What's your school's grading system?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

KingSaul

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Okay, I dont know if its only my school or state but we have "different" grading system. Our grading system is as follows:
A:100-90
B:89-80
C:79-70
ETC

There is no A-,B+,B-, etc. Is it like this in your school?

I asked my roomate(senior) this Spring semester(im was freshman) he said that it was changed to the present one but when he was in school 2-3 years ago it was A-,B+/-,C+/-

Members don't see this ad.

My school does A (4),A- (3.7),B+ (3.3), B(3),B- (2.7), etc.
However, a lot of the professors at my school have their own scale. I have had professors grade with and without -/+, even some with + but no -

Plus they have their own grading scales. A lot of upper division science classes are 86-100 A/A-, 76-85 B+/-, etc.
My upper division physics class had the largest curved scale I have ever seen, with 19-39 being a C lol
Many schools differ with their grading scales.

Most classes here are 94-100 for A, 90-93.99 for A-, and so on. Seems common in my area of the Midwest

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
My school does A (4),A- (3.7),B+ (3.3), B(3),B- (2.7), etc.
However, a lot of the professors at my school have their own scale. I have had professors grade with and without -/+, even some with + but no -

Plus they have their own grading scales. A lot of upper division science classes are 86-100 A/A-, 76-85 B+/-, etc.
My upper division physics class had the largest curved scale I have ever seen, with 19-39 being a C lol
Many schools differ with their grading scales.

If you want to teach quantum mechanics a certain way, it's very easy to make the course structured so that a 50%/40%+ is an A and such. Of course, this is simply trying to make effort and comprehension comparable to other courses in undergraduate education. It boils down to the fact that these things are really, really challenging material that most people don't understand. Feynman said "But after people read the paper a lot of people understood the theory of relativity in some way or other, certainly more than twelve. On the other hand, I think I can safely say that nobody understands quantum mechanics. So do not take the lecture too seriously, feeling that you really have to understand in terms of some model what I am going to describe, but just relax and enjoy it". The amount of foundation material required with zero holes in previous understanding in order to achieve 90% mastery of questions is simply irreconcilable with a collegiate level comprehension and a social expectation that a D or below means complete failure and punishment for career prospects. Without these curves, hardly anyone would dare take these courses.

If you want to teach quantum mechanics a certain way, it's very easy to make the course structured so that a 50%/40%+ is an A and such. Of course, this is simply trying to make effort and comprehension comparable to other courses in undergraduate education. It boils down to the fact that these things are really, really challenging material that most people don't understand. Feynman said "But after people read the paper a lot of people understood the theory of relativity in some way or other, certainly more than twelve. On the other hand, I think I can safely say that nobody understands quantum mechanics. So do not take the lecture too seriously, feeling that you really have to understand in terms of some model what I am going to describe, but just relax and enjoy it". The amount of foundation material required with zero holes in previous understanding in order to achieve 90% mastery of questions is simply irreconcilable with a collegiate level comprehension and a social expectation that a D or below means complete failure and punishment for career prospects. Without these curves, hardly anyone would dare take these courses.

I actually did great in my quantum mechanics class. It was the most entertaining and in my opinion, easiest upper division I took for physics. Got an A both quarters. There wasn't really a curve for the class, 86% or higher was an A. I believe the average for that class was in the low 70's.
The one class with the largest curve (the 19-39% being a C) was physical mechanics. The average in the class was a 30% I believe.

I actually did great in my quantum mechanics class. It was the most entertaining and in my opinion, easiest upper division I took for physics. Got an A both quarters. There wasn't really a curve for the class, 86% or higher was an A. I believe the average for that class was in the low 70's.
The one class with the largest curve (the 19-39% being a C) was physical mechanics. The average in the class was a 30% I believe.

It all depends on how the professor chooses to teach the course.

It all depends on how the professor chooses to teach the course.
100% agree. Greatest quantum mechanics professor (he actually just got an offer to teach at a better school with a huge pay increase, so thankfully I had his class before he left), but the WORST mechanics professor.

