MedApp2003

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jul 30, 2002
Visit site
Status (Visible)
If asked your strengths and weaknesses in an interview, what are you guys saying for your weakness? I am not sure how to answer this. I can definitely think of some, but not sure I want to share those with an interviewer.

Tweetie_bird

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Nov 20, 2001
Visit site
Status (Visible)
I am a people pleaser. And that's my weakness. Oprah calls it "disease to please." :( Although you would THINK that' s a strength, it gets really tiring at the end of the day if all you are doing is moderate people in your REAL life.

I mean, just imagine...it's like SDN in real life. i am constantly trying to mediate arguements or situations, trying to make sure others around me are happy. It's all well and good, until I realize that I can't make everybody around me happy. Then I blame it on myself and internalize it. It's gotten me into trouble before, and I know it's going to get me into trouble later in life unless I change that about myself. It's tiring.....but I can't seem to stop it.

About the Ads
C

CyclinE

but i think it's good to be a people pleaser, except when u have too many people to please & not enough time to do it.

isidella

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
May 23, 2002
Visit site
Status (Visible)
My weakness is that I am a workaholic. I love what I do so much, other people think I am wierd. Most of the time, I would rather read a journal article than go out and party. Just a nerd at heart, I guess.:love:

Ripley

Dr. Wannabe
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Feb 17, 2002
NY
Visit site
Status (Visible)
chocolate mousse cake:love: :love: :love:

i tend to lack focus and it gets hard to study sometimes as i am distracted so easily. (not that i would ever admit this)

hokiedoc

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Aug 8, 2002
Visit site
Status (Visible)
I said my weakness was carrying too much about what other people think. Kind of relates to trying to please everyone.

FutureM.D.

Psychology major
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jun 21, 2002
Florida,USA
Visit site
Status (Visible)
Originally posted by hokiedoc
I said my weakness was carrying too much about what other people think. Kind of relates to trying to please everyone.

Same here. and I laugh too much too. It can get you in trouble sometimes....he, he, he.

CD

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 10, 2002
Visit site
Status (Visible)
I tend to be single focused....to the exclusion of everything else. Which is great for the educational system, but not so great for real life! It's one of those things I work on everyday!

PrincessCKNY

Crown Royal Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 10, 2002
Philly
Visit site
Status (Visible)
I am way too anal/perfectionistic for my own good. I tend to double and triple check things and people have told me that I think I am perfect. Thus, I get very angry with myself whenever I make a mistake. Another weakness is that I internalize my stress without an appropriate way to let it out. I have been trying to work on those weaknesses for years now.

DW

Fix me some sandwiches
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jun 9, 2002
A stone's throw from Central Park
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
.....girls, girls, girls,
girls i do adore.......

;)

seriously, i'm too much of a team player at times. try to help out others and consequently end up straining my own responsbilities.

About the Ads

chopsuey

miss independent
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jun 13, 2002
good question.... ;)
Visit site
Status (Visible)
i talk too much and too fast (though i'm not sure if you guys could possibly have sensed that...;))... i think it makes me sound younger than i am and, unfortunately, can scare people! :( i just get really enthusiatic about things and kinda forget to breathe...oops :).

xaelia

neenlet
15+ Year Member
Aug 17, 2002
Christchurch, NZ
emlitofnote.com
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
Funny, they asked us that strength/weakness question at Pitt yesterday, and I said that I used to be a lot more cocky/arrogant and that was something I was working on...and the interviewer was really impressed that I had answered honestly because she was sick of hearing everyone's weaknesses that they turned into strengths (perfectionist, work too hard, etc.)

Fenrezz

AT Stills Worst Nightmare
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Apr 24, 2002
Ft. Tulsadale
Status (Visible)
I'm addicted to heroin. Sometimes when I can't make any money selling my body for more juice, I smoke crack to calm the cravings.

The interviewers seemed pleased with my honesty, although I guess my GPA wasn't high enough because I got rejected.

LoveDoc

Respect the Rhesus Monkey
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Aug 17, 2002
Midwest
Visit site
Status (Visible)
I am over critical of criticism. I like to analyze and over analyze. I produce quality results on a consistent basis and pride myself on exceeding expectations therefore when I am categorized as not meeting expectations, I over process the feedback.

rpames

Optometrist
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Apr 30, 2000
Oshkosh, WI
Visit site
Status (Visible)
  1. Optometrist
I worry about other people's problems too much. I guess I shouldn't become a psychiatrist.

