Og kingofBashan

Finaly..something natural
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 19, 2004
Status
What's worse a C or a "WF" ? When we withdraw classes at my university, they either give you a WP or WF. Now I have the option of either withdrawing from a class or staying in and getting a C. I have heard of some med schools factoring the WF into GPA - does any one know which schools, and how they factor this in?

Sabrinne

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 6, 2005
Cleveland, OH
Status
Medical Student
Og kingofBashan said:
What's worse a C or a "WF" ? When we withdraw classes at my university, they either give you a WP or WF. Now I have the option of either withdrawing from a class or staying in and getting a C. I have heard of some med schools factoring the WF into GPA - does any one know which schools, and how they factor this in?
What is the difference between WP and WF? I took a W in my class and it really had no effect on my apps and none of the schools I applied to factored it into my GPA (to my knowledge). So I would take the W if there is no possible way for you to bring the grade up and the C- would really really mess with your GPA.

OP
O

Og kingofBashan

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 19, 2004
Status
Well, if you are passing the class at the time you get WP (passing) or WF if failing. Our school does not give just "W". So if I withdraw, it will be a WF on my transcript.

medic170

American Infidel
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 13, 2001
Visit site
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Og kingofBashan said:
Well, if you are passing the class at the time you get WP (passing) or WF if failing. Our school does not give just "W". So if I withdraw, it will be a WF on my transcript.

If you are getting a "C", then why would you get a WF? C is passing, wouldn't that be a WP?

aumed22

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 19, 2004
Status
I'd stick it out and go with the C. I would think schools would see the WF and red flags would come up, one C won't kill you and hopefully you will have a good explanation.

OP
O

Og kingofBashan

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 19, 2004
Status
medic, the reason it would be a WF is because my current crade is below a C. But I can still pull it up to a C if i want. It's just not fun motivating yourself for a class you know your gona get a C in.

Karl Hungus

Deine kable needz fixing?
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 3, 2005
NYC
Status
Medical Student
Just wondering... if you took the WF, would that be converted into just a "W" on your AMCAS application (i.e. just like an A+ is converted into A)? If forget if schools see our actual grades or if they just see what they were converted into.

Blue Scrub

The Gift & The Curse
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Feb 16, 2005
Status
Dude, the "WF" is just as good as an "F" to the adcoms if they see it. Suck it up the last few weeks and get that "C"....One "C" wont kill you...and hopefully it isn't a BCPM class, but if it is, wouldn't you have to retake it eventually anyway?

MedicineBird

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Nov 5, 2004
Status
WITHOUT A DOUBT go for the C. WF will trigger the same thing as an F in the minds of ADCOMs. The WF just means you bailed out while you were failing. Now if it turns out that you can only hope for a D, then take the WF and try again.

medic170

American Infidel
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 13, 2001
Visit site
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Blue Scrub said:
Dude, the "WF" is just as good as an "F" to the adcoms if they see it. Suck it up the last few weeks and get that "C"....One "C" wont kill you...and hopefully it isn't a BCPM class, but if it is, wouldn't you have to retake it eventually anyway?
I agree, take the C. I had a couple of C's and it never even came up at any school I interviewed at, but I bet a WF would have been more likely to.

LVDoc

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 12, 2005
Status
I didn't bother to read the rest of this thread. I think a WF is a withdrawal, but it is factored into your GPA as an 'F.' Definitely don't want that. Go for the other grade instead.