Anyway, in all honesty, I'll own up: I've done the first year of med school (DO) hated it, just really couldn't stand it (was it the school, which was a crap hole start up DO school - a bad idea? or just med school? who knows?). Decided that at my age (mid 30's) that finishing training at 40 just really didn't seem all that great, what with the $250,000 in debt all to go into primary care (hate surgery). My fiance is an MD (intern) and wants to do a 7 year residency, so it was going to be a juggling act to have kids and try to finish training and pay back our combined debt of $500,000. So, being that I literally hated every single minute of med school leaving was not that hard of a decision. I applied to PA school and got accepted to several great places. I have now finished 2 semesters (have one more didactic semester left) and so can comment with some intelligence about the level of difficulty of PA vs. med school.
here's the deal: it literally is apples and oranges.
I wish I could tell you it was the same, but it's just not. It's not. Ity's not even close to the same. We take basically the same classes, but, thank god, they wipe out the first year except for anatomy and phys. And, let's all just be honest: embryo is a big bunch of bullsht. I don't care that they use it in ENT or whatever. The don't remember that crap from FIRST YEAR. They RE-learn it in residency or whatever. Sonic hedgehog is useful for esentially NOTHING and everyone knows it. Nothing in first year is useful, which is why you learn it in the first year, because obviously you're going to forget it. I mean, yes, anatomy is certainly necessary in surgery, but you RE-learn it in residency, the stuff you operate on. Most FPs probably don't remember all the innervations of the sacral plexus or whatever off the top of their heads. You get my point. Anyway, so in the second semester we get a watered down second year. Path, pharm, clinical skills, stuff like that. We spent A LOT of time doing physical exam and writing SOAP notes, a lot more than we did in med school. Everything is very clinically oriented, very nuts and bolts. The tests are big picture, the diseases are big picture, the complaints are the most common, they don't test on minuita crap because there isn't the time to learn that kind of detail. We don't use Robbins, we use the CMDT. There isn't time to read Robbins. We got through most systems in a semester. We'll do "primary care" (peds, ob/gyn, geriatrics), suturing, procedures, starting IVs, more SOAP notes, more behavioral medicine, more pharm (a year of pharm) next semester.
Bottom line: In med school you pull all nighters and study 30, 40+ hours for a test and feel like it isn't nearly enough. In PA school (me, personally) I would study 3-4 hours, maybe 5 hours the day or two before and I never made lower than an 85 on any test. I pulled a 3.5 GPA this semster and I pretty much never sweated it. Ever. Med school sucked ass. I made B's and C's and worked and worked and worked (and so did all my friends) in med school and it was crap. 7 people failed anatomy out of 76 my first year. The next year 8 people failed pharm in my med school class. I'm glad to be out from under that stress.
Do PAs know as much as doctors when they graduate? They do not. PAs could NOT pass Step I. To say that is patently absurd. Step II, maybe. Step III, I don't know. Step I is a test based in the basic sciences, of which PA school is decidedly light. There is no way you could pass it, based strictly on the PA school cirriculum. If you had a great science background or studied on your own, that would be different. Do PAs have more clinical knowledge? They probably do. Most PAs have experience coming into the program, are older and generally more seasoned. Plus, we're geared toward the clinical. Now, when a physician is done with residency all bets are off. At that point, a doctor knows decidedly more than a PA with a comprable number of years working under their belt.
A PA is not meant to usurp a physician, that was never to be the point. My dad is an MD internist and my fiance is an MD. I have a tremendous amount of respect for what doctors have to go through to complete their training. As I write this, my fiance has to go work in the ICU on Christmas morning at 6am and doesn't get off until 9pm. At the same token, I'm so glad I choose not to go down that road because life as a doc sucks in so many ways. I'm content not to have "the final say" or be an "assistant" or whatever because I realized that medicine is a job that wasn't ever going to love me back. At the end of the day, all that really matters is your family and it's hard to have one if you spend 100+ hours in the hospital.
I hope that everyone will get over themselves and realize that we all have a place in medicine. Docs stand to make money off of hiring PAs, which is why we're around and why docs have supported the growth of the profession. Without docs PAs couldn't exist. And I hope that med students and doctors realize that PAs aren't "glorified nurses" (like, **** you, dude. I was almost one of your collegues, dipsht). I'm getting a master's degree that will take 2.5 years to get with over 1000 clinical hours (plus the 4 years I've spent working in the health care field) and I know quite a bit about primary care and the management of basic complaints. As a specialize, I expect to know more, just as you all will. We'll all be life long learners, as ghey as that term is.