJoo

Useless Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
what's the deal with people wearing clogs? I have worn a pair of dansko clogs in the past but would come very close to twisting my ankle almost every time I wore them. with that said why do you guys where them? Just to look "cool"? You can't run in them very well and besides the fact that they're leather and will not cause the blood to soak in as cloth sneakers do I don't see the point of them. I do like being 2 inches taller though..

Members don't see this ad.

Maybe yours didn't fit properly? Mine are ridiculously comfortable for walking, running, and standing 12+ hours a day.

About the only thing they don't do well is look cool.

I recently accompanied my mother to the hospital for a minor outpatient surgery when I noticed a group of 5 or 6 med students (short white coats) with EVERY SINGLE one of them sporting clogs of some sort. I'll tell you honestly, I'm already conforming to the standard of wearing the stupid white coat, so I'd rather not step it up a notch and wear the same shoes as everyone else on my team.

A nice pair of adidas cross trainers for me, thank you very much!

Members don't see this ad :)
I have the "next gen" ones, and they are very comfortable. Much better for standing than anything else I've ever owned. No ankle turning issues either.

Y'all should know Dansko got split -- the old Dansko name is now a shoe made in China or something like that. Sanita is the name of the shoe now made by the original Dansko company in Denmark.

So which "next gen" are you talking about -- the Dansko made in China or the original Danish made Sanitas?

Also, have you guys noticed that it seems like practically all the cool kids smoke? What's the deal with that? Do you have to be cool to smoke?

Y'all should know Dansko got split -- the old Dansko name is now a shoe made in China or something like that. Sanita is the name of the shoe now made by the original Dansko company in Denmark.

So which "next gen" are you talking about -- the Dansko made in China or the original Danish made Sanitas?

Thanks for bringing this up--I didn't know! I'll have to look into Sanitas. These http://www.sanitaclogs.com/aspnet/p-216-pirate.aspx look particularly awesome. Do the Sanitas have the same arch support as the Dansko clogs?

I did eventually cave into the Dansko cult, mostly because my legs and lower back would just ache after days in the OR. The high arch of the clog mitigates the pain. I don't wear them every day, as I do sometimes like to look nice! They look fine with scrubs, though, so no issue there. Ended up getting a pair of the cordovan clogs at the outlet (about an hour and a half outside of Philly) for half price, as well as a pair of adorable little boots: http://www.danskooutlet.com/Dansko-Outlet/Womens/Footwear/Boots/Style/Nena/Toast-Nappa/detail.aspx?1007797800. My boyfriend (not in the medical field) got these (http://www.danskooutlet.com/Dansko-Outlet/Mens/Footwear/Shoes/Style/Oliver/Brown-Veg-Tan/detail.aspx?8884800200), which improve his posture and look really nice.

personally I think clogs are bullsh$t. I mean you can not seriously tell me that clogs are more comfortable than good quality running shoes. MAybe they allow your feet to breath better but thats about the only advantage they have.

If they were really that stinking comfortable, then everyone would be wearing clogs everywhere, not just on call. You'd see Tyson Gay wearing clogs to run his 100m sprint, you'd see your neighborhood joes wearing clogs to go joggin in the street. you get my point. They're hideous and they're a fad.
</div>

I find sneakers to be uncomfortable - never found a pair that supported my arch properly and were wide enough for my feet. The old dansko clogs were fabulous. Pretty much all I wear are danskos, birkis, haflingers, and beautifeels. But I have wide feet, and a high arch in an odd place, so it seems I'm doomed for expensive european shoes. :(

Members don't see this ad :)
it's definitely for comfort. i love mine, and they aren't even at all ugly (i get complemented on them all the time...they are the mary-jane style strappy ones in black patent leather). but i've had them for years (way before med school). i can't wear running shoes without the tight back part cutting off nerves and giving me achilles heel blisters, no matter how "good" the shoes i've gotten are. you wanna see ugly, look at z-coils...the people who wear those...wow. http://www.zcoil.com/products_styles.html

my own personal opinion is that while the stiff, high arches of dansko's are good for standing, they are less good for walking. I started to get some weird pains in my knees and loss of muscle tone in my calves? or something weird after wearing danskos exclusively for a while. i'd recommend switching it up with other shoes occasionally. humans weren't designed to wear a hard, high arched shoe all day long.

i've tried on the mephistos (bentley of work shoes) and they were "okay"

tried on the danskos and they felt like two bricks attached to my feet.

ended up with the merrel (sp?) shoes.

obviously, different strokes for different folks.

still not sure what all the fuss regarding danskos are.

they weren't just ugly, but heavy. only plus i could think of, they gave me another inch or two.

I think the arch support really helps support your feet while standing. They're not bad for walking, but for long OR cases, Dankos beat sneakers any day - the latter just don't provide enough arch support and the tight(er) fit means more pain when your feet swell during longer cases.

i think in addition to being really comfortable, the benefit of danskos are that they can be worn with dress clothes. so if you are somewhere where you have to round in dress clothes and then go to the OR or something you don't need 2 pairs of shoes.

I just got back from shopping where I tried on the "new" Danskos and the Sanitas.

The new professional Danskos clogs have a flatter arch support, narrower box, shorter instep, and are a size smaller than the standard european sizing. The next gen Danskos have an even shorter instep and I just can't even get them on. I won't buy another pair of Danskos. They don't fit right anymore. Pity - I just live in my old Danskos.

The Sanitas feel exactly like the old Danskos. And they have a shoe with a liquigel insole that feels like you're walking on pillows (unfortunately, the instep is a bit shorter than the professional clog, and it's a little tight for me). Right now there are not too many colors out in the Sanitas - black and brown oiled, blueberry oiled should be coming soon, red and black patent, soon to have a cordova smooth leather along with black and brown smooth leather. More colors are planned in the future.

So I bought a pair of Merrell primos in leather as a trade-off for my old favorite danskos until the blueberry Sanitas come out.

So folks who tried Danskos in the past, try the ones made in China. They're smaller, narrower, flatter. Folks who loved the old Danskos fit, try the Sanitas (but they're much harder to find - at least where I am).

Excellent question.

Many of the clogs I have seen residents wearing don't even cover the whole foot. Isn't that some type of OSHA violation? I know that as a medical student I would have gotten slammed for trying that.

If they were really that stinking comfortable, then everyone would be wearing clogs everywhere, not just on call. You'd see Tyson Gay wearing clogs to run his 100m sprint, you'd see your neighborhood joes wearing clogs to go joggin in the street. you get my point. They're hideous and they're a fad.
</div>[/QUOTE]

Um, whatever you may think about how they look, clogs are absolutely not a fad. People in both the restaurant/catering and medical fields have been wearing clogs for years. They have definitely survived the test of time!

personally I think clogs are bullsh$t. I mean you can not seriously tell me that clogs are more comfortable than good quality running shoes. MAybe they allow your feet to breath better but thats about the only advantage they have.

</div>

Good running shoes are not made for standing. Running and walking shoes (tennis shoes) are made so that they continually cause your foot to roll smoothly from a heel strike to the front of your foot. This is why they are comfortable to run/walk in and uncomfortable to stand in.

If you are doing a lot of standing (ie surgery or prolonged rounds) a clog or clog like shoe is going to be best. They are designed to support you primarily in a standing position and for short walks. (no long distance walking)

Many people will carry two pairs of shoes: one for those long standing OR cases or rounds and one for 'running around the hospital'.

Reactions: 1 user
I am a Dansko fan for the simple reason that my feet and back don't hurt after 12+ hours with no time to sit. I just bought a pair of Sanitas and I like them too so far.
For those looking for Sanita clogs look at www.shoedawg.com they have pretty good sales.

Yeah my dansko's have tried to break my ankles several times now. I'm keeping an eye on them.

cant ever see myself payin over $20 for clogs since i see them as more of a disposable item like scrubs that you replace after wear and tear...got $10 crocs and they are comfortable and light...but im only able to wear them when im in scrubs...

Finally broke down and bought some Danskos recently. Jury's still out. I'm taller but I've nearly busted ass a few times and I'm still not sure about the manliness of clogs in general.

For those of you opposed to the clog look, Dansko has a men's shoe with some lines that combat the "clog" look

Dansko Sawyer

Haven't tried them personally but a fellow I worked under had a pair and absolutely raved about them. And they looked good with slacks.

Last edited:
Finally broke down and bought some Danskos recently. Jury's still out. I'm taller but I've nearly busted ass a few times and I'm still not sure about the manliness of clogs in general.

please let me know how things work out.. the residents at my hospital say it takes a few weeks to get used them but once they're broken in and u're used to them they're very comfortable and they're not worried about twisting their ankles at all. I think I am going to break down and buy a pair in a week or so. from what I hear a pair of dansko's lasts a good number of years, and I know I have plenty of shoes that are at least 3 years old and are in great shape, so this might be a good investment.

Well maybe Tyson Gay should try switching to something else.....after not making the finals

</div>

i can't wear them. they actually press directly on my dorsalis pedis and make my feet numb. $100 down the tubes.

acherona, did you just try the danskos? Because the new ones are definitely MUCH shorter in the instep. Try Sanitas (the company that made the old Danskos). Much roomier than the new Danskos - the Sanitas are like the old Danskos used to be.

acherona, did you just try the danskos? Because the new ones are definitely MUCH shorter in the instep. Try Sanitas (the company that made the old Danskos). Much roomier than the new Danskos - the Sanitas are like the old Danskos used to be.

Yea it was the danskos. I didn't realize they would do that when I tried them on at the store. I guess I have fat feet...good to know they have roomier ones now.

Find the Sanitas brand Acherona. I have very wide feet with a high instep and absolutely can NOT wear the new Danskos - the sizing on the new Danskos isn't even standard European.

The new Sanitas brand feels like my much-loved and well-worn old danskos that I got 3 years ago, but they can be difficult to find.

For those of you opposed to the blog look, Dansko has a men's shoe with some lines that combat the "clog" look

Dansko Sawyer

Haven't tried them personally but a fellow I worked under had a pair and absolutely raved about them. And they looked good with slacks.

speaking of blogs...how much of a narcicist does one have to be to spontaneously begin publishing writings about their own lilfe?

ShyRem:

Are the Sanitas' sizing identical to the old Danskos? Would I be able to replace my old black Danskos by ordering directly from a website, or should I be more paranoid and try to find a way to try them on before plunging?

The Sanitas sizing appears to be standard European - so they would fit the same way the old Danskos used to (and the way almost all european sized shoes fit).

At this point, having tried on the new Sanitas, I would feel comfortable ordering my size from an online place. But remember, the shoes are hand-stapled, so each one fits just a little bit different. If you ordered your old Danskos from an online place, go for it. If your feet are a bit sensitive to exactly how a shoe feels, try to find a store and have them get out all the Sanitas in the particular size, color, and style you want and then mix and match L/R for the best fits (just like a bunch of folks did with the old Danskos - me included).

I have worn Danskos in the OR for years. They are very comfortable for standing in one place. I also own a couple of pairs of Birkie Bostons too. The Birkinstocks work best for both standing and ward work. The Dansko's are good for standing more than moving around.

When I was a medical student and PGY-1 (surgical intern), I wore cowboy boots on the wards. My backcut pythons were too hot for the OR but served me well for the wards. Lot's of ankle support and super comfortable. I still wear these today for rounds with the residents and students but keep a couple of pairs of Danskos in my locker for operating. My Bostons are in my closet at home as they are my casual shoe footwear.

I have found Danskos to be the only dress shoes I can wear without feeling pain. I have a severe case of plantar fasciitis, and I have orthopedic inserts to put in the shoes. If cost is a worry, find a Dansko outlet...shoes are around $60 a pair. Running shoes also work for me, but that's for only the days of scrubs.

And of course, if rolling your ankle tends to happen, the higher shoes may not be for you. (or find shoes that aren't clogs and go higher up on the ankle)

Another person did point out to me that they want something with a back on the shoes so that they don't slip out of the shoe when walking backwards (rolling beds, etc). Food for thought.

speaking of blogs...how much of a narcicist does one have to be to spontaneously begin publishing writings about their own lilfe?

Just narcissistic enough, thanks.

Does anyone know how the sanitas fit relative to the "new" danskos (i think they were "new" danskos because they were in a store)?. I was only able to try the danskos on in real life and i cant find a store nearby that carries sanitas. Should i just order the same size?

I tried on the new Danskos and had to go up at least one size (the new Danskos really aren't true to European sizing), and the new Danskos have a really short instep. If you wear any other European sized shoes at all, order your regular size. All the European sized shoes I wear are the same size. They're pretty standard generally.

I wouldn't even hazard any kind of guess as to the sizing of the new Danskos .. they're just weird and very non-conforming.

Lariat (?) work boots -- done by 2 ladies who used the Nike footwear design as a base and improved from there -- extremely comfortable, impervious to stuff, slip resistant sole, good in all sorts of environments;

Everybody has their own set of tastes and preferences when it comes to choosing footwear for them. I usually prefer to wear wooden clogs as they are made of wood which is an insulator that makes my feet warm in the winter and cool in the summer. But above all the most important reason for wearing them being that they are orthopaedically designed to fit the shape of my feet.
Wow. Bringing back an 8 year old thread. Nice.