what's your lowest grade (in college)?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
My lowest grade is the B I got in ecology. The ecology class at my school is infamous for being ridiculous because we have a 72 year old crotchety professor and he's the only prof. that teaches it and he just loves giving B's and C's to pre-professional students. Blech!!


Wow...I've taken three ecology courses at my school so far (Intro to Environmental Science, Field Lab in Ecology, and Intro to Ecology) and I've had the same professor for each one, and she's the easiest professor ever. Sort of makes up for the ickiness that was my biochem professor last semester.

Who, like my first semester orgo professor and genetics professor, gave me a B. I haven't gotten the rest of my fall grades yet, but hopefully, the rest of them will be higher. I do best when I think a class is hard. It doesn't matter if it is or isn't; I have to think it's hard to actually try. Which is sad, because genetics would have been really easy if I had actually studied. Hooray for senioritis!
 
Wow...I've taken three ecology courses at my school so far (Intro to Environmental Science, Field Lab in Ecology, and Intro to Ecology) and I've had the same professor for each one, and she's the easiest professor ever.

That's awesome, I'm jealous!! hehe. Yeah, I had gone into ecology thinking "Oh, I've got this, I want to be a vet!" haha but the way our professor was, he told these very long and verbose stories about things like the fitness of lizards doing pushups (a real story of his, I kid you not) and then his tests were the really obscure facts from the stories he had told us in class. And his tests were crazy. Each question would be 5 sentences long so that when you got to the end, you'd forgotten what the question even was. And on one test he gave us 70 multiple choice questions and he made it so that the answer to 50 of the 70 questions was "E", because, as he told us later "Students never think there should be that many E's on a test, so they'll second guess themselves after 4 questions on my test." As he laughed at us all....

As you can tell, he kinda got under my skin haha. Oh well, one B never hurt anybody!
 
I know I'm lucky because her tests were so easy, but even if they were hard, they were still some of the best classes I've ever taken, especially Field Lab in Ecology. Somehow, you wouldn't think that a class that made you get up at 7 AM on a Saturday to go hiking in the freezing cold would be that great, but it really was.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
The ecology class at my school is infamous for being ridiculous because we have a 72 year old crotchety professor and he's the only prof. that teaches it and he just loves giving B's and C's to pre-professional students. Blech!!

Do you go to University of North Texas? That sounds exactly like our ecology professor.
 
second semester Physical Chemistry. Woo! Honk if you passed P-Chem!

Ok, so I'm way late on this response, but I love that there are other chem dorks out there!!! Pchem was awful. But just last week I saw a car on campus with a bumper sticker saying 'I survived Pchem.' I love it. No one really understands why that would be a worthy statement until they've been through it. I may name my next cat Schrodinger. Unless it causes too much psychological pain to think about the man.
 
I may name my next cat Schrodinger. Unless it causes too much psychological pain to think about the man.

No joke...I actually have a physics/chem double major friend who has a cat named Schrodinger. He also has one named Proton. The thing that gets me every time is that he named Schrodinger in high school...apparently I wasn't as up on my science as he was at that age because I had noooo idea who Schrodinger was until the joys of PChem 🙂
 
My lowest grade was a D in Ochem 1. I retook the class during the summer and made an A, and the class only lasted 6 weeks! Goes to show you what a difference a change in professors makes. My next lowest grades were a C+ in ochem 2 and physics 2.
 
My lowest grade was a C (and I have gotten more than one). My interviewers asked me what I thought was weak in my application and thus I said grades. They both looked at me like I was crazy. My GPA was not that high (3.46 and I was applying for out of state admission so the average is higher), but they definately took into account that I went to a 'most competitive,' school, and highly valued research and experience. I was offered admission right after my interview, so I'm living proof that a few lower grades will not prevent you from being a vet!!!
 
That's great to hear! I have heard from various sources that vet schools do not take undergraduate university into consideration at all, and that always made me so nervous! The pre-health crowd at my school was a force to be reckoned with. :0) It was almost impossible to get lots of A's unless you had no other life besides school!
 
To add to this conversation, I just had my first interview and the interviewers didn't ask me about grades or about undergrad academics at all. My undergrad GPA was very much less than stellar with a number of crappo grades. However, I have taken courses since undergrad and did a masters, all of which have excellent grades. It's been a bunch of years since undergrad for me and I've done different things since then, so we just talked about that. It left me with the impression that they weren't concerned about my undergrad academic record.

Just one more vote out there that it's not necessarily the end all be all.
 
Lowest grade: C+ in organic chem.

Ewww, I hated that class!