Stupid people make me mad too.

About the Ads

galen

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Sep 12, 2002
Visit site
Status (Visible)
I dont know if Id say it in an interview, but mine is impatience with boring people. My mind wanders or jumps ahead ( or sidewise?)
BTW-- I AM trying to be a better listener. [It's awful when docs write in charts or read lab sheets while you're trying to tell them what's wrong with you]

Nefertari

Undercover Premed
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Aug 20, 2002
CA
Visit site
Status (Visible)
When I have to eat w/ people whose guts I can't stand, I get horrible indigestion. :( I don't have any patience in that situation. Just happened last weekend when I had to have dinner w/ my b-friend's sister (Lord, help me, soon to be my sister-in-law!), who's a real witch!

Though I wouldn't wanna say that in an interview, since they're trying to evaluate your social skills!!

athena21

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jul 20, 2002
frigid cold place
Visit site
Status (Visible)
speaking of eating...i can't STAND IT when people smack their food--it drives me nuts! I can't concentrate on anything and the sound just keeps getting amplified in my ears!!!

Marklar

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Aug 31, 2002
Northwestern Univ undergrad
Status (Visible)
When working in groups, I often take all the responsibility on myself, because i dont trust that others will do a "good enough" job, or will not put as much time into it as I do and the work will suffer as a result. So, I overinvolve myself, kindof as a perfectionist....I dunno, anyone think of a good one word answer for my situation here....dont think perfectionist or lack of trust is the wording I am looking for??

athena21

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jul 20, 2002
frigid cold place
Visit site
Status (Visible)
Marklar,
see, now is it bad for us to say we don't trust people on app/interview questions? while it makes us do more work, trust in coworkers is essential to patient care and diagnosis, team work and effort in medicine, right? i dunno...

cabruen

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
May 23, 2002
Minneapolis, MN
www.bruen.org
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
I have interviewed and hired hundreds of people, and this question is critical. The specific answer is almost utterly useless. What is critical, is the self-reflection and honesty in the answer. I promise that honest answers, especially if they demonstrate some keen self-awareness insight, are immensely more important than the topic of the weakness. Any of these psuedo-weaknesses (perfectionist, optimism, workaholic, etc.) are clearly seen at best as trite dismissive answers to the question, and at worse just outright lies. Answers such as Xaelias above, show a deep understanding of oneself, and attempts at iself-mproivement. In all the interviews I have conducted (over 1000), such an answer would always lead to a positive impression of the candidate, not a negative. We all of real weaknesses (well maybe not Dr. Kevin40 ;) ), and the sooner we can all realize ours, the sooner we can rid ourselves of them.

I'll contribute mine...just to take my own medicine. I am terribly self-critical and lack self-confidence. It leads me to over dependent on others opinion of me, my actions, and my decisions.

galen

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Sep 12, 2002
Visit site
Status (Visible)
Nefertiti--what about the inability to listen to profs with wierd mannerisms?? I had a prof who I swear stuck his tongue out quickly every three or four words like a snake and I couldnt listen to a word he said because I kept waiting for that tongue to come out. Another one I had kept pausing in the middle of sentences for no reason like even between a n adjective and a noun. It drove me CRAZY and I had to drop the course...

Spiderman [RNA Ladder 2003]

Platinum Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Apr 8, 2002
Visit site
Status (Visible)
Originally posted by galen
Nefertiti--what about the inability to listen to profs with wierd mannerisms?? I had a prof who I swear stuck his tongue out quickly every three or four words like a snake and I couldnt listen to a word he said because I kept waiting for that tongue to come out. Another one I had kept pausing in the middle of sentences for no reason like even between a n adjective and a noun. It drove me CRAZY and I had to drop the course...
:laugh:

Nefertari

Undercover Premed
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Aug 20, 2002
CA
Visit site
Status (Visible)
Originally posted by galen

Maybe they did those things w/ the intention of keeping your attention! :laugh: Profs have all these crazy rhetorical techniques while lecturing. I had one who would blast his voice w/o warning when he saw someone in class noding off. I hated it, cause I have a weak heart & would jump out of my seat everytime he did that.

This thread is more than 18 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.
About the Ads