What's your favorite thing about being a dentist?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

futuremrsDr<3

Reaction score
Curious to hear what inspires others to go to work everyday!
What are your favorite parts?

Please state what specialty/sort of practice(/or even school year) you are in.

Members don't see this ad.

Curious to hear what inspires others to go to work everyday!
What are your favorite parts?

Please state what specialty/sort of practice(/or even school year) you are in.

Do you want the real answer? If the answer is yes, then you probably already know what I have to say.

Edit: I'm being a tease. What brings me to work everyday? Money. My favorite parts? Saying goodbye to the last patient, getting patients out of pain, and appreciative patients.

GP solo practice representin! :)

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
Do you want the real answer? If the answer is yes, then you probably already know what I have to say.

Edit: I'm being a tease. What brings me to work everyday? Money. My favorite parts? Saying goodbye to the last patient, getting patients out of pain, and appreciative patients.

GP solo practice representin! :)

Hehehe .. that's awesome!
I've got a few gap years, but just after some awesome shadowing have been trying to reassess a bit.
The Dr I intern with is a new mom so I am feeling for her, also a GP solo practice owner! So I know she's been taking a lot easier cases as well as hiring IN traveling dentists more than usual.

What are your bread and butter procedures? Do you refer out a lot?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hehehe .. that's awesome!
I've got a few gap years, but just after some awesome shadowing have been trying to reassess a bit.
The Dr I intern with is a new mom so I am feeling for her, also a GP solo practice owner! So I know she's been taking a lot easier cases as well as hiring IN traveling dentists more than usual.

What are your bread and butter procedures? Do you refer out a lot?

Right now, it's still single visit RCTBUCrn, but we've been doing a lot of single visit bridges and implants as well. I refer a lot of ortho out, more endo lately just because the type of patients coming in, time constraints, and risk v. reward of some of those endos, and a ton of impacted 3rds. I also refer dentures, full arch prosthesis cases, and full mouth reconstruction.

Reactions: 1 users
I have never come home from work hot, dirty and dog tired.

Reactions: 1 users
What I like most about dentistry is getting to treat patients from start to finish. It's rewarding to interpret imaging, do physical exams, and render treatment.

Reactions: 1 user

Because dentistry is physically an easy job.

I paid for college by working 10-12 hour days in a Portland Cement plant. That job required working around kilns that produced extreme heat and dust. After a day working in the cement plant I was soaked in sweat and covered in cement dust.

I was well paid for my efforts but it was hard and dirty work. (Most of my fellow dentists could not and/or would not have the desire or ability to do it.)

I repeat... I have never come home from work hot, dirty and dog tired.

Last edited:
Because dentistry is physically an easy job.

I paid for college by working 10-12 hour days in a Portland Cement plant. That job required working around kilns that produced extreme heat and dust. After a day working in the cement plant I was soaked in sweat and covered in cement dust.

I was well paid for my efforts but it was hard and dirty work. (Most of my fellow dentists could not and/or would not have the desire or ability to do it.)

I repeat... I have never come home from work hot, dirty and dog tired.

Haha, I wish I had your stamina. It's physically exhausting for me. I'm sweaty, dehydrated, hungry, and tired when I'm done, but my brain is still fully functional till about 2-4am