What's your raise?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

xiphoid2010

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So my wife comes home, happily reported that she just got a 2.7% annual raise and it was almost the max anyone got at her place. Awesome honey! Then I looked up the CPI, found it has increased by 2.9% in the last 12 months, so she effectively had 0.2% pay cut, now she's not feeling so awesome. oops... :oops: Knowledge is power but ignorance is bliss. :laugh:

So if you don't mind sharing, what % annual raises for pharmacists out there these days?

Members don't see this ad.

bout tree fiddy. but yeah that's why you have to save and invest, raises barely keep up with cost of living and inflation. hell sometimes CPI isn't even the best measure.

Members don't see this ad :)
So my wife comes home, happily reported that she just got a 2.7% annual raise and it was almost the max anyone got at her place. Awesome honey! Then I looked up the CPI, found it has increased by 2.9% in the last 12 months, so she effectively had 0.2% pay cut, now she's not feeling so awesome. oops... :oops: Knowledge is power but ignorance is bliss. :laugh:

So if you don't mind sharing, what % annual raises for pharmacists out there these days?
You sound like a male chauvinist, jerk, ***hole, etc. It's a well-known problem that pharmacist raises have been pitiful. Go and find something else to dwell on. :rolleyes:

You sound like a male chauvinist, jerk, ***hole, etc. It's a well-known problem that pharmacist raises have been pitiful. Go and find something else to dwell on. :rolleyes:

Do we even speak the same English language? :rolleyes: Who knows, mine might come in even lower. Comparing raise to CPI is logical, not sexist.

Do we even speak the same English language? :rolleyes: Who knows, mine might come in even lower. Comparing raise to CPI is logical, not sexist.
You're sexist because while your wife works you should be staying at home tending to the household, not this whole DOP thing you do. Men in the workplace, what is this 1903?!

Obviously not. Let's turn it around and squash that male ego instead...
So my husband comes home, happily reported that he just got a 2.7% annual raise and it was almost the max anyone got at his place. Awesome honey! Then I looked up the CPI, found it has increased by 2.9% in the last 12 months, so he effectively had 0.2% pay cut, now he's not feeling so awesome. oops... :oops: Knowledge is power but ignorance is bliss. :laugh:

Number 1, you made your wife look like an ignorant idiot. Number 2, you make her seem foolish for being excited about her raise. Number 3, you act as though she should be happy being ignorant.

Fail, fail, fail.

Probably $1.5-2/hour more, suffice to say, crap...

aaaw PharmDstudent, you need a hug? :love:

Let's dissect
So my wife comes home, happily reported that she just got a 2.7% annual raise and it was almost the max anyone got at her place. Awesome honey!

Note I was happy for her.

Then I looked up the CPI, found it has increased by 2.9% in the last 12 months, so she effectively had 0.2% pay cut,
Fact, and I didn't know either until I looked it up. Curiosity and logic rains on the parade.

now she's not feeling so awesome.
Result of knowing.

oops... :oops: Knowledge is power but ignorance is bliss. :laugh:
Conclusion. In hinde sight maybe it would've been better not knowing.

But she's already over it, we just got back from Mongolian BBQ and had a good time. I think you need to retune that radar and not see sexism every where. Nothing wrong with some feminism but don't let it run off either.

Don't know why some people feel so strongly about this...

3% Walgreens.

Members don't see this ad :)
Let's dissect

Note I was happy for her.

Fact, and I didn't know either until I looked it up. Curiosity and logic rains on the parade.

Result of knowing.

Conclusion. In hinde sight maybe it would've been better not knowing.

But she's already over it, we just got back from Mongolian BBQ and had a good time. I think you need to retune that radar and not see sexism every where. Nothing wrong with some feminism but don't let it run off either.
Now you're telling me what to do? Seriously?!
It was a sexist post. Plain and simple.

Ok, mind reader, If you say so the it must be. Moving on.

I got a 5% raise last week. But I'm just a tech.

Sent from my PC36100

I know you weren't giving your wife a hard time and just stating a fact, but yea, that 2.9% raise helps... if she hadn't gotten it, you'd be in a bit of a deeper hole b/c of the CPI. So thank goodness for that raise!

I'm happy to have a job that I like. Two job offers...took the one that pays $20K less. So someone do the math for me?

I know you weren't giving your wife a hard time and just stating a fact, but yea, that 2.9% raise helps... if she hadn't gotten it, you'd be in a bit of a deeper hole b/c of the CPI. So thank goodness for that raise!

Thanks. It's just disappointing for her to realized that an year of work experience did not translate into any increase in purchasing power, in fact a slight drop.

Times are hard, companies are tight on money and many are going out of business. But it remains to be seen whether the relatively low raises posted will pick up with economic recovery or stay pressured by market saturation.

I'm happy to have a job that I like. Two job offers...took the one that pays $20K less. So someone do the math for me?

Tough call I'm sure. It's not really fair to compare 2 different kinds of jobs, especially when there is a clear difference in preference.

But, if annual raise matches CPI, the income difference in today's dollar over a 30 years career is $600K. If raise is CPI + 1%, then the difference is $700K.

Wow, that's a bit of an overreaction there. Those personal attacks on him are uncalled for.

Wow, that's a bit of an overreaction there. Those personal attacks on him are uncalled for.
Really? Well I'm not the only one who thinks what he says is ridiculous.
You and I are both pompous and obnoxious. The difference is I know I am. And when I spew crap, I tried to be educational and I typically know what Im talking about. You just got this little Dop Gig 2 months ago. You have ways to go.

It's ongoing here. :rolleyes:

You're sexist because while your wife works you should be staying at home tending to the household, not this whole DOP thing you do. Men in the workplace, what is this 1903?!

I think you are right, sleeping on the sofa so wife and baby can have the bed clearly isn't enough to be a non-male chauvinist. I need quit this job and start scrubbing the kitchen floor right away.

I think you are right, sleeping on the sofa so wife and baby can have the bed clearly isn't enough to be a non-male chauvinist. I need quit this job and start scrubbing the kitchen floor right away.

you can redeem yourself by scrubbing my floor too. get busy. :smuggrin:

Obviously not. Let's turn it around and squash that male ego instead...
Number 1, you made your wife look like an ignorant idiot. Number 2, you make her seem foolish for being excited about her raise. Number 3, you act as though she should be happy being ignorant.

Fail, fail, fail.

this reaction reminds me of a girl at work who flipped when another stated that fixing cars is a "mans job".

These are the kind of women I steer away from like the bubonic plague.

Is this how professionals present themselves? I understand how PharmD may have taken the OPs statement, but remember this is an internet forum and none of us can really know his intention. For argument sake though, had the gender roles been reversed, would people have found the situation sexist? Be that as it may, the personal attacks on PharmD for stating her opinion are way out of line.

Never discuss income or anything associated with it with friends or family.

If they ask, just say "we do ok.."

Don't look at hourly rate or annual salary. Instead look at the total compensation package when accepting a position.

Don't sacrifice lifestyle and family for a couple of dollars per hour difference.

I have pharmacist buddies who always throw in "I'm going to make $.... this year..not bad huh?..." I always wonder why they feel the need to tell me that... I just respond "nice...dood."

this reaction reminds me of a girl at work who flipped when another stated that fixing cars is a "mans job".

These are the kind of women I steer away from like the bubonic plague.
It's the ignorance is bliss crap that threw me. Plenty of women, including myself, are breadwinners and this kind of talk is garbage.

If my husband went behind me and tried to undermine my worth and accomplishment by looking up some worthless stat to negate my raise, I'd be angry. She works too hard and makes way too much money to be treated like that!

bout tree fiddy. but yeah that's why you have to save and invest, raises barely keep up with cost of living and inflation. hell sometimes CPI isn't even the best measure.

mirin

Never discuss income or anything associated with it with friends or family.

If they ask, just say "we do ok.."

Don't look at hourly rate or annual salary. Instead look at the total compensation package when accepting a position.

Don't sacrifice lifestyle and family for a couple of dollars per hour difference.

I have pharmacist buddies who always throw in "I'm going to make $.... this year..not bad huh?..." I always wonder why they feel the need to tell me that... I just respond "nice...dood."

Right on.

Pharmacists have a way about talking about salary like its the national news.

It actually got me in trouble on rotations once. A nurse didn't appreciate me talking about salary.