Now I'm auditing it (about 4 years after that C+), and find it's really interesting. Amazing what a few years does to a person's brain!
 
Ok, so I'm way late on this response, but I love that there are other chem dorks out there!!!

Oh trust me, there are lots of us! During OChem there was a group of us that always studied together and before every quiz/test one of the guys would "bless" us all, saying "Ethyl, Methyl, Ether....AAAAAmine". Ah, good times...
 
I got a D in Organic II the first time around and a B the second time around. First time around was at an enormous state college with 400 people in the class. Just not a good learning environment for me. I should've dropped it but didn't know any better ....
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I've been lurking around the forum for a few days to see if my question has been asked, and I suppose it will do the lease damage in this thread if it has already been addressed but..

Has anyone gotten in with anything lower than a C on pre-reqs (aside from MN who accepts C-)? I'm just curious how tough vet schools are on their grading policies.
 
Most schools specify that all pre-reqs have to be passed with a C/C- or better. Or are you asking if the ones with that requirement are willing to let it slide (doubtful, given the number of applicants they all receive)?
 
I've been lurking around the forum for a few days to see if my question has been asked, and I suppose it will do the lease damage in this thread if it has already been addressed but..

Has anyone gotten in with anything lower than a C on pre-reqs (aside from MN who accepts C-)? I'm just curious how tough vet schools are on their grading policies.

yes, I got in at Tennessee with a C- in organic 2. They never even brought it up, but they did specify C on their admissions page. From what I understand, certain schools can be lenient on grades if you've shown improvement since then or if other parts of your application are strong enough.
 
Most schools specify that all pre-reqs have to be passed with a C/C- or better. Or are you asking if the ones with that requirement are willing to let it slide (doubtful, given the number of applicants they all receive)?


The latter.

Sorry if that wasn't clear, I thought by mentioning that Minnesota accepts C-'s it would show I am aware of each school's requirements.
 
yes, I got in at Tennessee with a C- in organic 2. They never even brought it up, but they did specify C on their admissions page. From what I understand, certain schools can be lenient on grades if you've shown improvement since then or if other parts of your application are strong enough.

That's great to know, thanks!

Too bad it's in Tennessee, no offense to your preference, but I think the only reason I could imagine living there would be for the body farm. Although, if vet school doesn't work out, medicolegal entomology, here I come.
 
That's great to know, thanks!

Too bad it's in Tennessee, no offense to your preference, but I think the only reason I could imagine living there would be for the body farm. Although, if vet school doesn't work out, medicolegal entomology, here I come.

If you like wildlife/exotics, its the place to be. But I understand that not everybody likes the things that I do.
 
If you like wildlife/exotics, its the place to be. But I understand that not everybody likes the things that I do.

It's more the location than anything. I'm not much of a southern gal, too many anti-Castros and bible belts for my taste, haha. I've heard good things about the school though, the director of admissions here in Minnesota actually recommended the school to me when I visited him last week.
 
Approx 8-10 yrs ago:
C's in both Org I and Physics II
D in Org II

Getting ready for round 2 of Org Chem this summer and I can't wait to have a second chance!
 
I got an F in a pre-calculus math course which I don't even need. I was eligible to write a supplementary exam to pass it, but I was told about it later than most of the students and I wasn't about to drop all of my new subjects and run around trying to get someone to teach me the math that the professor was incapable of making me understand. Half of the class ended up failing or dropping out, and the last midterm that they had, my friend had the highest mark which was a 52. That class was a nightmare. I am in stats now and am liking it a whole lot better.
 
C in O Chem 2 :barf:
I seriously hated that class. I wish I would have taken the series at a community college, where there would have been <20 people in the class, instead of 300. Trying to get individual help from the prof was a nightmare. I think I would have done a lot better.
 
D- in calc because I slept thru a midterm exam. Oops. Considered retaking it, but did all the math by hand and even an A would have only raised my GPA by about .01 so I decided it was worth it. Less than stellar GPA's for the win!!!
 
C...in Physics 1... 6 years ago! Strangely enough I'm getting an A in
Physics II...

I'd take O-chem over physics any day (even with a cheat sheet for physics)!
 
I'd take O-chem over physics any day (even with a cheat sheet for physics)!


I totally agree!! I have been putting off taking the 3rd quarter of physics because I hate it so much and my IS school doesn't require it...but of course, some of the other schools I am still in the running for require it.

BTW, my lowest grade was in Calc II my senior year of high school during running start...the one and only C+ on my transcript!
 
I haven't even started taking physics yet, and it already scares me.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad