What's with the optometrists on these boards?

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

thanotoriousfob

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm not saying all the optometrists but many of you post irrational thoughts which lead to ridiculous threads. For professionals, I am not impressed. I like to come on this board in particular to get some info but what usually ends up happening is a pissing match between a few optometrists/optometry students or whoever. Is life really that bad for you guys?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm still in school, but I would guess the answer is no—it's not really that bad. The people who do well don't complain on the internets. It's kind of like course evaluations. Most of the time, the students who get decent grades don't complain about how the class was taught, so they don't fill out the surveys. Take the negative spin on here with a grain of salt.

I'm not saying all the optometrists but many of you post irrational thoughts which lead to ridiculous threads. For professionals, I am not impressed. I like to come on this board in particular to get some info but what usually ends up happening is a pissing match between a few optometrists/optometry students or whoever. Is life really that bad for you guys?

I see your point.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)

Who cares about your satisfaction. Profesionals are profesionals. There is no reason to expect them to be gods amongst others.

Yea sometimes OD's say irrational things, but they are speaking the truth from their POV, which might be your POV in the future. You should expect some sort of debate between two minds who are more then educated; simple conclusions are vaguley made, and when they are, its usually due to a very stupid question.

Criticizing OD's will only drive them away from posting valuable information so I suggest you refrain from posting negativity.

Whats the point of this thread anyways? Not like OD's will actually say life is bad for them publicly.

Anyhow, to all the OD's posting in the Optho forum and redirecting it here keep it up. :D

For someone not even in optometry school yet, you come across as pretty smug yourself.

Before you turn all self-righteous and ecclesiastical, consider that after you graduate, you may just turn out like the very optometrists you are now criticizing.

What? Just because I'm not in school yet does not mean I can have an opinion on this topic? I guess by all means you guys can keep posting and ranting about who said what but I don't have to sit here and try to explain it. Just look through some of the threads on this page and you can quite a bit of venom spewed. Just because I don't like it does not' make me "self-righteous". Two different things entirely.

I never suggested anywhere that you can't have an opinion. It is the fact that you gave an opinion that led me to post a reply to your opinion.

Last edited:
This is a generic reply that lacks substance.

I never suggested anywhere that you can't have an opinion. It is the fact that you gave an opinion that led me to post a reply to your opinion.

Let me explain again. It is nice of you to make your views known to us - that you dislike what goes on here. That said, you aren't one of the folks you are criticizing (you aren't an optometrist), but you (presumably) will be if you move forward with your status as a current pre-opt.

My post was intended to point out that once you do become one of us, because of the somewhat contemptuous tone you displayed in your first post, it is entirely possible you may become one of the very folks who post and rant and spread venom - the very people you criticize now.

You have yet to become an optometrist. Once you become one, maybe you'll be worse than everyone here. I'm not saying you will, but you really don't know.

But why? why do I have to be angry? It seems there is a negative undertone in some of the posts made by optometrists. You are right in the sense that I might be worse than everyone but I know that I will not use a forum as my venting outlet for my own problems.

Who cares about your satisfaction. Profesionals are profesionals. There is no reason to expect them to be gods amongst others.

Yea sometimes OD's say irrational things, but they are speaking the truth from their POV, which might be your POV in the future. You should expect some sort of debate between two minds who are more then educated; simple conclusions are vaguley made, and when they are, its usually due to a very stupid question.

Criticizing OD's will only drive them away from posting valuable information so I suggest you refrain from posting negativity.

Whats the point of this thread anyways? Not like OD's will actually say life is bad for them publicly.

Anyhow, to all the OD's posting in the Optho forum and redirecting it here keep it up. :D

Who cares about my satisfaction because "professionals are professionals"?!

Right…

I went to my dental hygienist the other day only to find out she was on maternity leave. She is without a doubt the best hygienist I know. The girl that was replacing her however, was horrendous. She was rude and furthermore, incompetent as a hygienist. I called the office later that day to share my experience and make clear I was not satisfied with my cleaning. Long story short, the doctor offered to personally clean my teeth. Moral of the story: while the hygienist may be a professional, she didn't exude professionalism and I still had my rights to the level of satisfaction I desired.

Now how does this tie in with these forums? Well, it does in the sort of way that you expect a certain degree of standards to be upheld from doctors. I don't expect them to be deities or perfect and I do expect debates to occur but was expecting it more in a civilized manner instead of name calling and false accusations. As the second poster mentioned, I do take these forums with a grain of salt, but there are some posts here that seem so immature coming from professionals. For example, I open the 3 O's thread and it turns into a debate about entitlement issues. Was it the OP's intention to start this? I don't know, but it ended going down this slippery slope or what about the recent thread where an optometrist mentions how SUNY sucks without a supporting argument for his/her case? It is rubbish like this that does not impress me. That's all.

Last edited:
I think you have a valid point, but you need to tailor your expectations a little. In a perfect world, everybody would come to these forums for the right reasons, but it just ain't the case—and this will hold true no matter what forum you look at, or for that matter, whatever organizations/communities you enter into during life. You might even already have some experiences like this to draw on (e.g., teams, bands, clubs, frats, youth groups, etc.)?

There's a lot of good info here if you know how to use the search bar. It's not worth complaining about the noise. They just don't build forum posts like they used to, I guess.

Last edited:
I think you have a valid point, but you need to tailor your expectations a little. In a perfect world, everybody would come to these forums for the right reasons, but it just ain't the case—and this will hold true no matter what forum you look at, or for that matter, whatever organizations/communities you enter into during life. You might even already have some experiences like this to draw on (e.g., teams, bands, clubs, frats, youth groups, etc.)?

There's a lot of good info here if you know how to use the search bar. It's not worth complaining about the noise. They just don't build forum posts like they used to, I guess.

You are absolutely right. Thank you.