The package is important, vacations, health insurance, pension v. 401k can add up.

I got a goose egg this year...but that's okay- the only raises this year went to individuals advancing an academic rank. I won't dwell on it during any of my 39 days of PTO :)

Wasn't there a recent study that showed salary ceased to be a contributing factor to happiness once the salary exceeded $75k?

Wasn't there a recent study that showed salary ceased to be a contributing factor to happiness once the salary exceeded $75k?
Maslow would agree, but I'm not sure about that cutoff. Sure it's a comfortable living past that point, but your lifestyle changes dramatically from $75k to $1M whereas $1M to 50M doesn't seem like as big of a difference.

At the same time, getting a raise is not just the extra few bucks, but about the validation too. In a sense you feel like you worked hard and earned it, so not getting one could show that your work is not appreciated by the higher-ups.

0.9% raise at Walgreens.

This thread is funny. I dont think the OP meant to be sexist at all. If we are discussing raises and all, to let you all know, because of the changes in laws in florida, we are getting ready to take a 25% paycut, my partner and I. Im not worried because my cost of living is low, we have no debt in the business, and my only debt is my home. We just got audited by a nasty company for a major PBM who is looking to chargeback $37,500. We are getting audited again by another PBM soon and 2 other PBM's just finished their audits for a chargeback of $4000. So to all griping about their raise, be grateful you have a job, and a nice size paycheck weekly. Im not complaining about my situation, because it comes with the territory, but come on, a raise is a raise. Be happy and merry :)

40% increase in total compensation. Had to be worthwhile for me to pack up and move.

:mad: but I'm working 50% harder.. I think. So in essence, I think I took a cut?

Hmmmmm...are you happy though?? If you are, then happiness is worth more than the 50% you are working harder so, if you add the potential happiness+ how happy you are now+the happiness you had at your previous job + 40% increase in total compensation, you may be looking at:

40% + (3)happiness > 50% increase in work, therefore you have achieved a much greater increase in compensation. If not, then you are in the same boat as the rest of us. :D

I haven't received my raise for this year yet, but my raise last year was 3%.

I'm always happy. I love what I do. Of course I really loved what I did before. It by far was the best pharmacy job I could dream of. Previous employer did put golden handcuffs on me which made it very difficult to leave.... I struggled with the decision. I also love Texas and hate California... though there's no comparison in outdoor beauty and activities, CA gov't is just plain inefficient and dumb. I hate it.

My previous employer still dangles a carrot in front of me...and I still stay in touch with them every few weeks. I meet with my old boss next month...just for a quick dinner.

But in the end, I come home everynight and I don't have to travel. And that's what my kids need. I miss my old job dearly... and my old colleagues. But until my kids are out of the house, I made a committment to stay home. Yes, the pay and benefit package are unrivaled. But my professional creativity was prolific with my previous job. I'll go back once my kids are grown....

But for now...I'm a everyday joe shmuck DOP taking care of knick knack demands of everyday hospital pharmacy operation.

I'm always happy. I love what I do. Of course I really loved what I did before. It by far was the best pharmacy job I could dream of. Previous employer did put golden handcuffs on me which made it very difficult to leave.... I struggled with the decision. I also love Texas and hate California... though there's no comparison in outdoor beauty and activities, CA gov't is just plain inefficient and dumb. I hate it.

My previous employer still dangles a carrot in front of me...and I still stay in touch with them every few weeks. I meet with my old boss next month...just for a quick dinner.

But in the end, I come home everynight and I don't have to travel. And that's what my kids need. I miss my old job dearly... and my old colleagues. But until my kids are out of the house, I made a committment to stay home. Yes, the pay and benefit package are unrivaled. But my professional creativity was prolific with my previous job. I'll go back once my kids are grown....

But for now...I'm a everyday joe shmuck DOP taking care of knick knack demands of everyday hospital pharmacy operation.

:thumbup:

I'm actually surprised to see all the raises, ESP in retail, I would have thought that few peoplevwould get them, but it looks like it's pretty much across the board.

I'm actually surprised to see all the raises, ESP in retail, I would have thought that few peoplevwould get them, but it looks like it's pretty much across the board.

Agreed. I thought pharmacists capped out relatively quickly, obviously I thought wrong.