I could of swore the more the professor liked you the higher the grade....
I think I'm starting to realize where I went wrong :dead:

Reactions: 1 users
I could of swore the more the professor liked you the higher the grade....
I think I'm starting to realize where I went wrong :dead:
I have actually seen this first hand. My mathematical physics professor loved me and 2 of my friends, and we all got A's or B's on the tests, but my other friend, who had the exact same answers as us on the tests always got knocked down almost 2 letter grades because the professor didn't like him.

Sent from my A0001 using SDN mobile

I have actually seen this first hand. My mathematical physics professor loved me and 2 of my friends, and we all got A's or B's on the tests, but my other friend, who had the exact same answers as us on the tests always got knocked down almost 2 letter grades because the professor didn't like him.

Sent from my A0001 using SDN mobile
I knew it!

We have +/- here in the Northeast
Most classes are something like
93-100 A,90-93 A-,87-89 B+
Etc and anything below a 60 is an F
My orgo class was something like this ( there was extra credit but no scale)
95-100 A, 90-94 A- ,85-90 B+,80-84 B,75-79 B-
So that eventually a 60-65 is a C-, not a D-, and anything above a 55 is passing.
I know that calc based physics is 80 and above for an A and 69 and above for a B.
Your system is a broad scale, I know they use that down south.

Professor dependent.

I had a freshman Chem where 88 was an A
Organic, the professor was a huge curver and 88 was an A for Orgo 1 and 84 IIRC for Orgo 2.
^^There still weren't many A's.
I had Biology 300 an an A there was 88.

Professor dependent.

I had a freshman Chem where 88 was an A
Organic, the professor was a huge curver and 88 was an A for Orgo 1 and 84 IIRC for Orgo 2.
^^There still weren't many A's.
I had Biology 300 an an A there was 88.

But honestly all of our teachers use the A,B,C grades no A-,B+/-,C+/-

I asked my advisor and she said its A,B,C its normal

We have +/- here in the Northeast
Most classes are something like
93-100 A,90-93 A-,87-89 B+
Etc and anything below a 60 is an F
My orgo class was something like this ( there was extra credit but no scale)
95-100 A, 90-94 A- ,85-90 B+,80-84 B,75-79 B-
So that eventually a 60-65 is a C-, not a D-, and anything above a 55 is passing.
I know that calc based physics is 80 and above for an A and 69 and above for a B.
Your system is a broad scale, I know they use that down south.

Yup I guess its the states thing or something

I find it sometimes good to just get a flat A on a class but when i bust ass on a class and get an 87 or 88 and get a flat B I wish we had the B+/-....

I find it sometimes good to just get a flat A on a class but when i bust ass on a class and get an 87 or 88 and get a flat B I wish we had the B+/-....
Yeah but when you get that minus it ruins everything. When you get straight A's, but one happens to be an A-, you no longer have a 4.0, you get something around a 3.9. Or if you get a B-, now you have a 2.7 for the class, and that can REALLY hurt your gpa sometimes

I'm really glad my school graded the way it did. Anything 90 or above was an A. Everything else was either a plus grade or B/C/D. No minus grades. Professors could adjust the grading scale but usually didn't unless it was in the students favor for chem/phys classes. So you could get a 90 in every single class and still have a 4.0. This also means that a B+ counts as a 3.5 rather than a 3.3.

I'm really glad my school graded the way it did. Anything 90 or above was an A. Everything else was either a plus grade or B/C/D. No minus grades. Professors could adjust the grading scale but usually didn't unless it was in the students favor for chem/phys classes. So you could get a 90 in every single class and still have a 4.0. This also means that a B+ counts as a 3.5 rather than a 3.3.

Plz PM me your school. I'm graduated but I think it's time I got my second bachelors....

Reactions: 1 users
Plz PM me your school. I'm graduated but I think it's time I got my second bachelors....

Hahaha:laugh: I'd rather not give out the name but its a state school in the south.

Status
Not open for further replies.